Can anyone tell me the benefits of a kindle?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    Ty - that pretty much covers afew of my questions. I bloody love reading in the bath :(

I use my Kindle in the bath and have never had any problems.

I make sure that my hands are not wet so that I don't get the Kindle wet - and keep a towel close by in case I need to dry my hands.

I also put a folded towel on the floor immediately next to the bath so that I can easily toss the Kindle onto it if I splash the water or something and I want the Kindle a bit further away from the bath.

Of course it's not foolproof but, tbh, it's not that different to reading a paperback in the bath - you're trying to keep it out the water in the same way. The only difference is that obviously if you DO drop it then the cost of replacement is much higher. I have never dropped a book or a Kindle in my bath in my life so it's not been an issue for me so far.

If you are worried about dropping your Kindle off the side of your bed or getting it wet in the bath then you could take out insurance on your Kindle.

Also, a Kindle doesn't have to completely replace normal books. You can still read a normal book in situations where you don't want to use your Kindle.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yet another pointless accessory for those with too much money.....Why not just join your local library?

Utter nonsense.

I love 'real' books, love the smell, the weight in my hand etc but if your travelling or just crashed out in bed the option of having hundreds of books at hand via your Kindle is wonderful. I, like you, was Kindle 'Luddite' until the children gave me one and it took me no time at all to see the advantages in certain circumstances of having use of a Kindle.

They won't replace paper books for me but they are one of the modern worlds more useful gadgets IMHO.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best benefit of a Kindle when travelling is the size and weight. I've often gone on a 1-2 week holiday with 3 or 4 books to read, and they take up space and weight in your suitcase. In this day and age, where lots of airlines charge for hold luggage, or give less weight allowance than they used to, the ability to carry several books on a Kindle is a definite benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're worried about reading a Kindle in the bath, this is a possible solution: http://www.proporta.com/product/aquapac-waterproof-kindle-touch-cover
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're worried about reading a Kindle in the bath, this is a possible solution: http://www.proporta.com/product/aquapac-waterproof-kindle-touch-cover

Can you still turn pages?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like that, but if you go deeper than five meters the pressure increases and it starts touching itself :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The description says you can. I know people who have bought these in the past for other devices and they were able to be used inside the Aquapac. Proporta have been selling them since the Palm days, so I'd guess they must work otherwise word would have got round by now!:D
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, a ziplock freezer bag would probably work fine too... need to do some testing...
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also point out that the Kindle is not the only eReader. It's always good to look at the alternatives, you may still decide Kindle but it is good to make an informed decision - the choice revolves around whether you want to use exclusively Amazon or whether you want to use all the other ebook retailers and libraries, the eReader hardware is not the major issue.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I would also point out that the Kindle is not the only eReader. It's always good to look at the alternatives, you may still decide Kindle but it is good to make an informed decision - the choice revolves around whether you want to use exclusively Amazon or whether you want to use all the other ebook retailers and libraries, the eReader hardware is not the major issue.
    That is a good point, especially if you use the local library.
    Many libraries now offer eBook as a lending format, but the Kindle does not support this.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yet another pointless accessory for those with too much money.....Why not just join your local library?

Well said. Same goes for 'washing machines' and these 'television' things. Why oh why do people bother with these devices when they can simply go to their local riverbank to wash their clothing - and they could follow this up with a trip to a nearby music hall or picture palace ??? :confused:
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    To be honest, a ziplock freezer bag would probably work fine too... need to do some testing...

I've done this many times. I've never dropped my kindle whilst in the bath so I can't say if it works or not. You can also buy waterproof cases from amazon or eBay for a few quid that offer more protection. I have one that I used to use with my Kindle keyboard but it won't work with my paperwhite as its touch screen. The ziplock freezer bag still works with the paperwhite though.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A ziplock freezer bag is fine to protect from wet hands and splashes but it probably wouldn't be watertight enough to save a Kindle if it is dropped in the bath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually read my books via Kindle app on either my iPhone or iPad but my wife has bought me a real book which I have now started reading.

Firstly, my god, how heavy is it in my bag. It's not a hardcover but is quite a thick paperback (it's a non-fiction). My bag weighs a ton carrying this brick around.

Secondly, trying to eat my lunch whilst reading in the work canteen. It's ok for the first few pages of the book because I can put my banana or phone on the book to keep the pages open but the further you get into the book, the weight needed to keep the pages open becomes too much and I need to hold it. But then I'm forced to eat my lunch single handed.

What a palava. I'm grateful to my wife for the gift, but I'll be glad to get back to my e-books.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    I usually read my books via Kindle app on either my iPhone or iPad but my wife has bought me a real book which I have now started reading.

Firstly, my god, how heavy is it in my bag. It's not a hardcover but is quite a thick paperback (it's a non-fiction). My bag weighs a ton carrying this brick around.

Secondly, trying to eat my lunch whilst reading in the work canteen. It's ok for the first few pages of the book because I can put my banana or phone on the book to keep the pages open but the further you get into the book, the weight needed to keep the pages open becomes too much and I need to hold it. But then I'm forced to eat my lunch single handed.

What a palava. I'm grateful to my wife for the gift, but I'll be glad to get back to my e-books.

Love it !!!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »

There is an already-classic TV comedy sketch on this very subject.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    Well said. Same goes for 'washing machines' and these 'television' things. Why oh why do people bother with these devices when they can simply go to their local riverbank to wash their clothing - and they could follow this up with a trip to a nearby music hall or picture palace ??? :confused:

Not to mention that new-fangled reading malarkey. What's wrong with just listening and talking to people? Nothing beats a good sit down round the camp fire when Ogg tells his mammoth hunt stories.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    - not all books are available for the kindle
    - one of the major ebook formats is not supported (is it epub?)
    - You don't really own your books, so you cannot lend them to your mates. They are permanently linked to your amazon account; what would happen to them on your demise is unclear..

Not quite true.
    1. If you use Calibre software, you can convert books into the Kindle format.
    2. If you send your books to your normal e-mail address instead of the Kindle, you can store them on Calibre and send them to your friends Kindles or other E-Readers.

I swap books with my BIL, I have Kindle, he has Sony. We just convert the books as required via Calibre
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get the Telegraph app on a Kindle?

I don't want comments about why I want the Telegraph, just the technical info!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get the Telegraph app on a Kindle?

I don't want comments about why I want the Telegraph, just the technical info!

So far as I can work out, you can subscribe to the Telegraph on an e-ink Kindle but there isn't a version for the Kindle Fire.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sue!
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the eink screen is very delicate and u should keep any bookreader kindle in protective case.

tablets have a lcd screen and are more robust generally. possibly a tablet with ereader app ?

i luv my k3 with 900 books on and free 3g internet access (doing this post on it over 3g right now).

advantage is around 800 books and instant access to websites. but no video of course.

any website free onlne is also free on kindle 3 3g. the k4 3g needs amazon subscriptions for newspapers. and fire has no 3g of course.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kindle repairs: google "reotech".
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the eink screen is very delicate and u should keep any bookreader kindle in protective case.

tablets have a lcd screen and are more robust generally. possibly a tablet with ereader app ?

i luv my k3 with 900 books on and free 3g internet access (doing this post on it over 3g right now).

advantage is around 800 books and instant access to websites. but no video of course.

any website free onlne is also free on kindle 3 3g. the k4 3g needs amazon subscriptions for newspapers. and fire has no 3g of course.

I don't know I think an LCD screen is just as fragile as its made of glass. Anyhow I agree a cover would be recommended. I had a rare accident the other day, a whole bottle of fruit juice leaked into my bag. My bag was flooded but amazingly all my tech (mobile phone, iPod touch, ipad mini, kindle paperwhite) didn't get a drop on them. This is because they were all protected in cases.