Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
Forum Member
Kicking off the thread for the 1979 repeats.

Starts with...

3rd Jan, 9pm - The Story Of 1979
3rd Jan, 10pm - 1979: The Big Hits
9th Jan, 7:30pm - Top Of The Pops

Discussion, commentary, trivia, observations and having a bit of a laugh. New threadmates welcome.

In the meantime...

Peter Paphides asks, should Top Of The Pops come back?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/dec/26/top-of-the-pops-50-bbc-bring-it-back

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to 1979! :)

Friday, 3rd January, 2014 at 9pm on BBC4 starts off one of the best years in UK pop music history with "Top Of The Pops: The Story Of 1979" as the appetizer for the coming year of TOTP from 1979 almost every week on BBC4.

Followed on the same night at 10pm by "1979 - Big Hits"

The first edition of TOTP 1979 is on BBC4 at 7.30pm on Thursday, 9th January, 2014 with the edition originally aired on Thursday, 4th January, 1979 presented by Mike Read.

Let's hope TOTP 1979 is every bit as successful and enjoyable 1978 as was. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Sorry Rich, A 'LittleGirlOf7' has outfoxed you!
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1924174

And you'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids...
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Which thread are we gonna use - this one or the other one? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So which thread are we gonna use? :confused:
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the other one was first I suggest that one.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this one was posted first I suggest this one.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest we use this one. Considering Rich Tea is one of the most well known posters :) and you started the 1978 one too, it only seems right you should start this one haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suggest we use this one. Considering Rich Tea is one of the most well known posters :) and you started the 1978 one too, it only seems right you should start this one haha

Oh well it seems like both of them are on the go! Just like buses - they all come along at once! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, for us that like to record the episodes onto DVD like me and Ursulau, what channel will you record from? The BBC Four HD channel that is better picture quality but has black bars on the side, or the standard BBC Four that is worse picture quality but fills the screen? I'm undecided as to what one to record from :confused:
  • Options
    Paul M CPaul M C Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, for us that like to record the episodes onto DVD like me and Ursulau, what channel will you record from? The BBC Four HD channel that is better picture quality but has black bars on the side, or the standard BBC Four that is worse picture quality but fills the screen? I'm undecided as to what one to record from :confused:

BBC4 SD displays the TOTP repeats exactly as they should be - in a 4:3 ratio (so black bars left and right)....always has done for me....not sure why yours is displaying this stretched/cropped?

It's worth remembering that of course, all the current BBC4 TOTP repeats were originally recorded in SD and whilst there may be some gain on BBC4 HD, it's doubtful if you would see a dramatic improvement over picture quality....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul M C wrote: »
    BBC4 SD displays the TOTP repeats exactly as they should be - in a 4:3 ratio (so black bars left and right)....always has done for me....not sure why yours is displaying this stretched/cropped?

It's worth remembering that of course, all the current BBC4 TOTP repeats were originally recorded in SD and whilst there may be some gain on BBC4 HD, it's doubtful if you would see a dramatic improvement over picture quality....

Well mine has always been stretched on sky. It's because my tv isn't set to 4:3 mode. But the dvds I have made I have a choice of viewing in either 4:3 or full screen. If you record on BBC Four HD there will no longer be a choice, you have to view it in 4:3 and it cannot be viewed in full screen. Because of this I will probably stick to BBC Four SD. And as you say, there is not much of a dramatic improvement on HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mine has the black strips down the side - I don't know if I get the HD channel - unless I haven't found it yet! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Which thread are we gonna use - this one or the other one? :confused:

Well obviously I'd suggest this one.

As this one was posted first I suggest this one.

What he said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to LittleGirlOf7 for not noticing she also inaugurated the new year TOTP 1979 thread just a few hours before me. It shows how keen we are and the popularity of it. May the strongest thread survive, and it seems this one has attracted the most entries so far, although they may end up merged by DS anyway.

At least we have a 1979 to talk about and watch, and that is the main thing. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seeing as there are now two threads for Top Of The Pops 1979 I guess it's up to either the mods or the posters to decide which carries on.

This one was set up first though, so y'know...wink wink.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking foward to watching these regularly as I missed a lot of the 1978 episodes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the absence of my having a recordable DVD in time for the start of the 1979 showings, I know someone here mentioned a way of downloading them without the digital rights management nonsense. Was it true that if you download the actual BBC iPlayer software that they allow you to keep the shows permanent, or did I imagine that?

I meant to get back to you didn't I Tele Addict, but to be honest I thought it would be taking up far too much of your time and taking a bit of a liberty, even if I provided the DVD's and paid you something, to ask you to record me some TOTP 1977's and 78's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm looking foward to watching these regularly as I missed a lot of the 1978 episodes

There'll be just over 30 editions spread over the year as Savile & DLT presented editions are off the table (although, depending on what happens in court, DLT editions may be reinstated). Obviously some performances won't be aired because of that but some have multiple appearances or replays on other editions.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blimey i never expected the reruns to last when they started that easter in 2011 :D
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant wait!1979 was such a good year for music:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    blimey i never expected the reruns to last when they started that easter in 2011 :D

Well I'm going to enjoy them for as long as they last. Been waiting for a particular edition since the re-runs started, so I'm going be extra excited when it comes along.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Yes, really looking forward to '79 revisited - plenty of stuff to talk about.

As for the dual thread conundrum, it doesn't really matter who started it, we're all here for the same reason. I think the mods ought to merge the threads sooner rather than later, preferably before next friday?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Can't believe the reruns are now into its fourth year, 1979 and hopefully beyond will have been worth the wait. :)
This discussion has been closed.