Flying with Ryanair for the first time

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't fly very often but whenever I have in the past it's always been with a 'standard' airline (BA, Virgin Atlantic, BMI etc). However I'm going to be flying with Ryanair for the first time next month and i'm interested in hearing if it's really as bad as some people make out?

I hear a lot of people on hear saying things like "Ryanair are awful", "never again" etc but I wonder if these people are just a bit 'precious'. How bad can it be? You're given a seat, you're flown to your location, you get off. My trip is 2.5 hours and i'm perfectly happy to go without drinks, food or entertainment for that period of time.

Also any tips on obvious scams on their part? I'm not checking luggage, have paid for a allocated seat but don't want to hand over any more money to them.

Comments

• gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I personally have never had a problem with them. I flew to Palma with them last year and I don't know if we were lucky but our boarding passes were printed incorrectly but they said as long as we sorted it out for our return flight they wouldn't charge us. And returning my cabin case was a little bigger than the guidelines but the air hostess let me through any way without charging. They're not the comfiest of planes but I can stand it for a couple of hours if I'm going to get where I'm going for half the price.
  • Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I don't fly very often but whenever I have in the past it's always been with a 'standard' airline (BA, Virgin Atlantic, BMI etc). However I'm going to be flying with Ryanair for the first time next month and i'm interested in hearing if it's really as bad as some people make out?

I hear a lot of people on hear saying things like "Ryanair are awful", "never again" etc but I wonder if these people are just a bit 'precious'. How bad can it be? You're given a seat, you're flown to your location, you get off. My trip is 2.5 hours and i'm perfectly happy to go without drinks, food or entertainment for that period of time.

Also any tips on obvious scams on their part? I'm not checking luggage, have paid for a allocated seat but don't want to hand over any more money to them.

I fly with them several times a year and I can't fault them, especially now they have allocated seating (you do not need to pay for it). Staff are really helpful, you need to stick to the rules and if you do you will have no problems.

My one and only minor hassle came in Hungry when I had to go to the desk to check in as the online checkin had failed. I had two hand cases, one had 10.5kgs in it the other 9. The lady insisted we weigh them. I had to transfer half a kilo from one case to the other.

Coffee is €3 I seem to remember for fairly large cup, so not a huge rip off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely fine for short haul. It's about as comfortable as being on a bus.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are what you pay for them. If you don't go expecting the service that you get on airlines you have flown with, know the procedure, make sure you have all the documents you need and get there on time they will be just fine.

Where the problems can lie is they have little to no wiggle room if things go wrong for whatever reason. And if it is just a short flight, the lack of facilities on board shouldn't be an issue.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're on top of all their hidden charges you'll be fine. Make sure you check in online between 15 days and 2 hours before your flight and print your own boarding pass otherwise you will be charged. Double check their hand-luggage weight and dimensions.

Other than that, take butties and your ipod and off you go - enjoy your trip!
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Look out for the fanfare if you arrive on time:D
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I'm flying with them on Friday. First time in a few years, but looking forward to it.

Like others have said, stick to their (perfectly reasonable) rules and you will be fine. Yes, they get bad press, but then so does every airline these days. If they were so utterly awful then they wouldn't be pretty much the only airline making money some serious money right now. Ignore anything you read on line about them being unsafe because they cut corners etc..that's all total nonsense. They are as safe as any other European airline and actually operate one of the worlds youngest fleets.

Like others have also said, don't expect the world, but you can expect an on time flight as for all their bad press, one thing that can't be faulted is their punctuality. It costs them lots of money to be on the ground so unless you happen to fly on a bad weather day, don't expect them to be taking off late!
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Look out for the fanfare if you arrive on time:D

Isn't it Ryanair who do that? I once flew out on holiday with Easyjet and back with Ryanair. Bright yellow and blue and the constant adverts did my head in at 6.30a.m. That said, both carriers got me where I wanted to go at a reasonable price and like the others, follow the rules and they are fine.

EDIT

I don't know what is wrong with me today. I can't read properly! The OP was asking about Ryanair!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered walking, biking, back of a transit van to get to your destination? it may take longer, but for me all those options would be more desirable then ever having to fly Ryanair.

If Ryanair was the only option I just wouldn't go.

If you have low expectations, just lower them further, then just to be on the safe side lower them again and you will be fine...enjoy your trip.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does what it says on the tin. That said, I have seen staff being really nitpicky about the size of cabin luggage - but that's fair enough, you're told the rules in advance. And all the cheap airlines can be completely inflexible about only having one cabin bag, to the extent of not allowing you to have a very small handbag as well. But again. they're only applying their own rules so I don't think there are any real grounds for complaint.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does what it says on the tin. That said, I have seen staff being really nitpicky about the size of cabin luggage - but that's fair enough, you're told the rules in advance. And all the cheap airlines can be completely inflexible about only having one cabin bag, to the extent of not allowing you to have a very small handbag as well. But again. they're only applying their own rules so I don't think there are any real grounds for complaint.

From april Ryanair will be allowing 2 pieces of cabin luggage, the normal sized restricted one and a small handbag. I am flying with ryanair in june, are the seats allocated when booking in online?
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Make sure you enter your name exactly as it is in your passport (although it sounds like it might be too late if not). Print out your boarding passes in plenty of time (to void a jammed printer, no ink, or a myriad other problems on a Saturday night when you're flying at 4am Sunday).

There's probably a few other things, but you will soon learn what to watch out for.

Don't pay attention to other people's opinions about the airline (especially dearmrman's); make up your own mind about it after you've flown. (I've been on dozens of flights with them; I don't particularly look forward to flying, but it doesn't put me off either. Flying is just an ordeal no matter what the airline.)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Have you considered walking, biking, back of a transit van to get to your destination? it may take longer, but for me all those options would be more desirable then ever having to fly Ryanair.

If Ryanair was the only option I just wouldn't go.

If you have low expectations, just lower them further, then just to be on the safe side lower them again and you will be fine...enjoy your trip.

Have you actually flown with them or are you just going by what you have seen in the media?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Have you actually flown with them or are you just going by what you have seen in the media?

Once, well twice it was a return ticket...but will never ever fly with them again. And just in case you ask, I didn't get charged any extra as I obeyed the rules, they are just a sh*t airline. And to be fair it's not just Ryanair, Virgin deserve the same kind of credit as well.

That's my honest feeling about them, you don't have to agree with me, many won't. Even more now that I have said Virgin are just as bad.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flown with them twice, pretty much what everyone else said. Get you there no fuss. No need to deal with long check in queues as you have to pre-print your boarding pass else there is an extra charge. Take your own food and you can buy water or a drink once you are air side.

I travelled on the days before pre-allocated seating when it used to be a mad rush for seats. Even though families and priority seating (i.e. pay more money) were supposed to board first it never worked out that way.

The only thing is they do allow for delays in their schedule so being 'on time' would be late for other airlines and like easy jet they don't always use the main airports.

But if you doing a couple of hours flight to europe and just want to get there for the cheapest price then they are fine.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've flown ryanair a few times purely for cost and they are crap, but for short flights I wasn't bothered.

The last time wasn't too bad though and that was last week, so I guess they're improving their bad image.
  • KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member

Your hand luggage, take something like a ruck sack I find this is the best thing to use, and place items into

Duty free, check with the airport, if your allowed a second bag, as when you turn up to board, Ryanair crew might tell you, your only allowed one piece of luggage, and they might even try to weigh it, as your only allowed 10kg

Some airports have an agreement with Ryanair to allow passenger to take 2 pieces of hand luggage onto the flight, but Ryanair don't always honour it
    Forum Member
    Kosciusko wrote: »
    , your only allowed one piece of luggage, and they might even try to weigh it, as your only allowed 10kg

Your allowed 2 bags, one 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 2
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say 10kg, but no one was checking the weights when we went
  • KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    They say 10kg, but no one was checking the weights when we went

I flew with Ryanair 3 yrs ago, my hand luggage wasn't weighed, or size of the bag checked, but the crew were watching passengers, and one or two were stopped and had there bags weighed...shock horror bag weighed 12 kgs, bag into hold, and €50 fee

so they always watch, as they will catch someone out
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I'd choose to stay home if going somewhere meant ryanair involved. Who knows, it might've upped the ante in recent years in terms of its service but you'll be able to form your own opinion of them soon enough.
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    From april Ryanair will be allowing 2 pieces of cabin luggage, the normal sized restricted one and a small handbag. I am flying with ryanair in june, are the seats allocated when booking in online?

Yes, you get your seats allocated when you do your online booking, unless you pay the €5 and choose your seats.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend Aer Lingus myself if you welcome service with a smile and feel your custom is actually appreciated:)
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as the plane doesn't crash thats all I care about, safety is paramount to me when choosing an airline above anything else.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    As long as the plane doesn't crash thats all I care about, safety is paramount to me when choosing an airline above anything else.

they are one of the safest airlines to fly with, especially considering the number of flights they have. One incident worth reporting on and that was due to birds strikes on landing, no fatalities.