Options

Worried sick..

Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
Forum Member
Hi everyone, I am worried sick about what I am going to do if the vet tells me my dog will have to have surgery on her knee. The type of surgery she would need can't be done by my own vet, the surgery would have to be done by an orthopaedic surgeon at an animal hospital in Cambridge. The reason I am worried sick is because the surgery costs in the thousands and there is no way I would be able to pay for it. She is insured but the insurance wouldn't pay for it as it is a pre existing condition.

When she was only a puppy she would lift her back leg off the ground every now and again when she walked, I took her to my vet, the vet felt her knee and said her knee was popping out every now and then, this is known as a luxating patella and apparently the condition is graded from grade 1 to grade 4. If the condition is determined as grade 1 surgery is not needed, if it is up at 4 then surgery would most definately be recommended. The vet referred us to the hospital in Cambridge where she was examined and it was determined that her condition was grade 1 so was told surgery was not needed. I was told that it was possible it would right itself as she grew and she may not have any more problems in the future, although my own vet said it was possible it could recurr.

Anyway, she is now 7 years old and the problem has recurred :(. I took her to the vet a few months ago because she was limping and also lifting her leg off the ground occasionally. I discussed with my vet the fact that the insurance wouldn't pay for the cost of any surgery because she had had the problem as a puppy and it was before I had taken out my current insurance policy. The vet told me not to worry about surgery as dogs can live with a luxating patella as long as it does pop back in. I was worried about whether she was experiencing any pain but the vet assured me she was not and that the kneecap popping out now and then was more of an inconvenience than pain. She didn't show any signs of experiencing pain even when I touched her knee and was happy and lively.

Things seem to have changed in the last couple of days, she is hopping on 3 legs most of the time, she doesn't seem to want to put any weight on that leg and when she does try and walk with that leg down she has a really bad limp, also if I touch her knee now she yelps.:(:cry:

I rang the vets tonight and have an appointment tomorrow. I am worried sick that surgery will be the only option now...and if it is I don't know what I will do.

I want to do what is best for my dog.:cry:

Comments

• Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I know it's worrying but it's probably better to wait for a vet diagnosis and treatment plan than currently thinking the worse case scenario. If surgery is required, perhaps the insurance company will relent - even if it's a pre-existing condition, as such, the deterioration and need for surgery may be considered as new, relative to how the condition was likely to develop when you took out the policy. Perhaps the vet could be quite careful in his wording in the claim form? Or could you approach the PDSA or RSPCA for assistance in paying?

I know the RSPCA hospital in Putney treated my uncle's cat a few years ago for a nominal charge. He was a pensioner but they didn't even ask for evidence of ownership from the person who brought her in, my cousin who is obviously not a pensioner and earning a good salary.

Failing that, perhaps family could rally around to help? My father paid my Tabitha's excess a few years ago which was near on £1000 despite insurance. The bill may not be as large as you imagine. My cats have undergone several surgical procedures, my late Tabitha had 2 orthopaedic operations due to dislocation and fracture and I found the charges quite reasonable at the time, even though insurance paid.

You could try to rally some support via Facebook - I believe that is quite common nowadays. The vet may also allow you to pay via instalments.

I'm sure a solution can be found but I hope you receive positive news from your vet and that no surgery will be required after all.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I know it's worrying but it's probably better to wait for a vet diagnosis and treatment plan than currently thinking the worse case scenario. If surgery is required, perhaps the insurance company will relent - even if it's a pre-existing condition, as such, the deterioration and need for surgery may be considered as new, relative to how the condition was likely to develop when you took out the policy. Perhaps the vet could be quite careful in his wording in the claim form? Or could you approach the PDSA or RSPCA for assistance in paying?

I know the RSPCA hospital in Putney treated my uncle's cat a few years ago for a nominal charge. He was a pensioner but they didn't even ask for evidence of ownership from the person who brought her in, my cousin who is obviously not a pensioner and earning a good salary.

Failing that, perhaps family could rally around to help? My father paid my Tabitha's excess a few years ago which was near on £1000 despite insurance. The bill may not be as large as you imagine. My cats have undergone several surgical procedures, my late Tabitha had 2 orthopaedic operations due to dislocation and fracture and I found the charges quite reasonable at the time, even though insurance paid.

You could try to rally some support via Facebook - I believe that is quite common nowadays. The vet may also allow you to pay via instalments.

I'm sure a solution can be found but I hope you receive positive news from your vet and that no surgery will be required after all.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for your suggestions, it's much appreciated.:)

I will wait to see what the vet says tomorrow.

Thanks again.x
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our late Rosie Chihuahua had a grade 3-4 in those days surgery was not as common but we were taught how to put the knee cap back ourselves so when it happened it was a couple of minutes at most until she was walking and pain free. Perhaps your vet could show you how to do it. Would be a much cheaper option than surgery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Took my dog to the vet, she examined her and has diagnosed a ruptured cruciate ligament. If surgery was done by an orthopaedic surgeon it would cost a few thousand pounds. As my insurance wont pay for the surgery and I simply don't have thousands of pounds to spare the vet has said there is a surgical procedure she can do where she can put a strong suture in to keep the kneecap in place.

I'm really happy there is an alternative to full orthopaedic surgery to help my dog as I really was worried sick about what I could do if that was the only option for her.

However, the vet wants to see if it can heal by itself first before considering doing the surgery, so has told me to keep her rested for two weeks and she will examine her again after that time.

I will do what the vet has told me but I feel really sorry for Lily as she loves her walks and she is going to be really unhappy about not being able to go for two weeks(10 weeks if she has to have the surgery). :(

Poor Lily.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww poor thing, and yes it's difficult when you have to keep them in, best to keep their brains working at those times we find. Tires them out almost as much as a walk.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog ruptured her cruciet ligament in December. She was excited when a family member came home and was running around and bang it just went. Our options were surgery or wait and see as in smaller dogs it can heal.

We opted to wait and see as I didn't want to have to put her through the surgery and recovery. It took a full two month before she improved and now she's walking on it with no problems. For over a month she held it up when she walked or ran but then one day I noticed she was walking on it and she has ever since!!!

We restricted exercise during the healing time, stopped her jumping up on the sofa and things. That was the hardest part but we did our best to limit her doing that. I also purchased Yumove from Pets at Home. It's a fantastic supplement for the joints and I believe that helped.

So hang in there and give it time is what I would suggest. I was so upset thinking about surgery and the huge costs. I waited a month and as she hadn't improved I didn't think it would heal but it did in the end. It does take a long time but be patient and hopefully it should heal up.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't expect any improvement in just 2 weeks. That's what one vet said to me come back in two weeks. I sought advice from my regular vet who had been away at the time when she did it and he said a month at least but I gave it two months after reading online. And it's all better now. Restricting them is hard but it has to be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Aww poor thing, and yes it's difficult when you have to keep them in, best to keep their brains working at those times we find. Tires them out almost as much as a walk.

I do feel really sorry for her though because she absolutely loves going out. Even though she has this problem with her leg she still got really excited when I got her lead out of the drawer to take her to the vets on wednesday...she thought she was going out for a walk:(. Even with a bad leg she wanted to.

Whatever happens, the likelihood is she wont be able to go out for a lot longer than two weeks and i'm worried about her being miserable.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    credit card OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marieukxx wrote: »
    My dog ruptured her cruciet ligament in December. She was excited when a family member came home and was running around and bang it just went. Our options were surgery or wait and see as in smaller dogs it can heal.

We opted to wait and see as I didn't want to have to put her through the surgery and recovery. It took a full two month before she improved and now she's walking on it with no problems. For over a month she held it up when she walked or ran but then one day I noticed she was walking on it and she has ever since!!!

We restricted exercise during the healing time, stopped her jumping up on the sofa and things. That was the hardest part but we did our best to limit her doing that. I also purchased Yumove from Pets at Home. It's a fantastic supplement for the joints and I believe that helped.

So hang in there and give it time is what I would suggest. I was so upset thinking about surgery and the huge costs. I waited a month and as she hadn't improved I didn't think it would heal but it did in the end. It does take a long time but be patient and hopefully it should heal up.

Thanks for that, you've given me some hope at least. Although, i'm not too optimistic about a full recovery to be honest because she had a problem with that knee before she ruptured the cruciate. She has a slipping patella as well.:(

Anyway, I will hang in there, do as the vet said and hope for the best.

marieukxx wrote: »
    Don't expect any improvement in just 2 weeks. That's what one vet said to me come back in two weeks. I sought advice from my regular vet who had been away at the time when she did it and he said a month at least but I gave it two months after reading online. And it's all better now. Restricting them is hard but it has to be done.

When I take her back in two weeks if the vet suggests surgery I may ask if we can leave it a little while longer after reading your post.

I don't want to put her through surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, on the other hand I just want her leg to get sorted as soon as possible so she can enjoy her life again.

Thanks for your replies.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on her size I wonder if she could still get out for some fresh air if you carried her ? we used to do that with our late chi and while it wasn't ideal she seemed happy to just be out and about seeing the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depending on her size I wonder if she could still get out for some fresh air if you carried her ? we used to do that with our late chi and while it wasn't ideal she seemed happy to just be out and about seeing the world.

She is a miniature Yorkie, so pretty small.:)

I guess that is an option, although she does love to walk and run.

There is a guy I see sometimes when out walking Lily that pushes his dog around in a pushchair.:)
  • Options
    mavis b sausagemavis b sausage Posts: 3,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming to this thread a bit late but wanted to say please speak to your insurance company, ruptured cruciate and luxating patella are very different things and they should not be excluding the former because of the latter, if that makes sense. Have no fears over the op, specially if your own vet is happy to do a suture. A tiny dog like a Yorkie should do very well with this type of surgery :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coming to this thread a bit late but wanted to say please speak to your insurance company, ruptured cruciate and luxating patella are very different things and they should not be excluding the former because of the latter, if that makes sense. Have no fears over the op, specially if your own vet is happy to do a suture. A tiny dog like a Yorkie should do very well with this type of surgery :)

Thank you Mavis.:)

My insurance said they will pay for my vet to do a suture and Lily is booked in to have it done tomorrow.

I hope you are right about her doing well with this type of surgery because I really am worried about it, especially worried about whether this type of procedure will be long lasting.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishing Lily good luck with her op please let us know how she does.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope all goes well. I wanted to recommend this book. Sian is our trainer and is amazing, really knows what she is talking about and trained up to her eyeballs in good, positive training. I thought it might be helpful post op as it's all stuff you can do with a dog who can't for whatever reason goes for walkies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/walks-worries-Maintaining-wellbeing-restricted/dp/1845846052
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wishing Lily good luck with her op please let us know how she does.

Thank you molliepops.:)

I will be dropping her off at the vets at 8.30 this morning and she has to stay overnight.:cry:

I will let you know how she does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I hope all goes well. I wanted to recommend this book. Sian is our trainer and is amazing, really knows what she is talking about and trained up to her eyeballs in good, positive training. I thought it might be helpful post op as it's all stuff you can do with a dog who can't for whatever reason goes for walkies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/walks-worries-Maintaining-wellbeing-restricted/dp/1845846052

Oh that looks good.

Thanks very much for that, I appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    AhamPremaAhamPrema Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Sorry I'm coming late to the thread but just wanted to wish you well today Nicola. My dog had a different type of surgery but I know how heart-wrenching it is to come home without them, especially if there's an overnight stay. Hope it makes a big difference for Lily so she can start to enjoy her walks again. The book looks like it will be a great help for her recuperation period. Try not to worry too much today before you know it she'll be home and pleased to see you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AhamPrema wrote: »
    Sorry I'm coming late to the thread but just wanted to wish you well today Nicola. My dog had a different type of surgery but I know how heart-wrenching it is to come home without them, especially if there's an overnight stay. Hope it makes a big difference for Lily so she can start to enjoy her walks again. The book looks like it will be a great help for her recuperation period. Try not to worry too much today before you know it she'll be home and pleased to see you :)

Thank you.:)

I really missed her last night, the house doesn't feel the same when she's not here.:(

Anyway, she has had the op and is back home, she is feeling a bit sorry for herself at the moment but at least the op went okay, it's just a case of recuperating for the next few weeks.

I have just been on Amazon and ordered a doggy stroller(:D)so I can still take her out to the park while she is unable to go for walks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »

I really missed her last night, the house doesn't feel the same when she's not here.:(

Anyway, she has had the op and is back home, she is feeling a bit sorry for herself at the moment but at least the op went okay, it's just a case of recuperating for the next few weeks.

I have just been on Amazon and ordered a doggy stroller(:D)so I can still take her out to the park while she is unable to go for walks.

Glad all went well and that she's home safe and sound :)

Goodness had no idea doggy strollers were so sophisticated, have just been having a browse on Amazon :o Now feel like I've been short changing my poor pooch when he was poorly and bored :( Lucky Lily - is she having it in pink or cherry red? :D Lovely idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh so happy for you, and she is a lucky pup having such a kind owner !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AhamPrema wrote: »
    Glad all went well and that she's home safe and sound :)

Goodness had no idea doggy strollers were so sophisticated, have just been having a browse on Amazon :o Now feel like I've been short changing my poor pooch when he was poorly and bored :( Lucky Lily - is she having it in pink or cherry red? :D Lovely idea.

She's having pink to match her pink bling collar.:blush::D I keep wondering now though whether I should have gone for red instead, my OH says don't expect him to push it around.:D

To be honest I didn't know that they made strollers for dogs, I initially searched for dog carriers on google and there were some strollers in amongst the carriers that came up.

My friends and work colleagues are laughing at the thought of me pushing a dog around in a pushchair:D but I really can't bear the thought of her being stuck indoors for up to 6 weeks, not being able to go out to the places she loves to go. Okay, it's not quite the same, as she wont be able to walk and run, as she loves to do...but it's better than being stuck inside 24/7.

I only hope she likes being pushed around in it.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh so happy for you, and she is a lucky pup having such a kind owner !

Thank you molliepops.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's having pink to match her pink bling collar.:blush::D I keep wondering now though whether I should have gone for red instead, my OH says don't expect him to push it around.:D

To be honest I didn't know that they made strollers for dogs, I initially searched for dog carriers on google and there were some strollers in amongst the carriers that came up.

My friends and work colleagues are laughing at the thought of me pushing a dog around in a pushchair:D but I really can't bear the thought of her being stuck indoors for up to 6 weeks, not being able to go out to the places she loves to go. Okay, it's not quite the same, as she wont be able to walk and run, as she loves to do...but it's better than being stuck inside 24/7.

I only hope she likes being pushed around in it.:D

:D Better restrain yourself on Amazon or who knows what natty little accessories will be making it onto the list next - they do some rather fetching little hair bows and bandannas :p

Seriously it's a great idea, she'll get to enjoy the sights and smells and much better than weeks of being confined to quarters. OH can do the evening outings under cover of darkness :D

Wish it had been an option for our dog but he'd have been too big and heavy. He went in for an op on his leg but the vet said while he was under anaesthetic it would be a good idea to remove various lumps so when he arrived home there was hardly a part of him that hadn't been shaved and stitched up and we could tell that he couldn't get comfortable in any position. You feel very responsible and you can't explain it's all for the best but they heal up in no time and worth it to see them out of pain and enjoying life again.