Options

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda

Comments

• Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    There's no contradiction here at all. Nicki can be tongue in cheek, she can be funny about was supposedly a funny video in the first place. In fact she does it quite well. I think she's being herself if a little toned down. You should be on her back if she portrayed herself as something she's not. Can the bawdy or naughty be mainstream? Of course it can. And I think you are underestimating the understanding of the late teens audience who might follow Nicki Minaj.

Nicki minaj and two of her superfans reciting one of her raps word for word..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9573kGBtuE

I wonder if they are also going to learn the lyrics to anaconda.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Nicki minaj and two of her superfans reciting one of her raps word for word..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9573kGBtuE

I wonder if they are also going to learn the lyrics to anaconda.

You can't generalise from that. You really think that many of her fans are like that?
    If idols were run by their fans they would repeat the same stuff again and again.
    (I blame the parents there anyway.)
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Exactly. Also Nicki has never pandered to fans. She was never an act geared towards 5 year old children, why on earth would she start doing that now? If parents don't want their toddlers listening to her music or watching her videos, that's on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Exactly. Also Nicki has never pandered to fans. She was never an act geared towards 5 year old children, why on earth would she start doing that now? If parents don't want their toddlers listening to her music or watching her videos, that's on them.

I personally think she is geared towards children, her main audience is 10 -21 year old girls, she appears on shows like ellen, she's a judge on american idol, she does the voice to a character in ice age, she does collaborations with every single pop star and there best friend, she performs at the grammies and other award shows, product endorsements and adverts, hours are dedicated to her on music channels, she's high profile but then she comes out with a song like this. she needs to choose a lane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think she is geared towards children, her main audience is 10 -21 year old girls, she appears on shows like ellen, she's a judge on american idol, she does the voice to a character in ice age, she does collaborations with every single pop star and there best friend, she performs at the grammies and other award shows, product endorsements and adverts, hours are dedicated to her on music channels, she's high profile but then she comes out with a song like this. she needs to choose a lane.

I'd agree with you if the content and visuals of her songs had suddenly shifted drastically from what it's been since the second she put out her first LP. But it hasn't. She may have massive pop appeal which means her audience is far wider and more diverse than most rappers but that doesn't means she's ever made music for children unless you count that one track with Bieber. I also think she has a huge following amongst adult men and women, a huge gay following, arguably far greater than this 10-21 range you keep talking about.

How does performing on the Grammies and awards shows mean one is suddenly kid-friendly? Women artists from Madonna to Britney to Beyonce have done incredibly provocative, highly-sexualised performances at awards show since forever, does this suddenly mean their primary audience is children? If they were performing thusly on the Kids/Teen Choice Awards you'd have a leg to stand on but the Grammys, VMAs all come on after 8PM (US time) and are thus considered entertainment for adults. Furthermore, appearing on Ellen or any other daily talk show has absolutely nothing to do with anything. If she performed this song, she might do the clean version of the track but that doesn't mean she's not allowed to make the song at all.

How does Nicki being in high demand for collaborations with anyone from Beyonce to Bieber mean that she needs to water down her image and music to be more palatable to masses of under-aged people? And honestly, she's getting work voicing animated characters so this means she has to drastically change her image? For what purpose and to what end?

She does not need to choose a lane. She needs to do what she do because it's clearly working for her and she quite obviously enjoys it. There are always kiddy-friendly options for those that want them, see: Taylor Swift & Co.

All in all, I don't understand what you want from her. Artists that craft their music to appeal to children don't last very long and never have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All in all, I don't understand what you want from her. Artists that craft their music to appeal to children don't last very long and never have.

I dont think she purposely crafts her music for children. but she is still marketed towards them.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scary thing about this utter dross is it took 7 (SEVEN) people to write it.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Pretty good candidate for worst song ever.

And her looks are simply revolting.
  • Options
    Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video has beaten Miley Cyrus record of most Youtube views in 24 hours ! :o:D
  • Options
    Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video has beaten Miley Cyrus record of most Youtube views in 24 hours ! :o:D

Really pleased for her, I personally love Nicki, and thing that the video and song are different to what's in the charts :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you linking this here? I love this song but surely you can start a Talib thread.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where will this chart?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Where will this chart?

Top 10 I feel.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, I have no words for this music video. Bit over sexual though.
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I really like it actually, seems a bit tongue in cheek, I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously.

Oh good. Finally someone with a brain arrives.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Oh good. Finally someone with a brain arrives.

:D:D:D

I think its great and Nicki really knows what shes doing. She enters mainstream with a catchy song like "superbass and starships" which are radio friendly, but she has her pink hair and everything so people realise shes a bit different and take notice of her, her popularity is boosted, she has the record labels by the balls by the time pound the alarm comes out.

She does pills and potions to show she has a great voice and can write songs, but she also does "Anaconda" Its going to get a lot of views because it controversial. Its more than that though. Its taking the pee out of the music industry and general sexist body beautiful society we have. Nicki probably shares the same opinion on this as the rest of us on here.

Its gangnam style viral like qualities don't come as any surprise. NIcki knows if this was her first hit it would be huge but nobody would take her seriously again and would ignore her - like PSN. She knows exactly what shes doing.

If other artists want to stand out they need to do crazy things. being a talented artsit is no longer enough. Nicki is merly doing what the big artists of 70's and 80's did - men in makeup, women in sexier costumes, catchy songs, biting heads of doves. Don't blame Nicki blame society in general and record labels lacking creativity.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful song, awful video.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    What a load of shite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Don't like the sir mix a lot sample really, just seems like its been put in there for the sake of shock and doesnt really add anything
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Pretty good candidate for worst song ever.

And her looks are simply revolting.

I have to disagree with you there. I'm not a fan of hers at all but she looks stunning with a more 'natural' look.
    The song is dross though.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I've found a brilliant remix

http://youtu.be/fv--npievoI
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic video! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The competition released that week is Ella Henderson's "Glow" Charli XCX's "Break The Rules", LuvBug's "Resonance". Where do you think it'll chart comparatively? Will it have any staying power? Currently at #122 in the iTunes chart (6th highest pre order) so with over a month left for pre orders where do you think it'll peak? Will it climb or drop down the charts between release day and Saturday?

Side note: it jumped up 37 places this week in the US, held from the top spot by Taylor's number one debut! :D