Do you take Abba's music seriously?

124»

Comments

• Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    As is ABBA and to new generations thanks to Muriel's Wedding and Mamma Mia. Don't talk about pop culture if you don't know what it means.

In my opinion, the Bond films are good but Mamma Mia is awful
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's of the highest quality, so yes
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Any Nirvana fan worth their salt knows Kurt liked ABBA.

Well, I wasn't aware of it, and I certainly can't hear the influence in anything I've heard from Nirvana. Care to name any Nirvana tracks where this infleunce is apparant?
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just google each band along with 'abba' and you'll find the links. I'll start you off with the Ramones; "Joey was very influenced by the Beach Boys and ABBA." (Seymour Stein, who signed the Ramones)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oxMEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=ramones+influenced+by+abba&source=bl&ots=OBi8SiL75i&sig=Znt-5OGZ2kD-gK6EKlz3x98EQdg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RGHVVKmrN-ap7AasqoG4Aw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=ramones%20influenced%20by%20abba&f=false

Thanks, but again, I just can't hear it.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    In my opinion, the Bond films are good but Mamma Mia is awful

Mamma Mia IS awful. Agree there completely. But pop culture is not about what we like. It's about what's well, popular. Hence crap like Twilight & 50 Shades Of Grey for example.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »

you can't hear how the music of the Ramones was influenced by short, snappy, catchy pop music? From their wikipedia page:

"With just four chords and one manic tempo, New York's Ramones blasted open the clogged arteries of mid-'70s rock, reanimating the music. Their genius was to recapture the short/simple aesthetic from which pop had strayed,"
    and
    "The Ramones' loud, fast, straightforward musical style was influenced by pop music that the band members grew up listening to"

That the Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys, Shangri Las, ABBA etc doesn't mean they sounded like these acts. Ditto with Nirvana.. Cobain's song writing placed great emphasis on melodies and song structure which is where an ABBA influence is heard. Of course Nirvana didn't "sound like ABBA" any more than the Ramones did (or Foo Fighters) but that's not what 'musical influence' means. Anderson and Ulvaeus themselves cite the Beach Boys as an influence but you wouldn't say ABBA sound like the Beach Boys.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's serious music, so I treat it seriously
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say what a powerful ballad Winner takes it all is. In terms of its context it is a similar song to Fleetwood Mac Go your own way
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    "Slipping through my fingers".

Theres a great ABBA song.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you'll need better bait than that.

Nice one ;-)
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do take them seriously. I think abba are one of the greatest bands of all time and their music is wonderful in particular hasta mañana, the winner takes it all and Fernando
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I wasn't aware of it, and I certainly can't hear the influence in anything I've heard from Nirvana. Care to name any Nirvana tracks where this infleunce is apparant?
    From an interview

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/index.php?section=info/articles&file=11.00.89.html
    Krist: We're a band before we are a record label, so… You know. I'm not really concerned with them, the record label, as much as I am with our, our own music, and uh, so… Sub Pop, it's a lot of hype, and stuff, but there's good bands there too. It's not just all hype.
    Interviewer: What do you mean with "hype"? Why?

Kurt: Promotion. Over-promotion. It's just, it's kind of amazing how it has become such a popular label within the year and a half it's been together. And a lot of people are claiming that it's so much hype that they don't have any substantial bands to back it up.

Krist: Some people will walk into a record store and ask, 'Do you have anything by Sub Pop?' and just buy it. You know? Why not just walk in and go, 'Do you have anything by Warner Brothers?' 'Yeah, here's this new Abba record.' 'Wow! Thanks a lot. That's great' You know.

Kurt: Aren't Abba from Sweden?

Interviewer: Yes, they are.

Krist: I like them.

Kurt: They're fantastic. I like them too.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The poster didn't say their music was hearable in the bands quoted. He was rightly saying that in the last 30 years, many punk/new wave artists have admitted that they actually liked ABBA whilst publicly slagging them (they have said the same about the 'dinosaur' rock bands they slated). The most famous example was Sid Vicious, who was ABBA daft, and joyfully bounded up to them like Tigger at an airport.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrilla:

I am a fan of Miles Davis, a huge jazz fan, an opera buff and a classical music fan, but I also love ABBA, as I love good music. And I WANT to have a love of wide ranges of music from immense classical pieces to 3 min great pop. I love Holst's Planet Suite, but I also think Baby Hit Me One More Time is a great pop song.

Music should something to love and uplift, not to gather brownie points about how clever your music collection is. I have Miles Davis and modern jazz in my collection, but I also love George Formby.

And frankly I cannot believe you referred to the great Freddie Mercury as a cheese monger. I saw the man live in 1981 with Queen, and to this day I never seen a greater pop/rock live performer, and I have seen many greats in those 34 yrs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I love ABBAs music and loved Mamma Mia too...but then I like musicals, Meryl Streep and ABBA so it's kind of a winner for me.

I agree though that a lot of people don't/can't take their music seriously but for me they're just very well written pop songs performed by 4 talented Swedes.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *3 talented Swedes and 1 talented Norwegian ;)

Yes I take them seriously. They made pop music into an art form.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I've been an ABBA fan since I was about 7 and whilst I was interested in them enough at that age to delve into all their albums, as a kid I'd obviously come back to the upbeat, happy, silly tracks. As a result, along with some of the most bizarre videos they could have possibly come up with, as an adult I find it somewhat impossible to not dismiss them as 'cheesy' and it can be hard to take some of the stuff seriously ('I Do, I Do...' and 'Ring Ring' and tracks from those first three albums springing to mind). As they made their way through albums though, they did seem to mature somewhat and tracks like 'Eagle' or 'Money, Money, Money' or 'Take A Chance On Me', while could be dismissed as disposable, they do have a more serious feel to them.

I still find it funny though that when I was a kid my least favourite song was 'The Day Before You Came' and least favourite album was 'The Visitors', because now as an adult, the tracks surrounding that era are the ones that I keep coming back to. I used to dismiss the lyrics to The Day Before You Came as silly for being so boring, like they were just writing the first things that sprung to mind. While now, fully understanding the context of the song, I consider it possibly the best lyric and one of the best vocals of their entire career and it's now the lyrics of tracks I used to love as a child that I dismiss as silly. For that reason and for that last album, it's equally hard to not take them seriously. It would have been fascinating to hear one more album with the direction they were heading in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spthoons wrote: »
    I've been an ABBA fan since I was about 7 and whilst I was interested in them enough at that age to delve into all their albums, as a kid I'd obviously come back to the upbeat, happy, silly tracks. As a result, along with some of the most bizarre videos they could have possibly come up with, as an adult I find it somewhat impossible to not dismiss them as 'cheesy' and it can be hard to take some of the stuff seriously ('I Do, I Do...' and 'Ring Ring' and tracks from those first three albums springing to mind). As they made their way through albums though, they did seem to mature somewhat and tracks like 'Eagle' or 'Money, Money, Money' or 'Take A Chance On Me', while could be dismissed as disposable, they do have a more serious feel to them.

I still find it funny though that when I was a kid my least favourite song was 'The Day Before You Came' and least favourite album was 'The Visitors', because now as an adult, the tracks surrounding that era are the ones that I keep coming back to. I used to dismiss the lyrics to The Day Before You Came as silly for being so boring, like they were just writing the first things that sprung to mind. While now, fully understanding the context of the song, I consider it possibly the best lyric and one of the best vocals of their entire career and it's now the lyrics of tracks I used to love as a child that I dismiss as silly. For that reason and for that last album, it's equally hard to not take them seriously. It would have been fascinating to hear one more album with the direction they were heading in.

For me TDBYC is the song I always come back to, over and over it captures everything that was magical about Abba. But i recall at the time I had to get my uncle to explain it to me as it wasn't immediately clear (dumb I know). But since then it has become my most played Abba song, along with The Visitors.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good pop music is better than poor rock music.
    Best comment of the thread.
    I get sick to death of these people who seem to have this attitude that if it isn't rock then it aint worth shit.

Abba made some of the best songs you'll ever here. They were catchy and easy on the ear which is why they are so popular nearly 35 years after they broke up. Their music was quite diverse as well. They could do upbeat like Summer night city or Take a chance on me, they did ballads like Fernando or I have a dream. 'Move on' from Abba The Album was another great track. 'I'm A Marionette' also from Abba The Album was another great track which I think was for a mini musical called The girl with the golden hair.

The answer to the original question is yes, most people do take their music seriously. Obviously some people don't simply because their music is pop and not hard rock. If you don't want to take their music seriously then don't as long as you remember you're in the minority whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindless, cheesy shite, but well crafted, mindless, cheesy shite nevertheless.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know about Abba is the track Dancing Queen, which was used in the absolutely brilliant film of the same name starring Rik Mayall and Helena Bonham-Carter. Their very existence was justified solely on the strength of that film.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still amazed by the strength of their lyrics, especially when English was Bjorn and Benny's second language
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Mindless, cheesy shite, but well crafted, mindless, cheesy shite nevertheless.

Ever thought of being a professional music critic?

Thought not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do take them seriously. I think abba are one of the greatest bands of all time and their music is wonderful

Agreed, sorcha!

My favourite Abba songs are Winner Takes it All, Eagle, and The Day Before You Came.
    There is so much more to them than Waterloo and the really camp stuff like Dancing Queen.