Options

Sales of DVDs/Blu-Ray plunging

123457»

Comments

• Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never buy blu rays from supermarkets based on price alone!
    Why should I?
    when looking online I have more choice available and the prices are loads cheaper and to me are good value if you have the dvd and even the digital copy thrown in as well:D

As the price of blu ray players fall, then inevitably the sales of blu rays will rise as more and more people will own them:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved following this thread. :)
    she commented on double plays and how pointless they are, I never instigated the conversation, she did, I would guess a big proportion of Joe public feel the same especially when they see the prices of them.

I got a few blu-rays for the family over Xmas. Already they've come in handy for if one of the kids wants to watch a DVD upstairs, where there isn't a blu-ray player.

Personally I can't see how the extra copy can ever be seen as a bad thing, especially if you're being smart with where you buy from and how much you pay for it.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    I disagree.
    I think downloads pose no threat to the Bluray buying market at all.

Where downloads will change things is with rental.

That's what I meant, rental downloads from games consoles, networked TVs and PVRs from services like Lovefilm, Virgin Tivo and Sky HD, along with VOD services.
    PS downloads are more than the cost of a Bluray - by a long way in many cases.

Really? The most I've paid for a HD rental download was around £5 on Xbox Live. Sure, the bitrate will be nowhere near Blu Ray, but for a lot of people, the quality will be 'good enough'.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    That's what I meant, rental downloads from games consoles, networked TVs and PVRs from services like Lovefilm, Virgin Tivo and Sky HD, along with VOD services.

Really? The most I've paid for a HD rental download was around £5 on Xbox Live.

In my experience the HD downloads are nowhere near the quality of a blu ray disc. I downloaded a film from iTunes in HD a few days ago and I was really disappointed with the quality. The PQ wasn't even as good as the same movie shown on Sky HD, let alone blu ray PQ. The AQ was supposed to be 5.1 DD (not as good as blu ray) but it was inferior to regular 5.1 DD soundtracks. The movie I bought was £8. The blu ray was £9.09. I've now ordered the blu ray after my disappointing download purchase. Personally I'd rather pay the few extra pounds and get the blu ray.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    In my experience the HD downloads are nowhere near the quality of a blu ray disc. I downloaded a film from iTunes in HD a few days ago and I was really disappointed with the quality.

Of course not, the bitrate for Blu Ray (or broadcast HD) will always beat a HD (rental) download.

But a HD download for a lot of people, will be more convenient (especially for impulse buyers) and as I've said, the quality will be good enough.

Look at MP3, not the best audio codec for quality, but by far the most popular because for a lot of people, the quality delivered is 'good enough'. I mean, look at the success of Netflix in the States, not exactly suffering from sub-par Blu Ray birates, are they?

As for 5.1 surround, I can't speak for iTunes (don't use it), but the last time I used the Xbox Live Video Marketplace, a few HD movies had 5.1 sound. I imagine its the same for the services on the PS3.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Asda have a selection of Blu Rays for £10 and under in their sale.
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »

Really? The most I've paid for a HD rental download was around £5 on Xbox Live. Sure, the bitrate will be nowhere near Blu Ray, but for a lot of people, the quality will be 'good enough'.

I was referring to downloads to BUY .
    These are dearer than Bluray discs but
    PS3 rentals for new HD movies are £4.49.

I pay Lovefilm £3.99 a month for 2 Blurays so thats still dearer but there is no incentive to buy a download over a disc at all
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the coming soon selection of titles the only double play titles are the obvious Disney ones and the family orientated big titles .
    This is how its been for sometime and is likely to continue.

Run of the mill releases of standard films don't ever have double /triple play and that does not appear to be changing so I'm not sure what Geordielady is whinging about anyway.

The number of double play titles compared to single disc titles is very small anyway , so your worrying about nothing and the argument about prices being too high because of the inclusion of a dvd is wrong because it applies to so few releases anyway.

It may have seemed like there was more in the run up to Xmas where the family and big budget releases are always crowded together.

Bluray/dvd combos for the whole of January:

The Switch
    Duffer(BFI)
    Equinox (BFI)
    Private Road (BFI)
    The Town
    Bambi
    Wall Street 2

The BFI titles are their typical release packs with a Bluray and a dvd and these are not available on dvd only .

So discarding the obscurities of the BFI that makes 4 releases .
    Not that many out of the dozens of titles being released
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the supposed experts and public who wittle on and on and bloody on about Blu Ray is dead we're gonna download everything obviously dont live in the same country the rest of us do.

Its called Britain, average 2 meg download (thats if you actually live where you can get it) , 40gig limit at anything around the £15-£30 a month price range (dont start e-mailing yours is cheaper its general.

The average Blu Ray without (HD) DTS Dolby or extras is 8gig, can you imagine the internet infrastructure in this country coping with us all doing that?

Thought not.

It wont happen until we have countrywide fibre and no download limits, oh and then of course there is the cost.

As BT said "you can have any speed you want, but it will cost you"

Wake up people.