Companions without the Doctor

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Being friends with the doctor and traveling in the Tardis is intense all of time and space.Must be a bit of a come down when you leave and try to rebuild a "normal" life.

Rose Tyler got to live her life with a half human version of her beloved 10 even if it was in a alternate universe. :blush:

Martha Jones and Mickey Smith ended up married and working for Unit.:)

Donna Noble bless her lost her memories but was with her family and won the lottery.:D

Seems the 3 Ponds Amy,Rory and Melody aka River got the worst deal. Sad when Rory said in TATM that without Amy there was nothing else. Yes they had each other and an adopted son Anthony in 1940's New York.

They were still cut off from all their other family and friends for the rest of their lives.:(:cry:

If Clara does survive her last adventure will she be able to fufill her hopes and dreams after leaving her best friend in the blue box ?.Only one way to find out.

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if, in Classic Who, there was ever any attention paid to the companion's "journey".

They tended to be introduced when the Doctor needed a new travelling companion, and written out when the actor wanted to leave.

Poor old Sarah Jane travelled with the Doctor for about three years, and her exit was two minutes bolted onto the end of The Hand of Fear. Leela fared even worse. Mel's made no sense at all.

I think in new Who there is more of an attempt to give the companions their own story with a beginning, middle and end. Some of them are happy and some not so much, but a lot more thought goes into it.

You say the Pond's got the worse deal - did they though? I can't help but think they probably had a very happy life together, even if it was in the past. And they certainly lived long lives which they wouldn't of (in my opinion) if they'd kept travelling with the Doctor. Although I am still a little confused as to whether River was able to visit them or not.

I'm not sure where Clara's story will go because her story has been such an enormous mess. I can only assume she'll be reunited with Danny at the end of season 9.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    In the Classic era - Barbara & Ian had a happy ending. Susan stayed behind to wed her beloved David. The rest of them were normally ditched in the last few minutes of the story! Poor Dodo just vanished after 2 episodes of The War Machines!
    Jamie & Zoe were given a decent send off.
    Jo Grant was also given a nice ending too.
    As for Adric.....:o
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'm not sure if, in Classic Who, there was ever any attention paid to the companion's "journey".

They tended to be introduced when the Doctor needed a new travelling companion, and written out when the actor wanted to leave.

Poor old Sarah Jane travelled with the Doctor for about three years, and her exit was two minutes bolted onto the end of The Hand of Fear. Leela fared even worse. Mel's made no sense at all.
    It might be true that it was bolted on, but I felt that was one of the stronger departures, New Who included.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The novels occasionally explained what happened to Classic companions, canonicity aside. I'm thinking of Ian & Barbara in Face of the Enemy and Dodo in Who Killed Kennedy.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    It might be true that it was bolted on, but I felt that was one of the stronger departures, New Who included.

I was six when The Hand of Fear was broadcast. I'd grown up thinking Doctor Who was about the Doctor and Sarah Jane. So I was terribly confused when he left her behind on Earth.

And then after The Deadly Assassin I was like "OK, so he's been home to Gallifrey and now . . back to Earth to collect Sarah Jane?". But he didn't. He went on without her, found new companions. As a child it just didn't make sense at all.

I certainly agree that their final scene together was more touching and had more gravitas than others. But for me it left the door open for Sarah Jane to return a few episodes later, where as it would have been better if it had been more of a definite conclusion.

I spent the next few years waiting for her to come back. 30 years to be exact. Thank goodness for School Reunion - finally some closure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eleven has some closure work to do with Jo Jones nee Grant in the SJA Death of the Doctor. I love it that Sarah Jane and Jo believe they'd have felt it if the Doctor had died.
    Forum Member
    I think its about time another old companion made an appearance! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get William (Ian Chesterton) back to Coal Hill School to find the TARDIS like the Reveal in School Reunion. He's Chair of Governors, after all.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was six when The Hand of Fear was broadcast. I'd grown up thinking Doctor Who was about the Doctor and Sarah Jane. So I was terribly confused when he left her behind on Earth.

And then after The Deadly Assassin I was like "OK, so he's been home to Gallifrey and now . . back to Earth to collect Sarah Jane?". But he didn't. He went on without her, found new companions. As a child it just didn't make sense at all.

I certainly agree that their final scene together was more touching and had more gravitas than others. But for me it left the door open for Sarah Jane to return a few episodes later, where as it would have been better if it had been more of a definite conclusion.

I spent the next few years waiting for her to come back. 30 years to be exact. Thank goodness for School Reunion - finally some closure!

Lovely post, Mulett. I felt pretty much the same. And then when we did get to see her again...blimey, I was that kid all over again.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being friends with the doctor and traveling in the Tardis is intense all of time and space.Must be a bit of a come down when you leave and try to rebuild a "normal" life.

Normal for The Doctor's ex-companions could be quite interesting. Clara could blog about her normal day and The Doctor could keep in touch by writing witty stuff. There could be laughs, there could be silences and there could be, always that, goes without saying, no explanation.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    In the Classic era - Barbara & Ian had a happy ending. Susan stayed behind to wed her beloved David. The rest of them were normally ditched in the last few minutes of the story! Poor Dodo just vanished after 2 episodes of The War Machines!
    Jamie & Zoe were given a decent send off.
    Jo Grant was also given a nice ending too.
    As for Adric.....:o
    I think the worst ones were Adric (if he's such a clever-clogs, he should have realised it was a Fixed Point in Time and escaped instead of trying to stop what turned out to be the dinosaur extinction), Sarah Jane (left behind because humans were banned from Gallifrey? Leela's exit proves this to be a lie). Leela (left to marry someone she just met), and Peri (supposedly killed, in actuality married off). The worst introduction is definitely Mel - they should've had the same companion throughout Trial of a Time Lord. Would've averted the meeting out of order thing that way.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    I think the worst ones were Adric (if he's such a clever-clogs, he should have realised it was a Fixed Point in Time and escaped instead of trying to stop what turned out to be the dinosaur extinction), Sarah Jane (left behind because humans were banned from Gallifrey? Leela's exit proves this to be a lie). Leela (left to marry someone she just met), and Peri (supposedly killed, in actuality married off). The worst introduction is definitely Mel - they should've had the same companion throughout Trial of a Time Lord. Would've averted the meeting out of order thing that way.

I don't think Adric knew it was a fixed point in time and probably wasn't aware of the 'asteroid' that wiped out the dinosaurs.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    That whole Mel thing was a bit baffling. So the Doctor meets Mel 'after' he met her first!
    When exactly did he pick her up then? An unseen adventure, obviously.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Adric knew it was a fixed point in time and probably wasn't aware of the 'asteroid' that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Had the Doctor started talking about 'fixed points in time' by then? I can't remember when he first mentioned them.
  • NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Get William (Ian Chesterton) back to Coal Hill School to find the TARDIS like the Reveal in School Reunion. He's Chair of Governors, after all.
    Now that's a fun idea!

It is my belief that Mel doesn't make any sense period!

Still pissed about Donna though - soo unfair how all her development and growth just disappeared after the Metacrisis! Way more interesting to me than Martha or Rose just because she had such an obvious arc and started from such unpromising beginnings. I hope she does get to be more than the best Temp in Chiswick and stays that way! I'd love them to wangle a solution and get her back, but that'll never happen!

Poor Sarah Jane! Did I mishear or did she tell the Doctor off and say she'd been accidentally dropped in Aberdeen? A long way from London at any rate....

Ace will either be totally awesome somewhere being really cool or be bored rigid, trapped in Surrey suburbia with some annoying kids and a wet husband whose in some terribly boring job like accountancy and a huge mortgage whilst she's dreaming about the days when she used to travel in space and time and do battle with space monsters in a bomber jacket and make nitrogycerene! I concede I absolutely loved her just because she was my Companion - which dates me rather I know! Would be quite an amusing pick-up though, the TARDIS suddenly appearing in the veggie patch, the Doctor sticking out the door and asking "have you seen your mother anywhere? I need her to help me save the universe - again!" And then get all Magnificent Seven with good ex-Companions - too much to hope for, far too much - sigh....

As to whether Jo Grant's marriage to the drippy 1970s Professor from 'The Green Death' worked out, it's anyone's guess. I re-read an old magazine interview SFX, I think it was, a few days ago, when Katy Manning said she thought it would be a disaster and she's probably married a few times but then again, the Sarah Jane Adventures outing 'Death of a Doctor' appears to contradict the actor's theory - hey ho!

Absolutely love to see what Romana's up to as well, since we last saw her on-screen in E-Space.

Adric was an annoying waste of space - period!
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    Now that's a fun idea!

It is my belief that Mel doesn't make any sense period!

Ace will either be totally awesome somewhere being really cool or be bored rigid, trapped in Surrey suburbia with some annoying kids and a wet husband whose in some terribly boring job like accountancy and a huge mortgage whilst she's dreaming about the days when she used to travel in space and time and do battle with space monsters in a bomber jacket and make nitrogycerene! I concede I absolutely loved her just because she was my Companion - which dates me rather I know! Would be quite an amusing pick-up though, the TARDIS suddenly appearing in the veggie patch, the Doctor sticking out the door and asking "have you seen your mother anywhere? I need her to help me save the universe - again!" And then get all Magnificent Seven with good ex-Companions - too much to hope for, far too much - sigh....

As to whether Jo Grant's marriage to the drippy 1970s Professor from 'The Green Death' worked out, it's anyone's guess. I re-read an old magazine interview SFX, I think it was, a few days ago, when Katy Manning said she thought it would be a disaster and she's probably married a few times but then again, the Sarah Jane Adventures outing 'Death of a Doctor' appears to contradict the actor's theory - hey ho!

Absolutely love to see what Romana's up to as well, since we last saw her on-screen in E-Space.
    !

Well if you believe what Sarah jane thought she discovered, Ace may be running a worldwide charity foundation, also Jo's marriage lasted till now with them traveling all over the world for Eco causes and she had was it six children? and there are books or audiobooks carrying on Romana's story.
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    Had the Doctor started talking about 'fixed points in time' by then? I can't remember when he first mentioned them.
    That exact phrase wasn't used until the revival as far as I know, but the concept will have still been around. An early Hartnell story had the line "you can't change history, not one line!" which essentially means the same thing, that the location they were currently in was a fixed point in time.
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    Well if you believe what Sarah jane thought she discovered, Ace may be running a worldwide charity foundation, also Jo's marriage lasted till now with them traveling all over the world for Eco causes and she had was it six children? and there are books or audiobooks carrying on Romana's story.
    Not audiobooks - full cast audio adventures! The series is called Gallifrey and features Romana, Leela, and K9 mks 1 and 2 in the first six seasons, and Ace gets an appearance too in the single serial seventh (they went ahead with the Time Lord Academy thing they had planned, she even has her own Tardis! And this got released AFTER the A Charitable Earth mention in SJA, and don't forget that Night of the Doctor made Big Finish canon).
    http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Gallifrey_(audio_series)
    http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Intervention_Earth_(audio_story)
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The companions are generally much better written in NuWho with a sense of real lives and families outside of The Doctor.
    In the old series they barely had a back story,only enough to say why they're with the Doctor now and then their old lives forgotten.To be fair other media (books,comics and audio) have done a good job fleshing out some of the classic companions,but they're still not as complete as the new guys.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Clara's exit when Jenna Coleman one day leaves is as depressing as Amy and Rory's. What if she found out she was actually a splinter herself and ends up dying to save the Doctor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »

This.

Surely it would happen at least once whilst he's a school governor?
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    The companions are generally much better written in NuWho with a sense of real lives and families outside of The Doctor.
    In the old series they barely had a back story,only enough to say why they're with the Doctor now and then their old lives forgotten.To be fair other media (books,comics and audio) have done a good job fleshing out some of the classic companions,but they're still not as complete as the new guys.

Nyssa's a great example of what you're describing. In New Who, the Doctor barely stopped going on about being the last of the Time Lords and the loss of his home world.

But poor old Nyssa! Her dad was murdered by the Master who also possessed his body - so every time she saw the evil sod, it was her own father's face she was looking at. Then she watched her own home planet 'blip' out of existence right in front of her eyes, thanks to the Master setting off a cosmic wave of entropy. And every time she met the Master thereafter he was trying to kill her. Surely enough to put the poor girl into therapy for the rest of her life!

And yet apart from fainting, once, it was never really mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyssa's a great example of what you're describing. In New Who, the Doctor barely stopped going on about being the last of the Time Lords and the loss of his home world.

But poor old Nyssa! Her dad was murdered by the Master who also possessed his body - so every time she saw the evil sod, it was her own father's face she was looking at. Then she watched her own home planet 'blip' out of existence right in front of her eyes, thanks to the Master setting off a cosmic wave of entropy. And every time she met the Master thereafter he was trying to kill her. Surely enough to put the poor girl into therapy for the rest of her life!

And yet apart from fainting, once, it was never really mentioned.
    Nyssa's situation is hardly worse than the Doctor's, considering he has spent years believing he committed mass genocide on his own people and planet.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Nyssa's situation is hardly worse than the Doctor's, considering he has spent years believing he committed mass genocide on his own people and planet.

It's not that it was worse (although there is the difference that the Doctor made the decision and chose to live with the consequences, whereas Nyssa was completely helpless), it's that Nyssa's situation was never addressed or considered again.