Children's series you never liked even as a child

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I speak as someone who watches children's cartoons as an adult but in coversation with someone today I thought of this were there any children's series that EVEN when you were a child you couldn't ever get into.

MASK
Transformers
Thundercats
He-Man

Found them all boring and would change the channel even as a child, as an adult I've tried to get into Ben 10 and The Last Airbender but can't.

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I speak as someone who watches children's cartoons as an adult but in coversation with someone today I thought of this were there any children's series that EVEN when you were a child you couldn't ever get into.

MASK
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    He-Man

Found them all boring and would change the channel even as a child.

It's not that I didn't like them but the heroes were all so insipid I always ended up cheering for the villains
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be able to watch anything, and I don't think I really disliked any show at all.

I miss those times.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    MASK
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    He-Man

Mask was a bit too manic, little wonder that I can't go for Robin Williams or Jim Carrey in manic mode.
    Transformers cheap cack and looked like it.
    Found all those utterly charmless, if you're going to do the same thing week in week out, you need some charm.
    Struggled through Thundercats and He-man until the clunking moral message at the end, just put the top hat on it's charmless by the numbers shtick.

Animaniacs was on around the same time wasn't it, that was a good giggle.
    Forum Member
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    I used to be able to watch anything, and I don't think I really disliked any show at all.

I miss those times.

4 Channels, get what you're given and like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Peter
    Magpie
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    The Moomins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HR Puffenstuff - made me feel physically sick to watch it. No idea why.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crystal Tips & Alistair
    Rhubarb & Custard

The music for Rhubarb & Custard was as freaky to me as the Dr Who theme for some reason.

Bod and Mr Benn were my absolute favourites though.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated - I mean really really HATED - Animal Magic with awful awful Johnny bloody Morris. I loathed him, he made my skin crawl, especially when he made animals talk. I was very young when I was first aware of this, but even then I would put my fingers in my ears or try to leave the room or cry, and as soon as I was old enough I would have to change channels. Even now the thought it making me feel itchy.
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rupert the bloody bear. My Mum would plonk me down in front of the TV for it most days and I detested it with a passion, still do.

I was also quite terrified of the Indian from 'How' (the original 70's version), so much so my Dad used to put it on to see me run out of the room screaming lol
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Andy Pandy - I though he was a smug brat.

Hate puppets in general.
  • rocky racoonrocky racoon Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I hated John Craven's Newsround with a passion. You knew that kids TV was over once that came on.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    Crystal Tips & Alistair
    Rhubarb & Custard

The music for Rhubarb & Custard was as freaky to me as the Dr Who theme for some reason.

Bod and Mr Benn were my absolute favourites though.

I have only fond memories of this simply because we all called it "Crystal T!ts and Alistair "
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I hated - I mean really really HATED - Animal Magic with awful awful Johnny bloody Morris. I loathed him, he made my skin crawl, especially when he made animals talk. I was very young when I was first aware of this, but even then I would put my fingers in my ears or try to leave the room or cry, and as soon as I was old enough I would have to change channels. Even now the thought it making me feel itchy.

It used to make me feel very irritable and angsty too. Wierd. Didn't like all that animal bothering. And the theme tune was annoying too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Peter - Too goodie-goodie
    Jackanory - Mind-nummingly dull even though I loved books/reading
    The Moomins - It just scared me
    Forum Member
    Ever expanding list of theme tunes whirling around in my head now :)

Bod, top draw vocal work by Derek Griffiths yet again :)

Edit: Animal Magic theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxsaTaVhC4
    Full orchestra and everything, you know you want to :)
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    MASK
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    He-Man

Mask was a bit too manic, little wonder that I can't go for Robin Williams or Jim Carrey in manic mode.
    Transformers cheap cack and looked like it.
    Found all those utterly charmless, if you're going to do the same thing week in week out, you need some charm.
    Struggled through Thundercats and He-man until the clunking moral message at the end, just put the top hat on it's charmless by the numbers shtick.

Animaniacs was on around the same time wasn't it, that was a good giggle.
    Think the original poster meant the 80s cartoon MASK which was nothing to do with Jim Carrey or Cher for that matter
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »

I miss those times.

Same here, there were so few kids programmes that you appreciated what there was [showing our age here!]

I remember there being a lot of adventure series which I used to follow, I preferred Blue Peter to Magpie but I would watch pretty much whatever was on whilst mum was making the tea:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Think the original poster meant the 80s cartoon MASK which was nothing to do with Jim Carrey or Cher for that matter

Yes I meant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.
    NOT!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mask:_The_Animated_Series

The lata I liked and was watching an episode of it on you tube a few weeks ago in fact.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

MASK
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    He-Man

Found them all boring and would change the channel even as a child, as an adult I've tried to get into Ben 10 and The Last Airbender but can't.

I always watched He-Man religiously. I always looked forward to the time when it was on after I'd came in from school.
    Forum Member
    Yes I meant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.

The lata I liked and was watching an episode of it on you tube a few weeks ago in fact.

No wonder, I don't even remember that.
    I probably turned over and gave that one the complete swerve then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Rugrats so much! I don't know why, I even watched that programme so many times but hated it so much and couldn't stand why everyone loved it. But, weirdly loved All Grown Up.

Same with Taz-The tasmanian Devil. I don't understand the point in having a character that eats everything and doesn't speak and basically ruins everyone's life on a daily basis.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Art Attack. Everyone at school loved it but I thought it was mind-numbingly dull and a real pain in the arse because it was always on between two of my favourite shows so I had to sit through it every time.

Couldn't stand Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel either. That one was just horrible.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed, Edd and Eddy, I would have loved to punch all three of them.
  • Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I know this was popular but the one programme I couldn't stand at all was...Grange Hill. You spend six to seven hours at school during the day, get home, relax, turn on the TV and see...more school. No thanks!