"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Oh god just spotted another REPEAT short its John Michie's "Highland Highlights" :rolleyes: weren't these repeated in 2012, 2011 and so forth :D (roll on the repeated shorts again ... is John Michie getting royalties from rhe repeats or STV being tighfisted and expect him being paid by ITV whilst on Corrie :eek: ) again why are these on (for god knows its beyond :sleep: this now) ... I agree with you on Film premieres as I see Inglorious Bas...ds was shown on channel 4 few months back but premiered on ITV, yet has not seen the light of day on STV.

Not sure how many STV haven't screened over the last couple of years - maybe about half a dozen. :(
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Not sure how many STV haven't screened over the last couple of years - maybe about half a dozen. :(

I do know that say ITV "rescreened" "deep blue sea" STV were not far from airing its repeat surprisingly. So STV can air dated/outdated films but when it comes to "movie premieres" it swings in roundabouts (pretty sure christmas 2012 was the only time STV aired most of the films ITV were playing at same time) but after that STV reverts to going in time machine and sticks to the past, now what show reminds me of them stuck in the time machine .... oh yeah thats right "nightshift"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot see the logic in not screening Deep Blue Sea on Saturday night. Instead they trotted out an 18 year old movie, albeit a well rated one. Why make life difficult for themselves as they will have to fiind a place for it (if they are indeed screening it) - if not screening, then surely it can only be about saving money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot see the logic in not screening Deep Blue Sea on Saturday night. Instead they trotted out an 18 year old movie, albeit a well rated one. Why make life difficult for themselves as they will have to fiind a place for it (if they are indeed screening it) - if not screening, then surely it can only be about saving money?

I would not be at all surprised knowing this lot, be it all about the "savings" its makes. May as well if they want to make more "savings" just shut us down up North make it a whole lot easier!

But I don't understand STV's logic in films I really don't, I think it was Friday or Thursday there Mad Max 2 was on, yet knowing ITV you would see that doing the runs on ITV3/4, but ITV most of the time air updated films whilst STV re-runs films from the past couple of decades without a premiere, I think it was with footy last week, STV put on "our house in umbria", STV sure do make some crap film choices whether be late at night or part of their "opt out" range. I think if we want "premieres" on channels 1-5 best bet is going to BBC,CH4,CH5 (or ITV), it still shows how stuck in "the past" STV really is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main STV OPT OUTS over the next few days:-

WEDNESDAY 6TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JEREMY KYLE (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Jackpot 247/Columbo/Jeremy Kyle).

THURSDAY 7TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Grimefighters/Jackpot 247/River Monsters/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

FRIDAY 8TH:-
    EVENING - STV: MOVIEJUICE (ITV: Wild Britain With Ray Mears).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - MEMPHIS BELLE, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Film - Hard Target/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

SATURDAY 9TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: VET SCHOOL BITES (rpt), HOLIDAY HOME SWEET HOME, COLUMBO (rpt) (ITV: Live Football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire/Jackpot 247/In Plain Sight/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 10TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: MONK (rpt), LEWIS (rpt) (ITV: Live FA Cup Football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: IT'LL BE ALRIGHT ON THE NIGHT (rpt), CELEBRITY WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MONDAY 11TH:-
    EVENING - STV: SCOTTISH PASSPORT (rpt) (ITV: Cornwall With Caroline Quentin).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, GRIMEFIGHTERS (rpt), COLUMBO (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Monk/Jackpot 247/Jeremy Kyle).

Comment: STV viewers lose out on one of the biggest football ties of the season - the live FA Cup clash between 2 of Britain's biggest teams - Manchester United & Chelsea. They don't even show highlights. Even though Manchester United have a sympathetic following from many Celtic fans, I guess this tie is still "not relevant to Scotland". :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main STV OPT OUTS over the next few days:-

WEDNESDAY 6TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JEREMY KYLE (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Jackpot 247/Columbo/Jeremy Kyle).

THURSDAY 7TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Grimefighters/Jackpot 247/River Monsters/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

FRIDAY 8TH:-
    EVENING - STV: MOVIEJUICE (ITV: Wild Britain With Ray Mears).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - MEMPHIS BELLE, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Film - Hard Target/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

SATURDAY 9TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: VET SCHOOL BITES (rpt), HOLIDAY HOME SWEET HOME, COLUMBO (rpt) (ITV: Live Football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire/Jackpot 247/In Plain Sight/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 10TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: MONK (rpt), LEWIS (rpt) (ITV: Live FA Cup Football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: IT'LL BE ALRIGHT ON THE NIGHT (rpt), CELEBRITY WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, GRIMEFIGHTERS (rpt), COLUMBO (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Monk/Jackpot 247/Jeremy Kyle).

Comment: STV viewers lose out on one of the biggest football ties of the season - the live FA Cup clash between 2 of Britain's biggest teams - Manchester United & Chelsea. They don't even show highlights. Even though Manchester United have a sympathetic following from many Celtic fans, I guess this tie is still "not relevant to Scotland". :rolleyes:

Surprised as the last time they "praise" Sir Alex Ferguson all the time on STV (wonder if it will be featured on STV News on Monday?? .... thought not LOL) but this is STV though its "pick n mix" as well with footy (i aint a football supporter here but it baffles me the coverage STV shows even if its "English" teams, Don't see STV running to cover Scottish footbal and that is in dire straits :rolleyes: ) .... oh well I can see pubs and people going to ITV (possibly on sky) to watch this match....

EDIT ... Vet School Bites "invading" daytime telly on saturday (possibly again ... so these never ending repeats are on during the day as well as last thing before "nightshift") STV sure need to invest in providing better programming than just use these "repeats" its beyond tedius - what is STV's problem here as I can't make sense of it for 10 mins!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main STV OPT OUTS for the rest of the week are as follows:-

TUESDAY 12TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JEREMY KYLE (rpt), IN PLAIN SIGHT (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Piers Morgan's Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle).

WEDNESDAY 13TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, PIERS MORGAN'S LIFE STORIES (rpt), RIVER MONSTERS (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Sports Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Jeremy Kyle).

THURSDAY 14TH:-

FRIDAY 15TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: CHILD 31, SPORTS LIFE STORIES, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Film - Mad Max 2/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

Comment:- Wild Britain With Ray Mears - yet another ITV networked programme that's dropped off the STV radar. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the main STV OPT OUTS up to & including next Friday (22nd):-

LATE NIGHT - STV: CHILD 31, SPORTS LIFE STORIES, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Film - Mad Max 2/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

SATURDAY 16TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: LEWIS (rpt) (ITV: Midsomer Murders).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - CHILDREN OF MEN (ITV: Film - Total Recall/Jackpot 247/In Plain Sight/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 17TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: MONK (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MONDAY 18TH:-

TUESDAY 19TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JEREMY KYLE (rpt), IN PLAIN SIGHT (rpt) (ITV: Piers Morgan's Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle).

WEDNESDAY 20TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, PIERS MORGAN'S LIFE STORIES (rpt), JEREMY KYLE (rpt) (ITV: Sports Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Jeremy Kyle).

THURSDAY 21ST:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Around The House/Jackpot 247/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

FRIDAY 22ND:-
    EVENING - STV: POMS IN PARADISE (10 of 10), FILM - AMAZING GRACE (ITV: San Marino v England live football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SPORTS LIFE STORIES, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

Comment: Whilst the lack of coverage of the international football may not be a great loss to STV viewers, once again the channel puzzles its viewers by screening a random Poms In Paradise!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the main STV OPT OUTS up to & including next Friday (22nd):-

SATURDAY 16TH:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: LEWIS (rpt) (ITV: Midsomer Murders).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: FILM - CHILDREN OF MEN (ITV: Film - Total Recall/Jackpot 247/In Plain Sight/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 17TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: MONK (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MONDAY 18TH:-

LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JEREMY KYLE (rpt), IN PLAIN SIGHT (rpt) (ITV: Piers Morgan's Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle).

LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, PIERS MORGAN'S LIFE STORIES (rpt), JEREMY KYLE (rpt) (ITV: Sports Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Jeremy Kyle).

LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Around The House/Jackpot 247/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

EVENING - STV: POMS IN PARADISE (10 of 10), FILM - AMAZING GRACE (ITV: San Marino v England live football).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SPORTS LIFE STORIES, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Football Highlights/Jackpot 247/Columbo/Nightscreen).

Comment: Whilst the lack of coverage of the international football may not be a great loss to STV viewers, once again the channel puzzles its viewers by screening a random Poms In Paradise!

I guess STV have finally reached the end of POMS :rolleyes: and it took them how long?? .... If I was following a programme like POMS I would recommend seeing it on ITV than STV. STV is a joke of a station, more to the point it is a disgrace that a YEAR OLD programme has actually finished! 10 episodes thats it ... 10! ... Can STV not stick to showing it at a time for 10 weeks or is that too hard for them to do?? - lets not forget STV started showing this series I believe back in October (just before christmas) and its finished in March :eek::confused:

Whether STV has thrown a "random" POMS episode on and haven't stuck to the run is another matter but pretty much proves as a channel it most definately aint "fit for purpose"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching Poms on STV would surely have given up ages ago - what a disgrace. Likewise Ray Mears - started a number of weeks ago and it too is disappearing then reappearing - pathetically amateurish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching Poms on STV would surely have given up ages ago - what a disgrace. Likewise Ray Mears - started a number of weeks ago and it too is disappearing then reappearing - pathetically amateurish.

The other thing I have to laugh at is "James Nesbitt's Ireland" starts MONDAY - guess Scottish Passport is off :D but yet Cornwall has never been shown (series 2) ... so will STV "buy it" and Jamie Olivier up a bit or will it be left til ITV re run it on a weekday afternoon :rolleyes:

STV should really STICK to airing say a programme like "ray mears" with the ITV run than start it up .... put their crap on then "forget" about inital programme and randomly throw it on either during the day (weekend) or before the nightshift :mad:

Lets also get this correct here (not you) but before the merge your "channel" found a way to stick the shows missing in the schedule and kept to it, now if you look at the great station of STV they are at the joke with it all .. lets not kid ourselves here - if no-one can't see then you must be that blind to notice, Yes I know ITV ain't any better but good god your guaranteed a programme to be shown no matter what - but because we live in STVLand they treat Joe public as if they are THICK - I wonder when the "other" missing programmes from 3/4 years ago will appear? Example "Gunrush" a 2 parter has still not seen the light of day up here and before anyone ASKS ITV are not releasing a DVD on it. So to say STV are "good" at what they do - you must be that stupid to believe that!

I'll also add if James Nesbitt's Ireland gets a Series 2 (surmising here) ... will STV show it or will they treat it like Cornwall recently :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'll also add if James Nesbitt's Ireland gets a Series 2 (surmising here) ... will STV show it or will they treat it like Cornwall recently :rolleyes:

It's probably a one-off series. It is highly unlikely that STV would not show it, given that Ireland and Scotland are Celtic countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    It's probably a one-off series. It is highly unlikely that STV would not show it, given that Ireland and Scotland are Celtic countries.

Your possibly right sunhill, my conclusion of thinking was say the likes of "cornwall" which has had 2 series so far and if this was a new one with James Nesbitt be the same take as Caroline Quentin ... possibly wrong here lol.

I just find it strange how STV works with its "programming" and this is an example .... shove "cornwall" to the side for Scottish Passport (include repeats) and then this comes along and jump on bandwagon? STV is just awkward is what I think :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no consistency with STV - examples being Poms, Ray Mears & Cornwall. Those 3 programmes are good examples of where they started them then decided to move them all over the schedule over months on end!

And we are still waiting on them showing a drama that featured Gregor Fisher last year (can't remember the name) along with countless others (Law & Order UK, Whitechapel, Eternal Law, Scott & Bailey, Benidorm etc etc)....

Biggest scheduling gripes IMO are:-

1. If they start a series they should continue it at the same time every week till it ends!! (just as ITV do) - examples as above. If they can't do this they should at least afford their viewers the courtesy of letting them know when it will reappear!

2. Wherever possible they should follow the ITV schedule - e.g. why show a different film and then have to find a place for the networked ITV film at a later date??

3. Film premieres shown on the ITV network should be shown by STV - at the same time!! (We are still waiting on several films).

4. There should be NO deviation from the primetime big dramas/programmes - anything else is a disservice and insult to Scottish viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is absolutely no consistency with STV - examples being Poms, Ray Mears & Cornwall. Those 3 programmes are good examples of where they started them then decided to move them all over the schedule over months on end!

And we are still waiting on them showing a drama that featured Gregor Fisher last year (can't remember the name) along with countless others (Law & Order UK, Whitechapel, Eternal Law, Scott & Bailey, Benidorm etc etc)....

Biggest scheduling gripes IMO are:-

1. If they start a series they should continue it at the same time every week till it ends!! (just as ITV do) - examples as above. If they can't do this they should at least afford their viewers the courtesy of letting them know when it will reappear!

2. Wherever possible they should follow the ITV schedule - e.g. why show a different film and then have to find a place for the networked ITV film at a later date??

3. Film premieres shown on the ITV network should be shown by STV - at the same time!! (We are still waiting on several films).

4. There should be NO deviation from the primetime big dramas/programmes - anything else is a disservice and insult to Scottish viewers.

I agree with you MrSirs ... and these are exactly examples that STV have really "insulted" the viewer. I would say in regards of say Ray Mears/Cornwall knowing this lot they will find a way that ITV are REPEATING it to save STV skin :rolleyes:

Again STV don't think of say the missing "dramas" as they will say "look out on itv2......" that beats the whole purpose of showing them. Example at moment and I am guessing I believe ITV3 are showing SERIES 2 (can confirm that NOW just went on ITV's site and on ep 6 on Thursday) ..... yep STV never screened this at all but AGAIN ITV are picking up the pieces, irony of it all is the STV/ITV ad for "drama" (basic STV rip off ITV ad anyway and advertises Scott and Bailey) kinda pointless for STV to "feature" it since SERIES 2 has not seen the light of day up here on STV only ITV3 screening it! :mad:

So lets get real with this STV is just .... they are making savings and getting programmes El Cheapo, they don't much care about "scheduling" of shows and are making a mockery of what I would have called a great channel in its heyday but now it rather line more money in its own pockets and care less about the viewer... no wonder people have Sky/Virgin - its mostly STV's LOSS and ITV's own GAIN. If I was fair I would like STV to grow some balls for once than be ran by a bunch of muppets!

Everything STV touches doesn't print money anymore .... the ink for their money has gone dry :D STV feeling the "pinch" over the past 3 years i doubt it, but wouldn't pass this lot if money they "save" lines the pockets of higher management more than anything they actually do as a channel now that says something, maybe something to think about if people think STV is "wonderful"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The STV main OPT OUTS are as follows:-

EVENING - STV: POMS IN PARADISE (10 of 10) :confused:, FILM - AMAZING GRACE (ITV: San Marino v England live football).

SATURDAY 23RD:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: MURDER SHE WROTE (rpt), INCREDIBLE STORIES (ITV: Midsomer Murders).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Jackpot 247/Ladette To Lady/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 24TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: STV RUGBY, SCOTLAND REVEALED MOMENTS (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MONDAY 25TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT SPECIAL, GRIMEFIGHTERS (rpt), COLUMBO (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Unforgettable Spike Milligan/Monk/Jackpot 247/Jeremy Kyle).

TUESDAY 26TH:-
    EVENING - STV: WILD BRITAIN WITH RAY MEARS (4 of 10) :confused:, LEWIS (rpt), BEYOND EXPLANATION :rolleyes:(rpt) (ITV: Live Football England v Montenegro).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, UNFORGETTABLE SPIKE MILLIGAN (rpt), MONK (rpt), RIVER MONSTERS (rpt) (ITV: International Football Highlights/Piers Morgan's Life Stories).

WEDNESDAY 27TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, PIERS MORGAN'S LIFE STORIES (rpt), MONK (rpt) (ITV: Sports Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Columbo).

THURSDAY 28TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: River Monsters/Jackpot 247/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

GOOD FRIDAY 29TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Jackpot 247).

Comment: Apart from Saturday afternoon and Tuesday evening STV follows the network up until late night. With Ray Mears making a "reappearance" on Tuesday evening it is indeed Beyond Explanation! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The STV main OPT OUTS are as follows:-

EVENING - STV: POMS IN PARADISE (10 of 10) :confused:, FILM - AMAZING GRACE (ITV: San Marino v England live football).

SATURDAY 23RD:-
    AFTERNOON - STV: MURDER SHE WROTE (rpt), INCREDIBLE STORIES (ITV: Midsomer Murders).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Jackpot 247/Ladette To Lady/Nightscreen).

SUNDAY 24TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: STV RUGBY, SCOTLAND REVEALED MOMENTS (rpt), THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Rugby Union/The Store/Monk/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MONDAY 25TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT SPECIAL, GRIMEFIGHTERS (rpt), COLUMBO (rpt), NIGHTSCREEN (ITV: Unforgettable Spike Milligan/Monk/Jackpot 247/Jeremy Kyle).

TUESDAY 26TH:-
    EVENING - STV: WILD BRITAIN WITH RAY MEARS (4 of 10) :confused:, LEWIS (rpt), BEYOND EXPLANATION :rolleyes:(rpt) (ITV: Live Football England v Montenegro).
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, UNFORGETTABLE SPIKE MILLIGAN (rpt), MONK (rpt), RIVER MONSTERS (rpt) (ITV: International Football Highlights/Piers Morgan's Life Stories).

WEDNESDAY 27TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, PIERS MORGAN'S LIFE STORIES (rpt), MONK (rpt) (ITV: Sports Life Stories/Jackpot 247/Columbo).

THURSDAY 28TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - STV: SCOTLAND TONIGHT, THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: River Monsters/Jackpot 247/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

GOOD FRIDAY 29TH:-
    LATE NIGHT - THE NIGHTSHIFT (ITV: Jackpot 247).

Comment: Apart from Saturday afternoon and Tuesday evening STV follows the network up until late night. With Ray Mears making a "reappearance" on Tuesday evening it is indeed Beyond Explanation! :(

Well well well Beyond Explanation ANOTHER beyond repeated show and past its sell by date is back again .... seriously?? STV have to be taking the joke here, Bob Servant was on the BBC not long ago! :D and Scotland Revealed moments on AGAIN :eek: .... I seriously got to laugh at this why are these on even if its "killing time" these programmes are DATED! and finally Incredible Stories isn't that "Banged Up Abroad" which is already a National Geographic show and is also on what other channel?? Channel 5 (5*). STV must think we are that thick when it comes to some of these "opt outs" (renaming shows) and the 10-15 min filler is well past a joke. STV is most definately stuck in the past if it can't move forward from these "fillers" and as for Ray Mears/POMS appearing "earlier" and random it further proves how amateurish this lot have become sadly. Surely heads have to roll here as something needs to be done with the tripe this lot put out!

I am pretty sure some Scots would rather watch England play whether they win or not as we ain't got any chance of seeing any Scotland games instead on STV :rolleyes: oh wait STV don't think outside the box even if it comes to footy either, throw some repeated shows instead and films from 90's or earlier as "filler" and then stick on more "filler" before news - what would I watch eh footy instead! :D
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Okay, let's look at the other side of the coin here.

STV is not showing the England games as provided by the network.

A few points here:
    * Scotland are playing at the exact same time. If they were to show them, many people would criticise the station for showing England when Scotland are playing.
    * STV would presumably be paying as much as the rest of the ITV network for a game which does not have as much relevance to its audience as the rest of the country.
    * Therefore, is it value for money for STV to show this game? (and before anyone complains, STV is a free service and a commercial company)
    * In addition, it is unlikely to be commercially viable to compete with Sky to broadcast the Scotland game. Sky is a subscriber-funded broadcaster which covers the whole of the UK and Ireland and has a bit more cash. ITV has more chance with England games as it covers the majority of the country and can rake in more money in advertising.
    * On the basis that it doesn't make any sense to show the England game, and that STV can't compete with Sky to show the Scotland game, that then leaves a gaping hole in the schedules. What would be the point in broadcasting a one-off show to fill that gap, which means you can't build up a loyal audience, or to programme a show for when that gap comes up due to football? Especially if it's up against a Scotland game and the audience may be low anyway. People would just complain they couldn't find it. Therefore, repeats are the best option.

Now, here's the twist. That's a devil's advocate argument. I actually reckon STV does itself harm by not showing these games because, frankly, people who want to see them will find them anyway. It's not so bad with England games for the reasons mentioned above, but a lot of people are heading over to channel 853 etc to find ITV for FA Cup football. That's an audience that might not come back. Indeed, I can name a few chippies who haven't. It's a 90s strategy in a 21st century world, and unless the savings are huge it's not worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »

A few points here:
    * Scotland are playing at the exact same time. If they were to show them, many people would criticise the station for showing England when Scotland are playing.
    * STV would presumably be paying as much as the rest of the ITV network for a game which does not have as much relevance to its audience as the rest of the country.
    * Therefore, is it value for money for STV to show this game? (and before anyone complains, STV is a free service and a commercial company)
    * In addition, it is unlikely to be commercially viable to compete with Sky to broadcast the Scotland game. Sky is a subscriber-funded broadcaster which covers the whole of the UK and Ireland and has a bit more cash. ITV has more chance with England games as it covers the majority of the country and can rake in more money in advertising.
    * On the basis that it doesn't make any sense to show the England game, and that STV can't compete with Sky to show the Scotland game, that then leaves a gaping hole in the schedules. What would be the point in broadcasting a one-off show to fill that gap, which means you can't build up a loyal audience, or to programme a show for when that gap comes up due to football? Especially if it's up against a Scotland game and the audience may be low anyway. People would just complain they couldn't find it. Therefore, repeats are the best option.

Now, here's the twist. That's a devil's advocate argument. I actually reckon STV does itself harm by not showing these games because, frankly, people who want to see them will find them anyway. It's not so bad with England games for the reasons mentioned above, but a lot of people are heading over to channel 853 etc to find ITV for FA Cup football. That's an audience that might not come back. Indeed, I can name a few chippies who haven't. It's a 90s strategy in a 21st century world, and unless the savings are huge it's not worth it.

But don't you think then really STV needs to at least get it finger out and do something in regards of Scottish football other than rely on other networks to show it? Other than they have a "discussion" on most things Celtic/Rangers don't you think? I'll agree with some of the things you said above but really? I agree its the 21st century but STV are stuck in the past, lets also remember this is a commercial company that says it makes "profits" so why no competition with say Sky or ESPN to screen the match or "work together" is STV that tight fisted with its own money it rather "save" on its crap programming and invest on websites? Yes ITV are a big company also but seem to produce a hell alot of programming and gets income as well from the footy surely STV needs to open more for business??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few points here:

I agree with you re the England international games - IMO I don't miss them and it probably wouldn't make commercial sense for STV to air them for the reasons you give. The gripe
    I have re football is (as you mention) the lack of FA Cup football on STV - we've missed out on some big games already up here this season and I find it odd that STV will not feature Scotland's greatest club manager - Sir Alex Ferguson (BTW I'm not a Man. Utd. fan) on its channel. Maybe he's "not relevant to Scotland?!" :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But don't you think then really STV needs to at least get it finger out and do something in regards of Scottish football other than rely on other networks to show it? Other than they have a "discussion" on most things Celtic/Rangers don't you think? I'll agree with some of the things you said above but really? I agree its the 21st century but STV are stuck in the past, lets also remember this is a commercial company that says it makes "profits" so why no competition with say Sky or ESPN to screen the match or "work together" is STV that tight fisted with its own money it rather "save" on its crap programming and invest on websites? Yes ITV are a big company also but seem to produce a hell alot of programming and gets income as well from the footy surely STV needs to open more for business??

Know where you're coming from re that - as you will remember years ago STV had Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon then Football First (Div. 1 highlights only). The awful Sports Centre appeared a couple of years ago but it was dire.

STV have been left behind in that dept - they do try sometimes when one of our clubs is in a major tournament - e.g. Celtic in the Champions League, whereby they had their own studio "panel" and commentary. However the BBC's Sportscene is now firmly established in the football minds, plus fans can now access highlights online and the SFL highlights appear on the SFL website.

I do think STV could try harder though - show FA Cup games (post as above) for a start, and perhaps look at some arrangement with the SFL to show the Scottish League highlights. I do believe they show the SPL goals online.
    Forum Member

The problem with Scottish football is there are relatively few bankers that would get a big commercial audience.

Old Firm matches and Scotland games get a disproportionate audience to any other game that takes place, which most of Scotland wouldn't watch if it was taking place in their back garden.

Unfortunately for STV, Old Firm and Scotland games have a market outside the country. It may be one that's not mainstream and fairly small, but subscribers of sports channels will be interested in them, so it makes commercial sense for Sky to take them on.

The test is whether what STV would pay for these games would be met by advertising and sponsorship. Given the price has been pushed up over the years, and that the publicly-funded BBC would be in for them as well, I fear the answer is no.

I would bring back the sports discussion programme btw. The audience for the Old Firm is just so big that any sort of talk about them whatsoever gathers a huge audience. One upon a time we had an era where Clyde, Real and Radio Scotland all had football programmes at the same time, and Real have only moved away from that because it won't fit with future plans to change it into Heart. People are obsessed in this country, particularly in the west of Scotland, but unfortunately (for me, as I don't like the Old Firm) outwith as well.

Thing is, I think STV's playing a political game at the moment. The independence referendum date will be announced today, there's always a danger of ITV swooping into to buy them, and the future of the Border region is under discussion. They want to demonstrate to politicians and opinion formers that they still have a role to play. Hence the likes of localising STV News and producing Scotland Tonight will do more to win those people over than ratings-grabbing (but presumably expensive to produce) football shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Scottish football is there are relatively few bankers that would get a big commercial audience.

Old Firm matches and Scotland games get a disproportionate audience to any other game that takes place, which most of Scotland wouldn't watch if it was taking place in their back garden.

Unfortunately for STV, Old Firm and Scotland games have a market outside the country. It may be one that's not mainstream and fairly small, but subscribers of sports channels will be interested in them, so it makes commercial sense for Sky to take them on.

The test is whether what STV would pay for these games would be met by advertising and sponsorship. Given the price has been pushed up over the years, and that the publicly-funded BBC would be in for them as well, I fear the answer is no.

I would bring back the sports discussion programme btw. The audience for the Old Firm is just so big that any sort of talk about them whatsoever gathers a huge audience. One upon a time we had an era where Clyde, Real and Radio Scotland all had football programmes at the same time, and Real have only moved away from that because it won't fit with future plans to change it into Heart. People are obsessed in this country, particularly in the west of Scotland, but unfortunately (for me, as I don't like the Old Firm) outwith as well.

Thing is, I think STV's playing a political game at the moment. The independence referendum date will be announced today, there's always a danger of ITV swooping into to buy them, and the future of the Border region is under discussion. They want to demonstrate to politicians and opinion formers that they still have a role to play. Hence the likes of localising STV News and producing Scotland Tonight will do more to win those people over than ratings-grabbing (but presumably expensive to produce) football shows.

You've hit the nail on the head re the market - it's moved on in the last decade and STV couldn't compete in that area.

That's why STV has to (if need be) ride on someone else's coat tails to earn kudos - the ITV network for the FA Cup games, and a deal with the SFL and /or Sky to show SFL highlights on tv.

The sports discussion show - well as said I thought Sports Centre was awful, and it's never reappeared. Maybe they should look at that area again though too.
    Forum Member
    and a deal with the SFL and /or Sky to show SFL highlights on tv.

The only SFL highlights a commercial broadcaster would want to show relate to Rangers, and it strikes me as unlikely that Sky/ESPN/BT would want to give those up. Some of the other supports are non-existent.

I assume STV get rugby rights for next to nothing, and that it is a good political move to show them ("we're not just about football you know")
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll pick up on this part for discussion - but isn't STV playing a very dangerous game with politics?? I personally think STV IS the SNP propaganda machine as far as I see being honest and not as most people say BBC - you just got to look "behind" the STV led sponsored programming ie Their charity or a worst example "the greatest scot" they were all backed by the SNP government and regarding the referendum didn't STV get sponsored a whole week with "The Sun" and oh look coincidence or not BOTH announced it the same day makes you think doesn't it? :eek:

I ain't into much politics but I just look at more outside the box and do the "maths" :D thats what I make of it