Westie with hip/leg problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
Forum Member
Hi all please don't judge me. This is going to be a long post because I just want to put it all down somewhere.

I have a Westie rescue that I've had for seven years, he was estimated to be between four and six when we got him. He was going to be put down by Battersea when we got him as they had tried to rehome him on two separate occasions and he had bitten, so they thought he was aggressive and beyond hope.

So, we took him and the first six months were tough, but he has been an absolute joy since then.

Last November he got a gastro problem that nearly killed him and since then he hasn't been the same. He's affectionate and appears to be happy. But he doesn't want to play. He just wants a couple of really short walks a day and some food; the rest of the time he sleeps.

Last Friday he started limping on his back leg. We took him to the vet and they think it's either cruciate leg ligaments but more likely he needs a hip replacement. Both of these are beyond our means financially. We don't qualify for PDSA vets etc, also I'm not sure that I want him to go through major surgery as he is a nervous dog anyway and being in a cage in a vets would distress him massively. I feel dreadful for not having the surgery, but the other side of me is thinking he has had a good life and I want him to have a good quality of life for the short time he's got left.

I'm not sure what advice I want really, I just wanted to get it out as I can't sleep properly with the thoughts running around my head.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been of the opinion PTS is not the worst can happen to a dog, if you believe his life is being made miserable by the illness then you won't get any argument from me that it may be for the best. How ever I would suggest a proper talk with the vet, it may be possible to come to some arrangement to pay off over a time the surgery, or they may have some suggestion that would cost less to achieve a pain free time for him.

I would be talking about the lack of quality of life since the illness too as that doesn't sound right and wonder if something cold be underlying this causing the problem, eg a friend of ours had her dog's surgery done (knee) only to discover a week or so later her Jock had cancer and had it prior to the surgery so with that new knowledge she had to have him PTS but was now left with a huge bill for the surgery.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What tests has he had? X-rays?

He's quite an old lad, could be jsut a touch of arthritis,

Even severe problems can usually be managed with painkillers, physio and/or supplements, short term.

It's hard not to worry, but it won't help, you need to speak to your vet about options you can afford, expensive surgery isn't the only way :)

All the best x
  • Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mopp I feel for you, I also have a 18 month old Westie and know how special these little attitude dogs can be.