Do you shovel snow?

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    What happens if someone is away from home or at work overnight?

You pay a company.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    There are regulations like this in parts of Germany too, which is why you often see German people sweeping/scrubbing the pavement outside their houses.

We used to have unwritten rules like that in our country, but they seem to be on the way out now.
    You even have shops now with weeds growing outside, or even old sick stains.
    One problem is that if you clear the snow you might be held liable if someone slips on the ice. The claimant would probably have to prove malicious intent but still - it's a lot of stress that is probably best avoided by leaving things alone so that the only person who can be blamed is mother nature.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    One problem is that if you clear the snow you might be held liable if someone slips on the ice.

**Everything that's wrong about Britain today.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Most towns and cities in Canada have a by-law which states that you must clear the "sidewalk" in front of one's own property by 9am when there has been an overnight accumulation. If you don't you can get fined.

I'm in Toronto and think it is 24 hours after a storm. Where I live then a lot of people will get fined.:D...I have been close to reporting a couple of houses, especially the ones that ONLY do their driveway and nothing else.

I always say if you have the money for a big house then you can either do it yourself or pay someone. There are a few companies offering a service or get a teenager to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One problem is that if you clear the snow you might be held liable if someone slips on the ice. The claimant would probably have to prove malicious intent but still - it's a lot of stress that is probably best avoided by leaving things alone so that the only person who can be blamed is mother nature.

But if you shovel and put salt down then shouldn't be any ice, or if there is then you can easily avoid it. If you don't shovel and it is cold then it will most certainly be a slippery block of ice.

Went out earlier, the houses that shovelled were fine but a few had iced up a bit that hadn't been done but it wasn't too bad.
    Forum Member
    I'm in Toronto and think it is 24 hours after a storm. Where I live then a lot of people will get fined.:D...I have been close to reporting a couple of houses, especially the ones that ONLY do their driveway and nothing else.

I always say if you have the money for a big house then you can either do it yourself or pay someone. There are a few companies offering a service or get a teenager to do it.

A few years ago, I was visiting friends in Burlington over Christmas. They thought I would "enjoy" the novelty value of clearing the sidewalks of snow in the morning.
    Gits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I was visiting friends in Burlington over Christmas. They thought I would "enjoy" the novelty value of clearing the sidewalks of snow in the morning.
    Gits.

You get more for you money in Burlington...so a lot more driveway/pavement to shovel:D...Like I said the first time I did it, it was a killer, my body was aching all over. Now I am the weirdo that enjoys doing it in the middle of the night:cool:
    Forum Member
    You get more for you money in Burlington...so a lot more driveway/pavement to shovel:D...Like I said the first time I did it, it was a killer, my body was aching all over. Now I am the weirdo that enjoys doing it in the middle of the night:cool:

The same friends now live in Oakville and have a snowblower.
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you shovel snow?

No - I shovel shit and allways have done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same friends now live in Oakville and have a snowblower.

The English enclave;)...it's a lot nicer than Burlington but more expensive.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you shovel it to? A bloke down my street has got a horrible habit of shovelling the snow outside his gate into two massive piles at either side of his front gate that turn into ice mountains so you have to walk on the road. I'd rather he just left it be.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do you shovel it to? A bloke down my street has got a horrible habit of shovelling the snow outside his gate into two massive piles at either side of his front gate that turn into ice mountains so you have to walk on the road. I'd rather he just left it be.

Yeah, sometimes there's so much snowfall that there's nowhere to shovel it all to without inconveniencing a neighbour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you shovel and put salt down then shouldn't be any ice, or if there is then you can easily avoid it. If you don't shovel and it is cold then it will most certainly be a slippery block of ice.
    Yes, but the point is it would be a block of ice that is standing there naturally. As soon as you start clearing snow away some people think that makes you responsible for everything that happens. To an extent they may be right. If snow isn't cleared away properly then it can leave ice and would be more dangerous than just leaving the snow. I hate the idea of someone suing over it but I'm going to be careful when I clear mine because there is potential for me to make it worse.
    Heh. I have a wide drive. I'm going to shovel it away from in front of my garage so that I can get my car out and put it all on the second bit. That has the advantage of temporarily stopping my neighbour using my drive to get their car out. They have a drive of their own but often park their other car across the entrance and take advantage of half of my drive usually being empty.

It's too petty to bother complaining to them about (and they rent so will be gone in a few months anyway) but I'll get a quite satisfaction from annoying them and attempting to train them as to where the property boundary is :D
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I only shovel away a path wide enough to walk on, not the entire driveway. Then I put down some salt. I don't want to risk my elderly father, the postman or a delivery person having an accident.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sometimes there's so much snowfall that there's nowhere to shovel it all to without inconveniencing a neighbour.
    I noted during the last snowfall, a few people shovelled all the snow from their driveway and paths across the whole pavement, thereby forcing pedestrians to have to walk toward the middle of the road.

My neighbour has been out at first light, cleared all the paths, streets, roads, his garden and anything white from around the area. Heathrow should employ him. :D
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . There are a few companies offering a service or get a teenager to do it.
    Why am I having visions of teenager Kevin (Harry Enfield) throwing a tantrum when told to clear the snow ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Yes, I shovel the snow from our front steps; rear steps, and where our dogs run around, out back. I find it's best to throw down rock salt afterwards, as the subsequent ice (usually invisible), can be lethal.

God, it’s hard work:cry:.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a widely held view, and one I've heard for at least 30 years - but I'm not aware of any such case having gone to court.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shovelled all the snow in our communal parking area then used it to build a whacking great 6' snowman. 2 birds with one stone and all that.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never shovelled snow and dont intend to.

I dont own a shovel for one thing :)

It will melt soon enough
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to clear the snow from round about my house. There isn't a lot, so it won't take long. When the job becomes difficult is if the snow has been walked on and compacted, or if it has partly thawed and then frozen.

Advice from Bedford Borough Council:
    Common sense approach to snow and ice

Have you heard the story about the well meaning person who tried to clear snow and ice from the pavement outside their house but was then sued when someone else slipped and fell on it?

The Council’s Winter Maintenance Policy for 2011/2012 now incorporates the latest government advice which dispels this urban myth that you may be liable if someone else slips or falls on an area you have treated. Pedestrians and drivers have a responsibility to be careful themselves and there have been no cases in the UK of people being sued for clearing snow.

Mayor of Bedford Borough, Dave Hodgson, said: “We are committed to doing all we can this winter once again to keep the Borough moving and we have worked hard in the warmer months to ensure we have all the supplies of salt needed. We have also ensured that we have the right equipment, such as our new snow plough quad bike, so that we are fully prepared for the colder months.

“However I also want to encourage a common sense approach to dealing with snow and ice in public places. The new Borough Council winter maintenance policy reassures local residents that they can clear areas such as the pavement outside their properties, without the unfounded fears of being sued by someone.”
    http://www.bedford.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/council_news/archived_news/january_2012/common_sense_approach_to_snow.aspx

Other councils give similar advice. Stories of being sued for clearing snow are, in my view, alarmist nonsense, and I think the only instance where someone might just possibly be successfully sued could be where they have deliberately set out to make the situation more dangerous, say by pouring water onto snow in the hope of turning it into ice. Again, though, I don't know of any such case.

I reckon the urban myth about how one could be sued for clearing snow was initially spread by people who found it convenient to have an apparent justification for their own laziness! :D
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

He ought to shovel it against the wall or hedge and not so as to obstruct a walkway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    It's a widely held view, and one I've heard for at least 30 years - but I'm not aware of any such case having gone to court.
    I don't keep that close an eye on court cases ;)

Anyway 'not going to court' doesn't mean you don't get stressed. Even a letter saying someone was going to sue would cause a lot of stress to most people.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most towns and cities in Canada have a by-law which states that you must clear the "sidewalk" in front of one's own property by 9am when there has been an overnight accumulation. If you don't you can get fined.

I live in Canada in a fairly new sub-division. We have the pavement on our side of the street and used to have to clear it ourselves. The council now send a bloke round with a mini plough or snowblower to do it, so we just have to do the drive.
    In our town it's illegal to park on the street from December 1st to March 31st ($90 fine last I heard) so the ploughs can get round, so if you have a car you have to clear your drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever used a shovel let alone owned one

Then you are a lazy sod