Options

Katy Perry slams Beyonce / Christina

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
Forum Member

Comments

• Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I don't see anything wrong with what she's said. I don't think the writer of that 'article' has very good comprehension, as their argument against Katy...
    Lastly, we would like to add if the quote is indeed true, Katy should remember that this industry is very fickle and seasons definitely come and go. Beyonce and Christina have successfully sustained careers that span from the early 90's till the present day, predominantly based on vocal talents - something critics would argue that Katy lacks.

...Is pretty much what her whole point is!!
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it's true, it's not exactly a bad thing what she's said - if you look at Xtina now, she's hardly setting the charts alight at all and Beyoncé's last lot of singles weren't exactly chart toppers either - yet both are two of the biggest stars of the past two decades.

She has a point about writing hits though, although I guess half the time it's either down to 'who/what's cool' or having an amazingly catchy song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with what she's said. I don't think the writer of that 'article' has very good comprehension, as their argument against Katy...

...Is pretty much what her whole point is!!

"To conclude, my overall point is yes Christina and Beyonce may not be heavy features on the charts right now but that is not the grand pinnacle of representation for music success. Furthermore, by using those two as examples only highlights them in a way that deems them as less successful than herself, she could have made her point without having to directly use examples."
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    As someone who was born at the beginning of the 90's, in my eyes Christina and Beyonce were more successful pop stars than Katy Perry.

Katy is more successful NOW, but in 2022 when none of them are successful anymore, I'll look back and see Christina and Beyonce had the bigger hits and were popular for longer (most likely).

Beyonce doesn't get played on the radio because she doesn't do dance music, it's nothing more than that. And if Katy Perry didn't do dance music she wouldn't be on the radio either.

All that said, E.T. was one of the best songs of 2010/2011.

Also, this isn't a big deal. What Katy said isn't anything to get worked up about. Some of the things that rock bands say about other rock bands, or what rappers say about other rappers, it baffles me when fans of pop stars get worked up over the SMALLEST vaguely insulting thing.
    "To conclude, my overall point is yes Christina and Beyonce may not be heavy features on the charts right now but that is not the grand pinnacle of representation for music success. Furthermore, by using those two as examples only highlights them in a way that deems them as less successful than herself, she could have made her point without having to directly use examples."

All Katy was saying is that they're less successful at the moment. Not that they were less successful period. Beyonce and Christina have had careers that newcomers like Katy and Gaga could only dream of. Katy is just saying to be successful in 2012 you need more than just a "good voice", and she's right, unfortunately. It's not something to read into imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Still, that's exactly what Katy's point seems to be. Two massive superstars with great voices haven't done too well in the charts because they haven't gone out of their way to play the marketplace. Whereas Katy pretty much admits that she has.

It wouldn't have made sense for her to use two less famous comparisons, her whole point would have been lost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    As someone who was born at the beginning of the 90's, in my eyes Christina and Beyonce were more successful pop stars than Katy Perry.

Katy is more successful NOW, but in 2022 when none of them are successful anymore, I'll look back and see Christina and Beyonce had the bigger hits and were popular for longer (most likely).

Beyonce doesn't get played on the radio because she doesn't do dance music, it's nothing more than that. And if Katy Perry didn't do dance music she wouldn't be on the radio either.

All that said, E.T. was one of the best songs of 2010/2011.

Also, this isn't a big deal. What Katy said isn't anything to get worked up about. Some of the things that rock bands say about other rock bands, or what rappers say about other rappers, it baffles me when fans of pop stars get worked up over the SMALLEST vaguely insulting thing.

All Katy was saying is that they're less successful at the moment. Not that they were less successful period. Beyonce and Christina have had careers that newcomers like Katy and Gaga could only dream of. Katy is just saying to be successful in 2012 you need more than just a "good voice", and she's right, unfortunately. It's not something to read into imo.

BIB: exactly. not having music in the charts doesn't make you a failure or not popular. It just means you aren't making the music "hot right now" Rita Ora has 3 uk #1 singles and album under her belt, but her album isn't shifting near the sales that were expected. She hasn't even been certified in any country it has been released in yet. Sure that was just three months ago, but there are debut albums in the last two years that went gold on just pre orders alone.

4 was one of Beyonce's least promoted albums and definitely had the least amount of hit singles, but it still platinum in 4 countries, gold in three, and sold 310k copies stateside in it's first week. Teenage Dream shifted 192k in it's first week and has been promoted constantly for the last two years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, that's exactly what Katy's point seems to be. Two massive superstars with great voices haven't done too well in the charts because they haven't gone out of their way to play the marketplace. Whereas Katy pretty much admits that she has.

It wouldn't have made sense for her to use two less famous comparisons, her whole point would have been lost.

sooooo, what you are trying to say is that she called herself a sellout? good to know. :p

i personally don't believe an artist should compromise what they want in order to just sell more records. people will like your music if they want to and you shouldn't have to pander to everyone just to seem like a success. that is, of course, only if you view music as an art form and not just a job, which Katy seems to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tbh i dont know where all this stuff has come from about Beyonce lagging? shes done pretty well with 4 and had airplay with best i never had, countdown etc
    seems out of nowhere shes consider as unpopular
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh i dont know where all this stuff has come from about Beyonce lagging? shes done pretty well with 4 and had airplay with best i never had, countdown etc

not in america she didn't. since katy is from here, im guessing she is using that perspective. she had 4 singles in america and none of them cracked the top 15. her last single was UK only and that peaked at 39 on the official chart.

no one is saying she is unpopular. just, not hot at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    sooooo, what you are trying to say is that she called herself a sellout? good to know. :p

i personally don't believe an artist should compromise what they want in order to just sell more records. people will like your music if they want to and you shouldn't have to pander to everyone just to seem like a success. that is, of course, only if you view music as an art form and not just a job, which Katy seems to do.

Yep, that seems to be pretty much what she said. And I agree with what you say.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even sure what point it is Katy is making? all her tracks are designed purely for radio. So what is she actually saying?? that she is a puppet?

Perhaps if she was producing music that wasn't as Linda Perry put it best, musical popcorn, then she would be in a better position to comment.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She may be a million leagues above Christina, but Katy is right that during Beyonce's last album she also wasn't anyway near as hot as Katy herself was either. 4 only sold 2m copies ww, had one UK Top 10 hit and failed to get a single US Top 15 hit, which is a far cry from the era the self confessed radio **** Katy had, which is her whole point; although I don't think mass commercial success was Beyonce's aim with 4 anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, that seems to be pretty much what she said. And I agree with what you say.

that was supposed to be should not, btw haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not even sure what point it is Katy is making? all her tracks are designed purely for radio. So what is she actually saying?? perhaps if she was producing music that wasn't as Linda Perry put it best, musical popcorn, then she would be in a better position to comment.

Well yes, that's what she's saying. Pretty much holding her hands up that her music is specifically made for radio, and basically defending herself by saying that she had to in order to gain commercial success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is part of the Billboard Q&A
    http://www.billboard.com/features/katy-perry-q-a-billboard-s-woman-of-the-1008032752.story#/features/katy-perry-q-a-billboard-s-woman-of-the-1008032752.story?page=2
    I've had pretty intense arguments with producers and others about lyrics. Some people don't think that they matter. I'm like, "You've got to be crazy." There is kind of a math and science about a perfect pop song. But I would prefer doing math, science-and heart. Lyrics can end up on T-shirts, on the inside of wedding rings. They're important. Anyone who says beats are more important obviously doesn't have a heart. They are tin men [laughs].

This coming from the girl who wrote 'sun kissed skin, so hot we'll melt your popsicle' and "I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock,cock, your peacock, cock, cock,cock. I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock, cock"
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is part of the Billboard Q&A
    http://www.billboard.com/features/katy-perry-q-a-billboard-s-woman-of-the-1008032752.story#/features/katy-perry-q-a-billboard-s-woman-of-the-1008032752.story?page=2

This coming from the girl who wrote 'sun kissed skin, so hot we'll melt your popsicle' and "I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock,cock, your peacock, cock, cock,cock. I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock, cock, your peacock, cock, cock, cock"

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Maybe not every song, but some of her songs do deal with relationships and deeper issues. They're not all superficial. You're taking a couple of lines out of context, but she has written more emotional songs like Circle the Drain from Teenage Dream.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member

Not forgetting she is the woman who chose to sing the single most stupid lyric of the past decade, if not longer... "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag" ... Errrrrrrrrrm NO :confused:
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was stating a fact she is using everything in her arsenal including her talent to stay relevant in a fickle industry. She is right its all well and good having the talent but it isnt always as easy to sell it or make it a success so you gotta do all you can after all it is a job and a career gotta make that dollar after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Maybe not every song, but some of her songs do deal with relationships and deeper issues. They're not all superficial. You're taking a couple of lines out of context, but she has written more emotional songs like Circle the Drain from Teenage Dream.

Not many. Circle The Drain is alright, though the foreplay line makes me cringe every time. I can't help but feel bad for Travis when I hear it, but I think the intention was to show her emotions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Maybe not every song, but some of her songs do deal with relationships and deeper issues. They're not all superficial.You're taking a couple of lines out of context, but she has written more emotional songs like Circle the Drain from Teenage Dream.

thinking of you,lost, one that got away and wide awake are quite emotional ones too :( she should write more songs like these imho
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not many. Circle The Drain is alright, though the foreplay line makes me cringe every time. I can't help but feel bad for Travis when I hear it, but I think the intention was to show her emotions.

Actually a great many do and especially on her debut she has a way of writing for me at leastg the perfect POP song it can be sweet and sacchrine but have a basis in saying what she feels its accesible and catchy and thats why they're hits . She has never claimed to be Carol King or Joni Mitchell but a popstar making pop music and considering the likes of Rihanna at leasts he writes her own stuff which is basically what she is saying using Bey and Xtina as examples.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Aries_123 wrote: »
    thinking of you,lost, one that got away and wide awake are quite emotional ones too :( she should write more songs like these imho

I quite like One that Got Away :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    She was stating a fact she is using everything in her arsenal including her talent to stay relevant in a fickle industry. She is right its all well and good having the talent but it isnt always as easy to sell it or make it a success so you gotta do all you can after all it is a job and a career gotta make that dollar after all.

But that's just it. The money becomes irrelevant at a certain point. There will always be someone to buy your music if they like it. The star aspect is what she's after.

Lil Kim is in no way a star anymore, but she sold over a million copies of black Friday on PayPal of all things. All that money went straight in her pocket because there was no label involved, no promo, no nothing. Alanis M. is no longer the star she was in the 90s, but she is still selling records without diluting her sound. That is the problem with most of these big name stars like Katy, Xtina, Rihanna etc. They don't have the mindset of even if I'm not a star, I'll make the music I love because I want to. To them, it's I better stay 'relevant' as long as I can because what else is there? Having your name in lights shouldn't be the end all be all IMO. There are old stars who passed their prime so went to writing, producing, whatever just so they can be making music because it's what they love, not because they want everyone to love them for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Actually a great many do and especially on her debut she has a way of writing for me at leastg the perfect POP song it can be sweet and sacchrine but have a basis in saying what she feels its accesible and catchy and thats why they're hits . She has never claimed to be Carol King or Joni Mitchell but a popstar making pop music and considering the likes of Rihanna at leasts he writes her own stuff which is basically what she is saying using Bey and Xtina as examples.

I completely agree that she can write a hell of a pop tune, but I personally can't say that I get a sense of what Katy Perry is all about through her music. There are other pop stars who do that, like Pink. She writes good pop songs and I can tell what she's all about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's just it. The money becomes irrelevant at a certain point. There will always be someone to buy your music if they like it. The star aspect is what she's after.

Lil Kim is in no way a star anymore, but she sold over a million copies of black Friday on PayPal of all things. All that money went straight in her pocket because there was no label involved, no promo, no nothing. Alanis M. is no longer the star she was in the 90s, but she is still selling records without diluting her sound. That is the problem with most of these big name stars like Katy, Xtina, Rihanna etc. They don't have the mindset of even if I'm not a star, I'll make the music I love because I want to. To them, it's I better stay 'relevant' as long as I can because what else is there? Having your name in lights shouldn't be the end all be all IMO. There are old stars who passed their prime so went to writing, producing, whatever just so they can be making music because it's what they love, not because they want everyone to love them for it.

Yeah but Lil Kim was a star and made a solid fanbase for herself. Of Course at some point Katy will become irrelevant but she is building a fanbase and making a dent in the market so that down the line she has the option and availibilty to make the music she wants to and sees fit to do so. But she ahs made a sensible and clacualted move as of now to get as big as possible build as big a fanbase in order to do so which without it she will sell little earn little and thats fine for some peope but if your in a position to make a star of yourself why not. At the end of the day i admire her drive and ambition whether it be monetery gain, star power or anything else she wants to be top of the pile and good on her i say. And if all goes well in the future she could sell a 1m records koney in her pocket just like Lil Kim by doing the graft she needs to now.