Justin Timberlake- Suit and Tie

Comments

• farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It's Justin though. I said on this forum before there's no way he'd ever release a song like Starships. I have so much respect for him, music isn't about getting big hits.

Every act that signs to a major label is chasing commercial sucess to some degree. A lot that sign to a major do think they can balance a commercial product with their own personal sense of artistry but at the end of the day it is about hits for artists like JT.

We're talking about the guy who released Sexyback. He may have rolled his eyes afterwards but he wasn't complaining at the time. This isn't any different, the Jay Z feature, the 24 hour itunes exclusivity etc.

Not to mention he took his breakup with Britney Spears and made it the main theme of a music video for a breakup song knowing full it would result in rampant tabloid fodder and hype for the song. He deliberately linked himself to everyone from Janet Jackson to Alyssa Milano and played coy in interviews to create gossip buzz around him. The guy does stuff to be noticed. He isn't an artist for the sake of being an artist.
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    He is chasing a trend though - the alt urban sound. I'm very disappointed tbh.

Pretty much this. Justin is very good at spotting upcoming trends and jumping on them at the right time. This is a talent in itself I suppose but it kind of irks me that people will fall over themselves to praise him for being different. He's not being that different and he's JT, he can afford to be a little different.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely dated. It will sell based on his name alone. Very disappointed with this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Please tell me this is a joke! What I just heard cannot be his big comeback single after a 7-year hiatus!

The production brings me back to 2003, although I doubt this track would make his 'Justified' album tbh. The vocals are weak and whiny and let's be real, his voice has always been like that, but his clever songwriting and the top notch beats used to conceal it. This jazz-influenced production just showcases how vocally incompetent he is. The lyrics are also pretty awful.

Overall, the track is not even strong enough to be an album filler, let alone a lead single from the follow-up to 'Future Sex', which was a gem. This is disappointing for the fans and embarassing for him. And I'm still rooting for him to come back with a proper song, since I used to be a huge fan, but this song makes me cringe.
    Forum Member
    Extremely dated. It will sell based on his name alone. Very disappointed with this.
    That doesn't happen anymore. He will sell as much as Christina's 'Not Myself Tonight' and Nelly Furtado's 'Big Hoops' did. That's all that the name alone can provide. I'll be very surprised if this song gets any airplay, unless his label is willing to use payola.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it actually...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    That doesn't happen anymore. He will sell as much as Christina's 'Not Myself Tonight' and Nelly Furtado's 'Big Hoops' did. That's all that the name alone can provide. I'll be very surprised if this song gets any airplay, unless his label is willing to use payola.

Lol maybe:D

Here's hoping single #2 is the real comeback:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicmars wrote: »
    People just wants straight up pop/electro bubblegum music these days smh

For me, not even a little bit. RnB is my favorite genre of music ass I'm sure I've mentioned here to an annoying degree, but I just don't like the song. The lyrics are throw away, the concept is a bit weird. Maybe it will grow on me.

I do hate the argument that it sounds dated, though. I hear people say that about music all the time and it frustrates me. Good music is good music from whichever era. I could easily say Black Heart sounds dated, but it's a good song. I feel like people use that to say it doesn't sound like everything else which is a good thing. I think people are brainwashed into thinking that all pop music of a certain time frame should should identical to each other, when that should be far from the case. And to write off something because you think it sounds old, is stupid. I don't like it because it sucks, not because it doesn't sound "current."
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I love this song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I really loved his whole Justified album and hated Sexyback! I really like this, I think its classy and different to a lot of whats in the charts at the minute.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This track is not wack....it's hot. The two new trends coming are ratchet-pop i.e. Rihanna - Phresh Out The Runway, other stars like Beyonce etc will be following that, and then R&B like this....Usher, Chris Brown and even Bieber are turning to this....

I think this track is hot, but it sounds weird in the current moment because it's extremely on trend, I like this track on first listen, it's good to have JT back. :D
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what threw me off when I first heard the song was how different it is compared to what's in the charts atm, I love dance, pop and electro music but this song just gives me a chilled, laid back feeling that I haven't heard from a song in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to hear a song like this then you can. There are hundreds of filler tracks on albums that sound exactly like it. There's nothing new here. I don't dislike it because it's ''different'' or cutting edge (please). I dislike it because it's boring.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First listen I was pleasantly surprised (Until Jay Z had to join in....).

I hated sexyback on first listen, and I hated like I love you. I remember even playing a colleague the sexyback tune at work and saying "this is awful, what is he thinking" yet after a couple of weeks I loved it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I think what threw me off when I first heard the song was how different it is compared to what's in the charts atm, I love dance, pop and electro music but this song just gives me a chilled, laid back feeling that I haven't heard from a song in years.

Exactly this!! Freshest song I've heard in a minute. Loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick Ross wrote: »
    Exactly this!! Freshest song I've heard in a minute. Loved it.

Do you like it because it's different or do you like it because it's good? I have the same theory about LDR. I think people really only like her because she sounds different to everyone else that is popular right now, and not necessarily because her music is good. If everyone made music like her, I doubt people would like her so much.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been a huge fan, so my opinion is not one he would worry about anyway... But I really liked Cry me a River! And like the rest of the world, I was curious about what he came up with.

It sounds slick and polished, but a little boring... There is nothing that grabs your attention, and I couldn't sing the melody even if I have just listened to it.
    With loads of radio airplay, anything can chart, but can he get airplay on his name only?
    Thing is people are bound to be disapointed if that's his big come back single IMO.
  • Alpo.Alpo. Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this sums it up;
    http://i.imgur.com/TIdud.gif

although it is growing on me..i can't listen to it without thinking it's a Robin Thicke b-side.

it's alright without actually being great..not what people were expecting.
    it's quiet for that Jay verse though...throwaway verse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just heard it on the radio in the car and it sounds a lot better there. I agree with the robin thick comparison. Especially on the radio it sounds like him.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not sure what to make of it. It's not bad but not great either.
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the track. kind of old school vibe but a nice change from the same old dance tracks most people release these days...

its not a club banger as people would call it but its pretty classy i think!, really happy that he is back and hope he can be just as popular. he was the biggest male pop singer in the world before he left so lets hope he can reclaim that from the other justin who is totally dire!,

btw anyone that is worried about this being a rather weak first track just have to take a look at mj's thriller and bad's first singles......
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I like the tone but the lyrics are a bit cringey for me.
    Not sexy , Justin needs to be sexy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible. Lol at people eating this up. Released under any other name the reaction who be "who cares".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »

Umm the song is #1 in many many countries' itunes right now. Christina and Nelly aren't as desirable as Justin is right now. People have heard their music and rejected it. Justin's last music was accepted by the masses, so people are still interested in him. The same can't be said for Xtina and Nelly.
    Forum Member
    Umm the song is #1 in many many countries' itunes right now. Christina and Nelly aren't as desirable as Justin is right now. People have heard their music and rejected it. Justin's last music was accepted by the masses, so people are still interested in him. The same can't be said for Xtina and Nelly.
    Going to #1 on iTunes on the first day is not a task for someone of his calibre. I heard it was #1 in about 8 or 9 countries and 'Your Body' was #1 in 7 countries, which just proves that #1 on the first day doesn't equal an overall hit. He'll have some amazing chart debuts, especially in the US, where he has a radio deal so that his song gets played every hour on the hour on the biggest radio stations, but the song's quality will determine the rest of the chart run, which is more important than just the first 7 days.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does sound like a Robin Thicke song so I wouldn't say it is that original.