Options

RTD says bring back River

Comments

• Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides, 'spouting funny one-liners' is not a requisite for a leadership of an organisation, especially a military one.
    But let's play devil's advocate, what would your quota be within 45 minutes on 'funny one-liners' for you to merit that Kate is the right person for the job?
    Should she be glib with everything the Doctor or a menacing green alien blob invasion says when they're explaining what is going on or in the face of death or should she stick to the level she already does with her occasional tongue-in-cheek remarks?
    At what level of 'funny' are we talking for this high ranking personnel anyway?
    How serious should we take her, investing our trust in her professionalism, everything, some or not at all?

Well, Agent Coulson says between one to three or four on Agents Of SHIELD and it is usually during the action scenes or briefing. He can still be taken seriously too.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Agent Coulson says between one to three or four on Agents Of SHIELD and it is usually during the action scenes or briefing. He can still be taken seriously too.

That many, eh? And there was me thinking he was bland and personality-less.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    A sort of hybrid of the Brigadier and Agent Coulson.

Someone with the Brigadier's authorative no-nonsense attitude who can exchange banter with the Doctor and Agent Coulson's tendency to spout funny one liners when in a awkward partnership.
    This is supposedly one of the things you say you hate about River, who dosen't even do it all the time, yet when talking about another potential character you're saying you'd rather have a character who is almost constantly making wise cracks than a character like Kate Stewart who seems more like a real person.

The more you post, the more your logic seems to contradict itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is supposedly one of the things you say you hate about River, who dosen't even do it all the time, yet when talking about another potential character you're saying you'd rather have a character who is almost constantly making wise cracks than a character like Kate Stewart who seems more like a real person.

The more you post, the more your logic seems to contradict itself.

I like the way it's done with Agent Coulson where it's more subtle but not the way Moffat writes it with River.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like the way it's done with Agent Coulson where it's more subtle but not the way Moffat writes it with River.
    I've seen both but think River has more personality, more passion for what she cares about and and all round more interesting life story.

Coulson works in his own show but a character like him would be far too dry and dull seeming for a show like doctor who with so many big personalities.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've noticed Agent Coulson's character can be so serious, even the funny lines are said so seriously. Would be good to see Agent Coulson do something out of the ordinary like robotic dancing to distract the baddies.:D

River has always been a mysterious character, her role to The Doctor is dealing with the unexpected.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Anyone could write a character and make him/her the head of UNIT. Doesn't mean it's a strong enough character for future showrunners to decide to bring him/her back later down the line.

Equally, anyone could write a male character that flirts with everything and is immortal. Doesn't mean it's a strong enough character to bring back.

See, reductivism works for lots of examples! Doesn't make it a valid argument, though. Especially as Kate is more than that. An eminently capable woman leading a military group. But not just leading it in that sense, but leading it away from the violent means it was built upon, and working closely within the Doctor's ethics and ethos to bring about an effective team to help withstand alien insurgencies the Doctor might not be around to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kate Stewart is rubbish and not a strong enough character to be the new Brigadier. Kate Stewart is not going to be used by any showrunners after Moffat, whereas Captain Jack could easily fit into any era just like the Brigadier.
    Well, I don't see what her USP is for future showrunners other than 'She's the Brigadier's daughter'.
    But what is there that makes her stand out? What's her personality supposed to be (I don't see any)? What exactly is there that would make a showrunner think 'She's a fun character. I'll bring her back when I take over'?

Well, after all your insistence that no one other than Moffat would use Kate Stewart and, that she is apparently bland/has no appeal according to you, we now find out that big finish have decided to use her as the main character (with Osgood) for a series of audio's. Obviously it is seen, as most others on this thread other than you have commented, that she does have appeal and people other than Moffat think so, and it is perceived that the audience want more of her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, after all your insistence that no one other than Moffat would use Kate Stewart and, that she is apparently bland/has no appeal according to you, we now find out that big finish have decided to use her as the main character (with Osgood) for a series of audio's. Obviously it is seen, as most others on this thread other than you have commented, that she does have appeal and people other than Moffat think so, and it is perceived that the audience want more of her.

That was announced before my argument and besides, they have no choice but to use Kate because otherwise it wouldn't fit into UNIT continuity. I still stand by my original argument that no showrunner after Moffat will use Kate.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Groan*

We don't need more River.
    We don't need to see their final meeting at the Singing Towers.
    We don't ever need to see River again.

Who's 'We' and why do you think you speak for them?
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly will always be characters people like and others they don't like.
    Personally I would like to see a story with 12 and River.

Imagine Missys reaction if she met River and worked out her "friend" had married a part time lord !.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Imagine Missys reaction if she met River and worked out her "friend" had married a part time lord !.

Hopefully, Missy would just kill her.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten how to do it, so I went to the FAQ and found this page on how to ignore posters.
    Others may find this useful in respect of certain posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten how to do it, so I went to the FAQ and found this page on how to ignore posters.
    Others may find this useful in respect of certain posters.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/2b0db262b4527b6a7a121a21327a822b/tumblr_mk6g6e4VON1rt1sb2o1_400.gif
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Maybe if you didn't derail threads and try to pass off certain opinions you have as facts, people might not want to use that button. Just a thought.

As for River, we get it, you don't like the character, that's fair enough but if Moffat wants to bring her back, he will do. Right now though, it's not looking likely we'll see River in Capaldi's era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was announced before my argument and besides, they have no choice but to use Kate because otherwise it wouldn't fit into UNIT continuity. I still stand by my original argument that no showrunner after Moffat will use Kate.

If they were just 'forced' to use her they wouldn't have her on the cover big and bold as the main character, yet they do, because she and Osgood are the appeal. That's like saying Moffat is just forced to use the doctor. It's just plain silly.

Also, is someone other than Moffat already choosing to use her, so although it may not a new showrunner of the actual tv show, it's still a boss of some form of doctor who that isn't Moffat actively choosing to use her, so realistically you've already been proven wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Missy and River would be the ultimate meeting of the two most dominant women in the doctor life. The fireworks would be amazing.

I could imagine those two in the same scene would see the doctor wanting to run and hide somewhere until it's all over :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were just 'forced' to use her they wouldn't have her on the cover big and bold as the main character, yet they do, because she and Osgood are the appeal. That's like saying Moffat is just forced to use the doctor. It's just plain silly.

Also, is someone other than Moffat already choosing to use her, so although it may not a new showrunner of the actual tv show, it's still a boss of some form of doctor who that isn't Moffat actively choosing to use her, so realistically you've already been proven wrong.

They had no choice because of how Moffat has made her head of UNIT, though. Seeing as Kate is head of UNIT despite being bland, they need her face on the cover otherwise it won't look like UNIT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They had no choice because of how Moffat has made her head of UNIT, though. Seeing as Kate is head of UNIT despite being bland, they need her face on the cover otherwise it won't look like UNIT.
    You don't seem to realise, for anyone who only watches new who, or anyone who just hasn't seen any UNIT based classic who episodes, they have no connection to UNIT other than the fact of Kate and Osgood. Yes, they've been in it in passing but there hasn't been a central recognizable face of UNIT until kate came along.

What I'm saying is that for some people Kate and Osgood will be more of a draw as characters than the fact that it is UNIT, rather than the other way around. I know I personally don't really find anything interesting in UNIT as an organization, but I enjoy seeing Kate and Osgood on screen.

I wouldn't be surprised if the audio's were only commissioned because of Kate and Osgood giving UNIT interesting central current characters to explore.
  • Options
    Forum Member

There is absolutely no 'have to' when it comes to UNIT. They have already done numerous stories with UNIT whilst not using the main leaders of the organisation. Your pointless assertions are, frankly, pathetic. It's getting really really tiresome.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no 'have to' when it comes to UNIT. They have already done numerous stories with UNIT whilst not using the main leaders of the organisation. Your pointless assertions are, frankly, pathetic. It's getting really really tiresome.

I refer my honorable friend to the link I posted earlier. There is no obligation to see, let alone respond to, postings from forum members you find tiresome - the tradition of the killfile lives on in "ignore lists".

I'm fairly selective about who goes onto my ignore list (I think it is currently only 4 entries), but when someone mistakes constant assertion of their opinion for debate, there's little point in attempting further dialogue...
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to respond to posts if they irritate you. I like Dalekbuster, personally.

I have put people on ignore in the past. But then I'm consumed with curiosity to see what they've posted, and have to un-ignore them. :D
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't we be discussing River in this thread rather than Kate/UNIT?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I refer my honorable friend to the link I posted earlier. There is no obligation to see, let alone respond to, postings from forum members you find tiresome - the tradition of the killfile lives on in "ignore lists".

I'm fairly selective about who goes onto my ignore list (I think it is currently only 4 entries), but when someone mistakes constant assertion of their opinion for debate, there's little point in attempting further dialogue...

Like Granny above me, I've ignored in the past, then unignored due to a later debate...

I live in a state of naiive hope... :blush:
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy and River would be the ultimate meeting of the two most dominant women in the doctor life.

They would probably have loads to talk about.:D