Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding I am rarely if ever hungry, it depends what you use your calories for I think.

I am finding less carbs makes me less hungry fill up on veg and protein.

Only days I have been hungry were when I ate potatoes, and one day I slipped and had a chocolate (really should hav esaid no thank you). Both in small quantities are huge amounts of calories, So you get hungry really fast.

Now I look at foods and ask myself if the calories are worth it.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm finding I am rarely if ever hungry, it depends what you use your calories for I think.

I am finding less carbs makes me less hungry fill up on veg and protein.

Only days I have been hungry were when I ate potatoes, and one day I slipped and had a chocolate (really should hav esaid no thank you). Both in small quantities are huge amounts of calories, So you get hungry really fast.

Now I look at foods and ask myself if the calories are worth it.

I'm having a very similar experience to Molliepops.

I'm restricting myself via calories, and don't feel particularly deprived. However, I am on a slow diet, so I'm not cutting calories to the bone. (see weigh-in result lower down).

I do eat chocolate, but only a square or two. For the bars I buy, a square is 37kcal, which does not bust my diet.

What is happening now is that I'm deferring things. E.g. I've found a new type of McCains chips which are said to be '5% fat', and have even fewer calories per 100g frozen weight than the homefries I was eating. But I'm still to see if they're any good as I haven't yet had a calorie window open up. But I will have them.

Another problem is leftovers. Pre-diet, I seemed to be the go-to person in the house who would eat food so that it wouldn't go to waste, and I've had to stop that. But now there are plastic boxes of left-overs in the fridge and the freezer, which I have to address. Half my breakfast this morning was leftover shepherd's pie, and I'm probably going to use some leftover stew as a side dish this evening. And there's still other stuff in the freezer.

However, the over-all restriction does mean that I have to make some calorie-inspired choices Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary sausages (64kcal each) tonight if I'm going to have the chips AND the stew as well.

Anyhow, weigh-in. Today's weight: 81kg. That's down from 81.5kg last week, a loss of 500g. Initial target and single blow-out day: 80kg, eventual target: 77kg. So as for the last few weeks, I've lost 1/2 a kg.

In pounds, Today's weight: 12st 10.57lbs. Last week: 12st 11.67lbs. That's a loss of 1.103 pounds. Or, as I've been saying for weeks, I've lost just over a pound. Initial target and single blow-out day: 12st 8.37lbs, eventual target: 12st 1.756lbs.

I'm wondering if it's getting rather boring for me to have lost just over a pound every week, and I should only post on weigh-in day if anything different happens?

Edit: Diet water? http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/24292_10152497360445577_573727196_n.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had my weigh in at WW last night and lost 1.5lb.
    It was less than I hoped for in my first week but I'm happy it's a step in the right direction.
    I'm finding it easy to stick to and feel much better eating healthy food and being in control of my eating.
    Need to up my exercise but struggling as I seem to get really sore and achy.
    I've been looking at getting the kettlercise DVD but its quite expensive.
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Had my weigh in at WW last night and lost 1.5lb.
    It was less than I hoped for in my first week but I'm happy it's a step in the right direction.
    I'm finding it easy to stick to and feel much better eating healthy food and being in control of my eating.
    Need to up my exercise but struggling as I seem to get really sore and achy.
    I've been looking at getting the kettlercise DVD but its quite expensive.

Congratulations on your loss, It took me a few weeks before I lost anything at all.

I'm having to moderate my trips to the gym as I get a bit achy too.
  • OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, well done on your weight loss. Weighed myself this morning, and am the lightest in 10 years. Down to 114.1 kg, only another 15 kg to go before I get under my target weight of 100 kg. Been promised if I can get below 100 kg before New Year 2014, my family will pay for me to take a flight. Never been in a plane before, so it's something I want to be able to say I did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ocado wrote: »
    Yes, well done on your weight loss. Weighed myself this morning, and am the lightest in 10 years. Down to 114.1 kg, only another 15 kg to go before I get under my target weight of 100 kg. Been promised if I can get below 100 kg before New Year 2014, my family will pay for me to take a flight. Never been in a plane before, so it's something I want to be able to say I did.

That's a great added incentive for you. Your family obviously really love you and want to help you get healthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Height and amount you move around makes a huge difference I think to what you need to eat. I am not very tall and with my MS cannot always walk far, so have to restrict my calories more. Even when I am at astage where I want to maintain my weight I may not be able to eat as much as some other people.
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    That's where you're different from me and molliepops (maybe the gender makes the difference). She appears to be eating around 1000 cals a day for the same level of weightloss as you're getting from 1700. That's what I'd have to do to (or less as I'm not moving much at the moment) and I'd really struggle.

Which website did you use to work out your calorie intake in the end?

Yes. I feel guilty somewhat that my gender and height (even at only medium tall level) does make it easier for me to control weight than other people, and basically eat more. I'm also fairly active, which helps as well.

I can't remember which web sites I used, and I think I checked a number. Personally I think the web sites are a good starting point to get an approximate number to start with. But then trial and error will reveal whether that starting point number needs to be adjusted up or down.

If I recall correctly, I first went for 2000kcal/day, but it was pointed out on here that was rather high, and when I didn't lose weight at first, I adjusted that down to 1800kcal. Now I've gone done to 1700kcal, but that's because I'm starting to think that having a target of 1700kcal is a more accurate way of eating 1800kcal a day than actually aiming at 1800kcal. E.g. tasting other people's food while I'm cooking it, and the occasional sneak small treat.

I haven't carefully looked up the figures, but this site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/440237-calorie-requirements-for-men-women/ seems to suggest that men will burn through about 400kcal more per day than women. And that's quite a big difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not frustrating, it is what it is, that would be like being frustrated I am allergic to raw fruit and veg, it is what it is, I just get on with life as it's presented to me.

Frustrating was failed pregnancies earlier in life - had a lot to offer a child but not having them. That was something to be frustrated about.
    Forum Member
    Congrats to you for your very positive attitude Mollie. We're all dealt the hand we were dealt, and it's up to us to get on with life and make the best of what we have.
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really struggling at the moment. I have cut out chocolate and biscuits but sometimes replace them with other nice things. I feel really fat (although I know I'm not). I only need to lose 5ibs but its just not happening 😢
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's easier to lose a lot than a little I think. If you are close to target could you increase exercise perhaps ?
  • lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well after a couple of weeks of staying the same and feeling very demotivated, my weight now seems to be moving in the right direction :)

I have lost 11 llbs since 9th Jan- long may it continue!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes it's easier to lose a lot than a little I think. If you are close to target could you increase exercise perhaps ?

I have has a lot of back and knee problems and have been seeing a chiropractor so I stopped the gym while I was sorting that out. Went back this week, just a 30 min session And I am going to be going twice a week for 30 mins to start with. I walk 4 miles a day. I will also be starting Pilates soon.

I know my eating habits aren't great and I really need to sort them too. Just struggling a bit.

Need to get this sorted though cos I want to feel better about myself and I worked so hard to lose weight initially (lost 3 stone 4 ibs but have put 5/6 ibs back on) and to get to a size 10. I don't want to go back to before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people find reducing carbs a little helps or toning exercise so you don't notice the couple of extra pounds so much.

Hope you can get it sorted as it must be worrying - maintainance is harder than losing from what others tell me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maintenance is fed harder. I stayed at 9 stone 7 for about a year. Then the past year and a few months I have been 9 stone 12/13 and can't get back down to 9 and a half!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read that to lose 1-2 pounds a week consistently, you need to lose 1'000 calories a day in excercise. In simple terms, how much and what kind of excercise is this?
    Forum Member
    Can I give my personal welcome to BeccyJane and congratulations to Lulu.

I'm not sure what maintenance is going to be like, and it's going to be a whole new ballgame. I have never 'maintained' in my life. When young I was really skinny. Over decades I slowly put on weight. I have dieted before and lost weight, but then I just went back to the slow gains again.

This time I'm very firm in my intentions to maintain in some sort of way. Though at present I'm thinking of having an acceptable weight range (say between 77kg and 80kg), and simply reverting to my current diet when I get to 80kg, and then not dieting when I'm at 77kg. That's about 7lbs range. Would that be too big a range and effectively be yo-yo dieting? Though, I consider some of my changes now to be permanent, and don't want to go back to excessive inter-meal snacking and obligatory leftover consumption again, even when I'm not dieting.

I'm wondering about starting a separate thread on 'how do you maintain weight post-diet'. A separate thread because those who are successful maintainers and can share their stories may not be reading this thread. It probably wouldn't last long as a thread, so wouldn't detract from this thread too much, I think. Any opinions/comments?
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »
    I've read that to lose 1-2 pounds a week consistently, you need to lose 1'000 calories a day in excercise. In simple terms, how much and what kind of excercise is this?

If the machines at my gym give accurate calorie readings, then that's an awful lot. I can lose about 300kcal (machine readout) by doing moderate exercise for about half an hour. At one point I was using the rowing machine at a 660kcal/hour rate, but that was overdoing it and I had to stop to let muscular pains subside. But 1000 kcal a day? That would be huge amounts of exercise every day.

I'm not sure that I believe the claim that you need to do so much exercise in order to lose weight. I'm currently (touch wood) losing one pound a week, and I'm doing much, much, less exercise than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    If the machines at my gym give accurate calorie readings, then that's an awful lot. I can lose about 300kcal (machine readout) by doing moderate exercise for about half an hour. At one point I was using the rowing machine at a 660kcal/hour rate, but that was overdoing it and I had to stop to let muscular pains subside. But 1000 kcal a day? That would be huge amounts of exercise every day.

I'm not sure that I believe the claim that you need to do so much exercise in order to lose weight. I'm currently (touch wood) losing one pound a week, and I'm doing much, much, less exercise than that.

Okay thanks. :) What is the diet:excercise ratio, then? I want to aim for eating 2000 calories a day (bearing in mind I am six stone overweight :eek:) - how much excercise should I do in order to keep 2 pounds a week consistently falling off?
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weighed myself today...lost nothing. That's been following a calorie restricted diet and then moving to the 5:2 diet for the past week.

Obviosuly there have been days at the weekend where I have eaten more but have tried not to overdo it.

The most annoying thing is, my weight doesn't seem to be fluctuating up or down. It's always the same bl***dy number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Can I give my personal welcome to BeccyJane and congratulations to Lulu.

I'm not sure what maintenance is going to be like, and it's going to be a whole new ballgame. I have never 'maintained' in my life. When young I was really skinny. Over decades I slowly put on weight. I have dieted before and lost weight, but then I just went back to the slow gains again.

This time I'm very firm in my intentions to maintain in some sort of way. Though at present I'm thinking of having an acceptable weight range (say between 77kg and 80kg), and simply reverting to my current diet when I get to 80kg, and then not dieting when I'm at 77kg. That's about 7lbs range. Would that be too big a range and effectively be yo-yo dieting? Though, I consider some of my changes now to be permanent, and don't want to go back to excessive inter-meal snacking and obligatory leftover consumption again, even when I'm not dieting.

I'm wondering about starting a separate thread on 'how do you maintain weight post-diet'. A separate thread because those who are successful maintainers and can share their stories may not be reading this thread. It probably wouldn't last long as a thread, so wouldn't detract from this thread too much, I think. Any opinions/comments?

Sounds like a good idea, I would not be interested yet but when I do get to that stage would love to join you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks. :) What is the diet:excercise ratio, then? I want to aim for eating 2000 calories a day (bearing in mind I am six stone overweight :eek:) - how much excercise should I do in order to keep 2 pounds a week consistently falling off?

2000 calories is a lot of calories, can you not cut down a bit from that figure ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2000 calories is a lot of calories, can you not cut down a bit from that figure ?

My understanding is that a healthy weight/diet consists of between 2000-2500 calories a day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that a healthy weight/diet consists of between 2000-2500 calories a day?

You want to lose weight though and that isn't happening on those figure so you need to eat less calories, most people on diets go down to between 1200 to 1600 exceptional cases some lose on 1800, all depends on amount of exercise you do.