Kimberley Walsh's bad singing performance on NTA last night

Comments

• tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was so bad that it was funny. It was like a teenager singing at a school concert. You just had to listen until the end even though you were cringing for her The funny thing is that this girl actually thinks that she is a good singer.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    It was so bad that it was funny. It was like a teenager singing at a school concert. You just had to listen until the end even though you were cringing for her The funny thing is that this girl actually thinks that she is a good singer.

Where she went wrong was attempting to launch her solo career in a huge arena on live TV and with a difficult song.

On the basis of what we saw, she is a limited vocalist with not much hope of a successful solo career.
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bandita wrote: »
    She was awful I had to switch over too.:o

Ella blew her off the stage with her singing
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley is rather limited as a singer but there are others with the same limitations who have made successful careeers. The trick is to stick within your range. Cheryl has managed to do this, her vocals are not fantastic but she has managed to put together some adequate pop with a few dance routines.

Kimberley is simply not good enough for show tunes and singing live. I'm surprised no one has told her that she is out of her depth with this music.
  • rubyred25rubyred25 Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched kimberley perform in Shrek a few times. She can sing live! This performance on the NTA was more nerves. I will admit when watched again, I had to fast forward her performance. It wasn't good. She can sing, and anyone who has watched her in Shrek the musical will agree. Unfortunately for Kimberley! Ella is an amazing singer, who has an unique voice. Ella was better.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rubyred25 wrote: »
    I have watched kimberley perform in Shrek a few times. She can sing live! This performance on the NTA was more nerves. I will admit when watched again, I had to fast forward her performance. It wasn't good. She can sing, and anyone who has watched her in Shrek the musical will agree. Unfortunately for Kimberley! Ella is an amazing singer, who has an unique voice. Ella was better.

I think nerves probably did play a big part, especially if it's been proven that she can sing, as in the musical she performed in.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Omg she was dreadfull. I had to turn over I was cringing. Made worse of course by Ella Henderson coming on after her and showing the audience how its really done.

Yes, I thought that too. I am sure it must be dreadful for Kimberley to read the headlines about her singing!! She looked great but really, she was off key and it was cringemaking. I was surprised the audience clapped! I remember when Britney Spears appeared on X Factor, gave a awful performance (mimed) danced around with the mike and looked ridiculous and the judges gave her a standing ovation when in actually fact, she would not have made it through an X Factor audition!! Just makes them look like a load of hypocrites or perhaps they were blind and deaf!!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt a bit sorry for her, she couldn't handle the song, many of the celeb seats were empty as they were using it as a loo / drink / **** break and not that much appplause, then came Ella Henderson, captive audience , performed fantastically and rapturous applause.
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    She deserves credit for singing it completely live but I'm not sure what went wrong : whether she had an attack of nerves or that she is nowhere near experienced enough as a solo singer.

Yes but you should only sing live when you know you can actually sing the song! I dislike this trend in miming, what is the point of going to a LIVE show, paying vast amounts of money for the joy of seeing a LIVE act, only to see the star mime to her records?? Why do people go to Girls Aloud Tour concerts when we all know the group cannot SING. We all saw them sing live on X Factor and it was dreadful. Cheryl can dance, she is beautiful but a singer, sorry, she isn't!!!! Kimberley was good on Strictly, worked hard but why are these celebs so deluded to think they can do EVERYTHING!!!

I remember years ago going to see Diana Ross at a concert in Munich and she was absolutely fabulous. She even came back on stage in T shirt and Jeans to sing with her backing group and it was a sensational night. If you cannot sing without a lot of technology behind you, don't go on TOUR!!!!
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Yes but you should only sing live when you know you can actually sing the song! I dislike this trend in miming, what is the point of going to a LIVE show, paying vast amounts of money for the joy of seeing a LIVE act, only to see the star mime to her records?? Why do people go to Girls Aloud Tour concerts when we all know the group cannot SING. We all saw them sing live on X Factor and it was dreadful. Cheryl can dance, she is beautiful but a singer, sorry, she isn't!!!! Kimberley was good on Strictly, worked hard but why are these celebs so deluded to think they can do EVERYTHING!!!

I remember years ago going to see Diana Ross at a concert in Munich and she was absolutely fabulous. She even came back on stage in T shirt and Jeans to sing with her backing group and it was a sensational night. If you cannot sing without a lot of technology behind you, don't go on TOUR!!!!

Better yet, don't become a singer if you can't sing! It's obvious that most of GA were chosen to be in the band because of the way they look.
  • rubyred25rubyred25 Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nerves probably did play a big part, especially if it's been proven that she can sing, as in the musical she performed in.
    Kimberley had fantastic reviews for Shrek! Its not easy to sing 6/7 days a week in the theatre. If you can't sing the critics will slaughter you. I just hope she can overcome the nerves. I also don't think the song suited her either. NTA was maybe not the best place to sing her single live. Its a shame because she was one member of Girls Aloud who had proved she can sing live. Now people are being very cruel online, tabloids, with twitter being the worse. One less than perfect performance has undone all her good work. :(
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not the best singer, but Shrek proves she can do it. I think the song didnt suit her. She needs to pick songs that make the most of her voice and that wasnt one.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone asked why people mime well there are talented singers out there who mime because they need to save their voice for live shows or important tv apperances.
    celine dion mimes on tv yet sings live in concert and usually sounds great if you were to sing day after day for months on end you'd end up with serious throat/voice problems.
    look what happened with connie from sound of music.
    and julie andrews I think she did 70 shows back to back.
    and ending up needing throat surgery anyway back to kimberly the girl should not have gone solo.
    she is not a live singer nadine had the best voice in ga.
    but even her voice is pretty poor these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Better yet, don't become a singer if you can't sing! It's obvious that most of GA were chosen to be in the band because of the way they look.

The standards were a lot lower when they auditioned to be fair.

Nadine stood out a mile as the best singer, then Javine and Nicola were okay, the others were just about bearable.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Just heard it.
    When people perform like that on X Factor the judges say "you made that song your own".

It wasn't good but what do people expect?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time ive seen/heard it. Its not as bad as what id been hearing about. She gave it a go, learned her lesson. Good on her for having the balls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on guys....it isn't half as bad as everyone is making out.

I agree, people are greatly over-exaggerating about how bad it was. It was clear she was suffering from nerves. I saw her in Shrek and she can sing and carry the musical theatre songs without problem. Nerves got the better of her and the performance suffered due to that. All these arm chair vocalists would never suffer from something as trivial as that however would they? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was awful. She's a bit deluded if she thinks she has the ability to get into musical theatre. She always had he worst voice in the band, going back to the Popstars: The Rivals days.

As she was the female lead in musical theatre for eight months, she isn't that deluded :rolleyes:
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous song to attempt unless you have a fantastic voice, which she doesn't. I never understand why limited singers cover songs by artists they haven't a hope in hell of matching vocally. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are people surprised? people who achieve success in the record industry these days don't do so because of talent, it's purely about image.

Its pretty obvious isnt it. People act like its a new thing
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not THAT bad,. It doesn't help that you can't hear hardly any music... it was almost acapella in places the way it was mixed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently people are shocked at last night's performance from Kimberley Walsh that she can't sing.
    I can remember so I am not surprised when I heard her for the first time singing with Jamie Callum about a year or so ago and was shocked at how bad a singing voice she had. She couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow so I am not surprised at her performance last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2267317/Kimberley-Walsh-slated-murdering-Randy-Crawford-classic-National-Television-Awards.html

Here is Kimberley singing with Jamie Callum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4chp8f4lDs

Jamie Callum said she was a great singer. Who to? The tone deaf? She has a very weak voice as well.

Hasn't she recently been onstage in the West End? I hope it wasn't a musical. God knows they'd have had to have turned her mike right up. That is not a West End singing voice, so I'll guess they only had her there because she has a 'name.' Atrocious. Get in someone who can sing properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    Why are you surprised no disrespect to her i do really like her but she is easily the weakest singer in GA

Really?? I would've said that was La Cole, now I'm struggling to figure out which one of them is the worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Buster65 wrote: »
    As she was the female lead in musical theatre for eight months, she isn't that deluded :rolleyes:

You don't cast the lead for their musical ability... you cast them for their ability to pull in the crowds.

There are notable exceptions.... but not her.
    Forum Member
    Buster65 wrote: »

Well, as Kimberley had eight months experience singing in the West End musical (never mind all the Girls Aloud tours, appearances etc before live audiences etc) I think it is totally ridiculous that she let nerves get the best of her for the NTA, the other girls Ella (?) from X factor did a professional job, with little stage experience, compared to Kimberley.