Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I liked Holby Blue well enough - it was certainly head and shoulders above Casualty at that time. It wasn't as good as HC Imo but HC was going through an especially strong period with seasons 9 and 10. I wasn't keen on so many of the cast coming from other Soaps but that was just as true of HC at its inception but they all put in credible performances.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I liked Holby Blue well enough - it was certainly head and shoulders above Casualty at that time. It wasn't as good as HC Imo but HC was going through an especially strong period with seasons 9 and 10. I wasn't keen on so many of the cast coming from other Soaps but that was just as true of HC at its inception but they all put in credible performances.

On the contrary, I thought that Casualty was going through a rather good phase at that time. Series 22 (2007/2008) is generally regarded as one of the better series of recent years. It was the next three that really started to go downhill, though Series 26 perked up a bit. All just personal opinion of course, but from the Casualty thread it seems like a lot of people agree with me.

I wish they'd release Series 2 on DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well those series of Casualty may well have been better than the ones surrounding them but I still remember finding them dire, especially comared to Holby City which was absolutely fantastic for seasons8 and 9 (Oct 05-Sept07) and pretty good for season 10 and early 11 (Oct07-Aoril09). It then went through a distinctly ropsy patch mid season 11-mid 12 (indeed I'd say kidneygate in April10 was the start of it getting good again) to be brilliant come season 13. But again just personal opinion.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I like Holby, and I think the acting is usually very good. Head of nursing Collete stands out like a sore thumb, played by possibly the worst actor to grace the show.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I like Holby, and I think the acting is usually very good. Head of nursing Collete stands out like a sore thumb, played by possibly the worst actor to grace the show.

I really liked the actress in No Angels. I think she just needs some decent scenes. She's been in the show for 5 months and I think I remember her.....oh nope, I don't remember her actually doing anything!! Actually, I think she looked for mice once!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's interesting. I've always thought that Louise Delamere is a great actress, so it's really curious how weak she is in this. As I've appreciated her so much in the past, I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, and suggest that it's more to do with weaknesses in characterisation on behalf of the producers.
  • Options
    BigearsBigears Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the big problems Holby has at the moment is the introduction of a lot of new characters and trying to bring their stories in. Colette at the mo is a filler used to highlight other stories.
    I do want to know more about her as she seems to less of the look at me I'm a helpless pull a dr Faye/ Chrissie characters.
    The main themes at the moment are Phsych Dom, mixed up Saucer, Tug of love Jemy, and desperate to conceive Amy. They do probably need to give some of these a rest for a week or two.

I guess Marie Claire is off to film the Fall at the moment as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bigears wrote: »
    One of the big problems Holby has at the moment is the introduction of a lot of new characters and trying to bring their stories in. Colette at the mo is a filler used to highlight other stories.
    I do want to know more about her as she seems to less of the look at me I'm a helpless pull a dr Faye/ Chrissie characters.
    The main themes at the moment are Phsych Dom, mixed up Saucer, Tug of love Jemy, and desperate to conceive Amy. They do probably need to give some of these a rest for a week or two.

I guess Marie Claire is off to film the Fall at the moment as well?

I suppose that a lot of that isn't their fault, as if a lot of actors decide to leave within a short space of time there isn't really much they can do about that, and they need to be replaced with someone. However, if I was in charge and in that situation, I would avoid any long-running storylines concerning the main characters for a while and focus predominantly on the patients for a bit. That is where the new people will find their feet, and then storylines that fit the characters established for them can be assessed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i dont feel johnny is being gleefully malicious but simply emotionally lashing out because he is devastated over bonnie.

i too hated jac in the beginning and especially when it became clear she was cheating on joeseph with his father in order to get a promotion but over the years i have softened towards her and now really like her as i too can understand why she is the way she is and this allows me to empathise with her.

I agree that Jonny is currently lashing out over Bonnie which I can understand, sympathize with and forgive but how do you explain his at tomes very nasty behaviour towards Jac before Bonnie died? He turned on her, in an enormous way, last October for no discernable reason after months of them getting on well as prospective parents and colleagues if not romantic partners but as it co-incided with Bonnie arriving who immediately took a dislike to Jac and started slagging her off, one tends to think it was down to his involvement with her.

I do think that Jonny is acting maliciously. It is as much about hurting and punishing Jac as believing it is for the best for Emma. I understand why he feels this way in his grief but it doesn't take away the malice in it. Reason and understanding for his (Imo nasty actions) rather than excusing or condoning - which is always my stance with Jac.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont feel johnny is being gleefully malicious but simply emotionally lashing out because he is devastated over bonnie.

i too hated jac in the beginning and especially when it became clear she was cheating on joeseph with his father in order to get a promotion but over the years i have softened towards her and now really like her as i too can understand why she is the way she is and this allows me to empathise with her.

I do understand that he is grieving for Bonnie, but as kitkat pointed out, his bad treatment of Jac started way before she died and thereafter became something of a vendetta imo.

Did you not think there was a vindictive edge to the way he thanked Jac at the end of the episode for inadvertently giving him the money that he will use against her in Court to get Emma? He seemed to be taking great delight in rubbing it in to her - at least that was my interpretation of it. Different people see different things, I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I see that Helen Flanagan is doing a guest spot in July. Kent is very excited about it and has described her as a "Superstar Soap Actress". God help us all.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    So I see that Helen Flanagan is doing a guest spot in July. Kent is very excited about it and has described her as a "Superstar Soap Actress". God help us all.

Yes, have to say I did wonder at that myself

Not that I have anything against Helen per se, I seem to remember her as being perfectly competent in the episodes/bits of Corrie I saw (admittedly not many) when she was in it. And I suppose it is (as we always say on here) a matter of opinion and OK is entitled to his.

Also, have checked the cast listings for the next 2 weeks and
    there is no mention of Jasmine in either of them (so, going on what OK tweeted she'll be mentioned but not shown) and Paula also isn't listed in the episode on the 13/5 so looks like she won't be around for all that long (although suppose she could always turn up again = 'just when you thought it was safe to go in the water'-esque)
  • Options
    NickJordanNickJordan Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't seem to like questions that put him on the spot either. I tweeted him to ask if there are still plans for Michael to return, and no reply. Not even a 'we don't know yet'.

Although, looking at his Twitter account, someone asked if they've forgotten about Jasmine, and he responded, 'No we haven't'. So maybe there will be some kind of mention or appearance of her in a few weeks' time.

Yeah that was me aha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i was replying to the poster who thought that he was acting gleefully malicious in taking away emma from jac, rather than his actions before bonnie died.

but in response to your question of what i thought of his behaviour towards jac before bonnie died, he was a bit of an insensitive jerk :cool:

Fair enough. Sorry I didn't mean to seem like I was cross examining you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helen Flanagan - outstanding actress. Hmmm. I actually quite like Flanagan (judging from interviews and I'm a Celeb) and thought she was fine in Corrie but she grew up on the show, was never given anything that taxing to do and seemed to be pretty much playing herself (if a slightly more scheming version) so I'm far from convinced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Helen Flanagan - outstanding actress. Hmmm. I actually quite like Flanagan (judging from interviews and I'm a Celeb) and thought she was fine in Corrie but she grew up on the show, was never given anything that taxing to do and seemed to be pretty much playing herself (if a slightly more scheming version) so I'm far from convinced.

I've only seen a bit of her on Corrie and I thought she was utterly woeful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read in a TV mag that Kaye Wragg may be joining full time. No Angels fans will love this - Kate and Lia working in a hospital again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NickJordan wrote: »
    I've only seen a bit of her on Corrie and I thought she was utterly woeful.

Well it's a bit hard to tell as Rosie was meant to be a somewhat shallow, stupid drama queen. But given that Helen played her from age 9 (I think) it is hard to tell whether they began writing her like that to play to Helen's limited talents. She's certainly nowhere near as good as Jack P Shepherd who joined at much the same time (and age) as her and has created a wonderful character in David Platt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant no disrespect to Helen as a person, but from what I have seen of her as an actress I would say she is average, at best. What worries me is the level of OK's delight about it - if this is what he wants from Holby then it does not bode well for the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant no disrespect to Helen as a person, but from what I have seen of her as an actress I would say she is average, at best. What worries me is the level of OK's delight about it - if this is what he wants from Holby then it does not bode well for the future.

Exactly. His level of delight is very worrying!
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't exactly full of acting talent anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It isn't exactly full of acting talent anyway

I think that's a tad unfair. There are a few ropey performers but the general quality of acting talent amongst the regular cast at least is very high Imo. I really don't think you can fault Catherine Russell, Hugh Quarshie, Paul Bradley, Rosie Marcel, Bob Barratt and personally I rate Michael Thomson very highly as well. I might not like what Jonny is doing but can't fault the acting of it.
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I read in a TV mag that Kaye Wragg may be joining full time. No Angels fans will love this - Kate and Lia working in a hospital again :D

From her twitter she says
    she is there for six months... And last month, filmed the location episode with Bob Barrett..
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now if they could move Zoe from Casualty and bring in Jo Joyner we could have a reunion of the No Angels cast. I actually loved that show, Sunetra Sarker was my favourite with Louise Delamere my second favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Louise-ann wrote: »
    From her twitter she says
    she is there for six months... And last month, filmed the location episode with Bob Barrett..

Oh brilliant :) I wonder if she could stay longer if she's popular?
    Ocado wrote: »
    Now if they could move Zoe from Casualty and bring in Jo Joyner we could have a reunion of the No Angels cast. I actually loved that show, Sunetra Sarker was my favourite with Louise Delamere my second favourite.

I agree. I'm re-watching series 3 at the moment and I forgot how good it was! Anji is a million miles away from Zoe! HCA to Clinical Lead is a big jump! I would love for Zoe to go up to the wards and there to just be a small scene with 3 of them! Maybe she could go and see how Fletch is getting on :D

I doubt Jo would do a guest stint but you never know!!
This discussion has been closed.