Review of the Grundig GUFSDTR500

Comments

• bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    In the latest Which issue, the GFSDTR500HD is tested and they do mention the irritating cooling fan noise as a con, so it looks like there are at least some units with problems. Pros listed are large storage capacity, ease of use, good power consumption if low standby power is used, cons are pq isn't as good using Scart vs HDMI and layout of remote (as well as the fan issue), final score is 79% compared to 82% for the Humax HDR.

Having owned the Humax until it was replaced with the Grundig I would like to share my opinions-
    The Grundig cooling fan on my unit is no louder than the Humax was.
    PQ is a big improvement over the Humax.
    Once used to the Grundig RC it is a joy to use.
    It also deletes recordings quickly.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    bramble wrote: »

Cons
    • No usable USB

So is there any way to get a recording from the hard disk onto a DVD? Presumably I could play it out of one of the scarts into a DVD recorder?

Any way of doing it digitally?

Cheers,

I.
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ipl wrote: »
    So is there any way to get a recording from the hard disk onto a DVD? Presumably I could play it out of one of the scarts into a DVD recorder?

Any way of doing it digitally?

Cheers,

I.
    The Foxsat-HDR has a USB connection which I used occasionally to copy recordings to my PC where I could tidy them up with Videoredo.

The Goodmans does not have a USB for exporting digital recordings and I don't believe its USB port will be enabled for that purpose. The Goodmans is just a good functional PVR without any pretensions and it does that job very well.

(Since switching to the Goodmans I record directly on my PC from a TV card.)

I imagine you could record through a scart but I don't think that would give you digital quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The Foxsat-HDR has a USB connection which I used occasionally to copy recordings to my PC where I could tidy them up with Videoredo.

The Goodmans does not have a USB for exporting digital recordings and I don't believe its USB port will be enabled for that purpose. The Goodmans is just a good functional PVR without any pretensions and it does that job very well.

(Since switching to the Goodmans I record directly on my PC from a TV card.)

I imagine you could record through a scart but I don't think that would give you digital quality.

Thanks for that.

Yes, I knew about the humax; and that's making me lean towards opting for that over the grundig/goodmans.

Yes, I'm sure the quality would suffer going via SCART. I mostly want this feature to give a disc to friends/family who have failed to record something, so I'd take the view that beggars can't be choosers! I think the USB on the humax would make life easier though.

Cheers,

Ian.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just ordered one (Item 500Gb HD Freesat recorder GFSDTR500HD) from very.co.uk (part of Littlewoods) whom I've never used before. I don't think they've got the greatest reputation. However I certainly seem to have got a good deal.

It's badged as Goodmans rather than Grundig. Asking price was £219 (seems very cheap), then used a 10% discount code for it being my first order, then another code for free delivery! Final price for what's promised to be delivery on Friday is £197.10.

It sounds too good to be true so I'll be keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed.:)

I'll let you know how I find it compares to the Humax HDR.

Is the Goodmans GFSDTR500HD the same box as the Grundig GUFSDTR500, just re-badged then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Is the Goodmans GFSDTR500HD the same box as the Grundig GUFSDTR500, just re-badged then?

So far as I know yes, reinforced by the two user guides:

Goodmans

http://www.goodmansdigital.co.uk/downloads/GFSDTR500HD_IM.pdf

Grundig

http://www.grundigdigital.co.uk/downloads/GUFSDTR500HD_IM.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Goodmans version from http://www.very.co.uk

Cost £201 inc P&P with the 10% first order discount.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Returned my GFSDTR320HD back as it was losing picture and audio twice a week requiring a power reset. Managed to get the GFSDTR500HD as a replacement as it had came down to the price I paid for the 320GB :D

One little bug I am having is, if I am on the TV tuner and turn on the PVR, (HDMI 1) the TV does not detect the PVR and auto switch. If there something I am missing? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Goodmans version from http://www.very.co.uk

Cost £201 inc P&P with the 10% first order discount.

Well I got it. What a disaster. I set things to record, they either don't start, start but name themselves as the previous programme, or they never stop recording.

My final two recordings last night were still going strong this morning 12 and 13 hours later. The only way to stop them was to set another recording and then a box came up with options allowing me to stop the recordings.

Going to be a long day on the phone to Goodmans I think.

Can anyone with one of these boxes have a look which software version they're using. Menu-->system info

I'm on version 1.4.1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got it. What a disaster. I set things to record, they either don't start, start but name themselves as the previous programme, or they never stop recording.

My final two recordings last night were still going strong this morning 12 and 13 hours later. The only way to stop them was to set another recording and then a box came up with options allowing me to stop the recordings.

Can anyone with one of these boxes have a look which software version they're using. Menu-->system info

I'm on version 1.4.1
    I'm really sorry to hear that yours is not working.

It must be a faulty unit as mine has never had any problems with recordings. They consistently start and finish when they should and are named correctly - even recording from the live buffer works and gets named correctly. In fact recently I (foolishly) switched off the power while it was recording. Although the recording prior to cutting the power was not usable, it resumed recording from power on and stopped at the correct time.

Since mine works fine, it must be a problem with your unit - maybe the internal clock as the firmware works from my experience? I hope you will get it sorted out soon and I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear that yours is not working.

It must be a faulty unit as mine has never had any problems with recordings. They consistently start and finish when they should and are named correctly - even recording from the live buffer works and gets named correctly. In fact recently I (foolishly) switched off the power while it was recording. Although the recording prior to cutting the power was not usable, it resumed recording from power on and stopped at the correct time.

Since mine works fine, it must be a problem with your unit - maybe the internal clock as the firmware works from my experience? I hope you will get it sorted out soon and I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience.

Is your software version 1.4.1?

I've just been on the phone to them and they said they are aware of the problem and there is going to be an over the air software update to fix the problem before the end of the month.

Maybe yours has the latest software and mine doesn't? Maybe Goodmans are just fobbing me off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your software version 1.4.1?

I've just been on the phone to them and they said they are aware of the problem and there is going to be an over the air software update to fix the problem before the end of the month.

Maybe yours has the latest software and mine doesn't? Maybe Goodmans are just fobbing me off?

Just checked. Yes, 1.4.1.

I suppose it's possible that the upgrade for iPlayer (due soon?) may include some fixes, but your problems sound rather more fundamental than that.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced these problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked. Yes, 1.4.1.

I suppose it's possible that the upgrade for iPlayer (due soon?) may include some fixes, but your problems sound rather more fundamental than that.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced these problems.

I was looking last night on the net and it seems others have been suffering the same problems.

I just can't see it been only a software problem. I mean a company would have to be pretty bad to release software that was that bad. An hours testing by a 4 year old kid could find the faults.

I guess I'll just have to wait for this new software. I've got a customer support reference number so if it doesn't get fixed I'll be phoning them again next month.

The bloke on the phone did seem genuine when he said it was a known problem with the software, but if your box is running the same version it doesn't seem like it is.

Thanks for the info.
    Forum Member
    Iplayer firmware upgrade now due 30th March :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acppca27 wrote: »
    Iplayer firmware upgrade now due 30th March :D

Wonder if there will be anything in the new firmware to fix my problems?

Here's hoping.
    Forum Member
    My Goodman's box is at firmware version 1.4.1.

Checked the DTG website yesterday and Harvard was transmitting 1.8.1 firmware. Tried to upgrade last night but it did not do anything?

Tried switching on my box this morning (6:30 ish) but it did not upgrade either. Checked the DTG website, Harvard are now transmitting 1.9.1 or 2.0.1.

:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Goodman's box is at firmware version 1.4.1.

Checked the DTG website yesterday and Harvard was transmitting 1.8.1 firmware. Tried to upgrade last night but it did not do anything?

Tried switching on my box this morning (6:30 ish) but it did not upgrade either. Checked the DTG website, Harvard are now transmitting 1.9.1 or 2.0.1.

:confused:

Yes same. There doesn't appear to be a way of forcing an upgrade. The only options are auto and manual, but nothing happens if you switch to manual.

Doesn't say which model numbers they're upgrading though. Just says HD Zappers: Bush / Goodmans / Grundig. Whatever that means?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes same. There doesn't appear to be a way of forcing an upgrade. The only options are auto and manual, but nothing happens if you switch to manual.

Doesn't say which model numbers they're upgrading though. Just says HD Zappers: Bush / Goodmans / Grundig. Whatever that means?

Probably the set top boxes without a hard drive, unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the set top boxes without a hard drive, unfortunately.

Oh marvellous.

What makes you think that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh marvellous.

What makes you think that?
    Well, I remember bob_cat of Humax suggesting on this forum long ago (I can't find it now) that "zapper" is industry slang for a basic set top box. A google search suggests the same.

When I enter the Mac address of my GFSDTR500HD into http://iplayer.goodmansdigital.co.uk/index.aspx it reports "You are now ready for BBC iPlayer."

In fact the network page has all the correct addresses showing (my GFSDTR500HD is connected using the same connection as I previously used successfully with the Foxsat-HDR iPlayer Beta). However, the Red Button shows no Iplayer option, 7001 just shows the "iPlayer is coming" page and 5483 (LIVE) doesn't work.

I don't know whether I'm now waiting for the BBC or Goodmans.:confused:
    Forum Member
    However, the Red Button shows no Iplayer option, 7001 just shows the "iPlayer is coming" page and 5483 (LIVE) doesn't work/QUOTE]

How do you get to 7001? Are you still at V1.4.1?

I switched on my box this evening and nothing, no updates:cry:

More waiting if you paid the extra money for the freesat+ boxes, very disappointed :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm on version 1.4.1

Well I phone Goodmans about the above problem. First time they said it's a software problem and there would be an update by the end of March. Phoned them back after not getting any update, they now say there is not going to be an update and it's not a software problem apparently.

Told me to send back to retailer and get a replacement as it was a faulty box. Got new box which has exactly the same problems. So looks like this one is going back too. Will take the refund this time and buy something that as nothing to do with Goodmans.

My advice would be steer well clear of this box. 2 out of 2 boxes with the same problems says there is something inherently wrong with them or at least the batch that very.co.uk have.
    Forum Member
    Just off the phone with Goodmans (10p/mins):cry:

Took my mac address and model number, the unit should update withn the next 24hrs, asked me to do a first time install. :rolleyes:

Has anyone successfully updated their box?

Goodmans says the update is for this box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Goodmans says the update is for this box

The DTR boxes are not zappers, so I wasn't expecting an update yet... and didn't get one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member

I'm on version 1.4.1
    same problem here spoke to grundig says unit must be faulty (said it wasnt a software problem):confused:may take another one or buy something else i just dont know what to do