Options

Germaine Greer - should she be taken seriously?

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I was most taken with her Guardian column a few months backs which pointed out all men only objected to paedophile imagery because they were distraught by their own attraction to them... she is of course always right and all men are paedohiles... :)

That's a very controversial assertion, Mes. Are you being serious or tongue in cheek ?

If serious, where is your evidence ?
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    That's a very controversial assertion, Mes. Are you being serious or tongue in cheek ?

If serious, where is your evidence ?

It was in her Guardian column... so yes I'm 100% serious. She was discussing an art exhibition that featured younger models and the public reaction to it. She is quite welcome to sue me...

Are they kept online.. I'd be quite happy to trawl through them :)
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    ^^
    Miscommunication.... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unusually in forum ettiquette I know... but behold.. a demand for evidence is met not with sullen anger for once... but actual evicence... :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/jun/16/art.australia

I draw your attentions to...
    Mothers may look at pictures like Henson's and howl with fear; but the man who rejects them with exaggerated horror is appalled not by the works themselves but by his own response to them.

Sorry for the delay... it took me a few long minutes to type Germain Greer into the Guardian Online search box ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was in her Guardian column... so yes I'm 100% serious. She was discussing an art exhibition that featured younger models and the public reaction to it. She is quite welcome to sue me...

Are they kept online.. I'd be quite happy to trawl through them :)
    Unusually in forum ettiquette I know... but behold.. a demand for evidence is met not with sullen anger for once... but actual evicence... :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/jun/16/art.australia

I draw your attentions to... ...
    Mothers may look at pictures like Henson's and howl with fear; but the man who rejects them with exaggerated horror is appalled not by the works themselves but by his own response to them.

Sorry for the delay... it took me a few long minutes to type Germain Greer into the Guardian Online search box ;)

The quote is not quite saying that all men are paedophiles though, is it. More that those who react with exaggerated horror may be unconciously projecting their own feelings. Moreover, it's not evidence either, it's simply opinion.

So do you still stick with the assertion that all men are paedophiles ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The quote is not quite saying that all men are paedophiles though, is it. More that those who react with exaggerated horror may be unconciously projecting their own feelings. Moreover, it's not evidence either, it's simply opinion.

So do you still stick with the assertion that all men are paedophiles ?

I stick by my assertion that that is what Germaine Greer was alleging yes... It was never my assertion (it was sarcasm... Ah I see... you've taken it literally out of context from the thread... the clue was in the "she is of course always right"...:rolleyes:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Socha wrote: »
    ^^
    Miscommunication.... :D

So it seems... context is always worth a look at... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was most taken with her Guardian column a few months backs which pointed out all men only objected to paedophile imagery because they were distraught by their own attraction to them... she is of course always right and all men are paedohiles... :)
    I stick by my assertion that that is what Germaine Greer was alleging yes... It was never my assertion (it was sarcasm... Ah I see... you've taken it literally out of context from the thread... the clue was in the "she is always right"...:rolleyes:).

Ah, I see ~ you could have said that in your first reply to me. Yet you give me the rolleyes for failing to understand your well concealed sarcasm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, I see ~ you could have said that in your first reply to me. Yet you give me the rolleyes for failing to understand your well concealed sarcasm.

Hardly well concealed Blueblade... If you feel I have genuinely called 50% of this forum's membership paedophiles (including myself) you must report me immediately to the moderation team... such an allegation cannot go unreported...

If however you see this thread about Germain Greer and notice that I refer to her article and her and don't concentrate on the last 5 words of that post only then maybe it would make more sense and you won't have to bother... Either way I will lose no sleep.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    mj2007mj2007 Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's threads like this which remind me why I come to this forum! :D
  • Options
    MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Overrated intellectual who may have been important in the 1970's, but as the younger female reaction to her more recent works has shown, is no longer relevant to today, and tends to still promote a dated feminist theory.

I tend to agree. I do feel that she just does things for the sake of it, to evoke such a big reaction, which would have worked 30 years ago when unheard of opinions would never be spoken or things back then were more narrow than nowadays, but I think she is stuck in a time warp, as well as her arse sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly well concealed Blueblade... If you feel I have genuinely called 50% of this forum's membership paedophiles (including myself) you must report me immediately to the moderation team... such an allegation cannot go unreported...

No, it would be your opinion, which you would be entitled to. Not for me to gainsay or criticise. Anyway, you've now explained your ambiguity.
    If however you see this thread about Germain Greer and notice that I refer to her article and her and don't concentrate on the last 5 words of that post only then maybe it would make more sense and you won't have to bother... Either way I will lose no sleep.:rolleyes:

All you had to do was clarify that it was sarcasm. There really is no need to make such a big deal out of it, or to come across as so unpleasant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »
    What are your opinions of this woman? Do you admire her, or do you despise her? Do you think she is overated or deserves the praise she gets? And more importantly, should she be taken seriously?

I quite like Germaine Greer, sometimes, but in anothers, she can really annoy, because she can be such a hypocrite and can contradict herself so many times to the point where now I think I shouldn't be taken her so seriously that she is just being sarcastic, whenever she keeps saying stuff like "I'm not interested in celeb culture" or "watching BB is looking through the keyhole of a teenagers bedroom", yet over the years on the Guardian website, she has written lots of articles, writing off these "zelebs" in great detail, or talking about Big Brother as if she is a hardcore viewer (which I think she is since she holds many views that other DS addicts hold, as well as the fact that she was silly enough to be on CBB despite her claims of slating it yet still talking about the programme).

And sometimes, when she does criticise people, she certainly doesn't mince with her words, and as much as she can be right, and I do think that it does seem so unlike the person or caricature that she wants to be portrayed, with some of her comments being derogatory.

I think she does it to get a rise out of people. Shock tactics
    intended to bait her audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, it would be your opinion, which you would be entitled to. Not for me to gainsay or criticise. Anyway, you've now explained your ambiguity.

All you had to do was clarify that it was sarcasm. There really is no need to make such a big deal out of it, or to come across as so unpleasant.

Lol...there was no need to take the last five words of a post and try to spin into into such a ridiculous suggestion... :D
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I used to quite like her but not so much now... I'd like to say more but it appears I've become quite indifferent to the woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...there was no need to take the last five words of a post and try to spin into into such a ridiculous suggestion... :D

Not an attempt at spin. If you look, you will note that I did ask whether you were being serious or tongue in cheek, and your initial response was that you were being 100% serious.

If you don't want to be misinterpreted, don't do sarcasm on the screen, where it's impossible to hear the intonation of a voice, to clarify that it is sarcasm. All you see are words on a screen. In the case of your post, you ended with a smile smilie ~ a rolleyes would have been apt there.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    In a funny sort of way, this thread more or less bears out what feminism has been trying to fight for so many years - the focus on one old bat and not on all the old dogs out there!

Yes, GG is incredibly up her own a**e these days - she has been there, said it all, been taken as a wise woman and now that she is getting on a bit, she needs to shout louder and louder to be heard.
    The problem is, a lot of what she is saying is not original or clever - and much of it is absolutely contradictory to what she said earlier in her life. Not that I believe one should always stick to what one said - God forbid that we should not change our views and modify them in the light of experience - but the problem with Greer is that one often gets the feeling that her views come from a sense of self-importance and a desire to put others down rather than any real new insights into the human condition.
    I also dislike intensely her very evident hatred of younger, smarter, prettier women - she does come out with some real guff about their morals, lack of knowledge etc. Right, so she was a prim and proper, very knowledgeable 20 something, wasn't she? :rolleyes:

So yes, sadly (because I think she was an icon in her earlier days), I do not now rate her at all - I think she is merely tiresome and I wish she would go away.

BUT - think of all the tiresome old (and some not so old, like Will Self) men who are still trying to put in their pennorth! The air waves are heaving with them. I wish they would all go away too! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not an attempt at spin. If you look, you will note that I did ask whether you were being serious or tongue in cheek, and your initial response was that you were being 100% serious.

Again you read only the part that suited you

It was in her Guardian column... so yes I'm 100% serious. She was discussing an art exhibition that featured younger models and the public reaction to it.

To be honest it wasn;t till your post stating clearly what you were getting at that I realsised you were saying it was my opinion that all men are paedophiles:confused:... so outlandish a suggestion based on so little substance.
    If you don't want to be misinterpreted, don't do sarcasm on the screen, where it's impossible to hear the intonation of a voice, to clarify that it is sarcasm. All you see are words on a screen. In the case of your post, you ended with a smile smilie ~ a rolleyes would have been apt there.

If you want to understand a post read it in it's entirely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Rude arrogant loud and unecessarily confrontational disguised as feminism.
    Can't stand the woman and just have to change channels when she appears on tv.
  • Options
    Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    I'd boff her.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most men react with horror and anger at the thought that they might be homosexual, doesn't mean every male is gay.

I think Greer would laugh heartily if she heard that she was being misinterpreted to this extent.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a lot of time for GG. I don't always agree with what she says, but she always seems to express herself intelligently, and isn't afraid to challenge accepted opinions on things.

I was surprised/disappointed when she went on CBB, but then I have no time for BB, full stop.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    No woman should be taken seriously, and should only comment on issues when it involves cooking, kittens or cushions, and then only when asked by their superiors (ie. men). If they try otherwise, then....

http://dublinopinion.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/slap.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Personally, I find her annoying and a bit of a joke.

I used to watch Late Review on Newsnight and how I used to :rolleyes: at the comments she'd come out with. She's always so desperate to appear 'radical' and controversial with her opinions, which is frightfully boring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GG and the rest of the world's global feminist groups are the reason women are still being held back! Feminists are more dangerous to the rights and future of women than any man!!