Are Southampton players worth that much?

feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Southampton are set to rake in £104m by selling 5 players plus a further £6m for Pochettino and his staff. That's £113m in total.

Shaw................Cost to Southampton....£0 ...........Sold to .Man U for................................£30m
Lallana.............Cost to Southampton....£6m.........Sold to Liverpool for............................£25m
Lambert...........Cost to Southampton....£1m..........Sold to Liverpool for...............................£4m
Lovren..............Cost to Southampton....£8.5m.....Joining Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/?...£25m
Schneiderlin....Cost to Southampton....£1.2m.....Joining Arsenal/Spurs/Napoli?..........£20m

That's half their team gone. If Lovren goes to Liverpool they would have bought 3 Saints players. Has that ever happened before in the EPL, buying 3 players from 1 club in the same transfer window?
It is going to be very interesting to see if Southampton can sell that many players and replace with cheaper imports/academy players and finish in the top half of the EPL next season. Have they made a big mistake or is it good business?

Comments

• OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I for one am very interested to see how they manage next season. Could easily see them caught in a relegation battle, regardless of who they bring in they are going to have to integrate a lot of new players.

Selling so many players in one window is not a good idea IMO, my main reason for thinking this is what I've written above.

I think they have received some very high fees for their players, when you consider that Ben Davies is probably going to Tottenham for £10m and Shaw went to United for £27m. I am not saying Davies is necessarily as good as Shaw but no way is Shaw worth an extra 17m to me.

Will be interesting also to see how much money from the sales gets put into the transfer kitty, Saints are my second team and I am very concerned for them right now.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Southampton are set to rake in £104m by selling 5 players plus a further £6m for Pochettino and his staff. That's £113m in total.

Shaw................Cost to Southampton....£0 ...........Sold to .Man U for................................£30m
    Lallana.............Cost to Southampton....£6m.........Sold to Liverpool for............................£25m
    Lambert...........Cost to Southampton....£1m..........Sold to Liverpool for...............................£4m
    Lovren..............Cost to Southampton....£8.5m.....Joining Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/?...£25m
    Schneiderlin....Cost to Southampton....£1.2m.....Joining Arsenal/Spurs/Napoli?..........£20m

That's half their team gone. If Lovren goes to Liverpool they would have bought 3 Saints players. Has that ever happened before in the EPL, buying 3 players from 1 club in the same transfer window?
    It is going to be very interesting to see if Southampton can sell that many players and replace with cheaper imports/academy players and finish in the top half of the EPL next season. Have they made a big mistake or is it good business?

They'll get £19m for Lallana as they had to give Bournemouth £6m as part of the sale to them.

On the subject of 3 signings - Pompey did when they were in the Premier League, they bought Mendes, Davies and Pamerot from Spurs during a Jan window.
  • richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Looking on the bright side, they will be one of the richest clubs in the 'Championship' next season. :)
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    They'll get £19m for Lallana as they had to give Bournemouth £6m as part of the sale to them.

On the subject of 3 signings - Pompey did when they were in the Premier League, they bought Mendes, Davies and Pamerot from Spurs during a Jan window.

Cheers for that, I didn't know about the 3 Pompey deals.
    Yeah, I knew about Bournemouth getting 25% thats why I put Lallana cost Southampton £6m. I think there will be the usual 10 teams fighting for relegation next season including Southampton this time.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Southampton will struggle next season have flogged far too many of their players.

They may be rich but they will struggle.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Southampton need a miracle to finish mid table, unless they buy a 30 goals a season striker
  • naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£110m Surely, not £113.

But yeah, the players are worth it, to Southampton at least. It seems like every year, one TV deal or another is paying the clubs more money. This just means there is always going to be more money in the pot, with the same number of players available.

I have no doubt that they won't all be successful at their new club. Hopefully Shaw will kick on and become one of England's greatest, while anyone who joins Liverpool or Arsenal will turn into an embarrassment. But maybe I'm biased.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long term the sales should ensure Southampton's existence. The sort of money they being offered is once in life time deals. Even keeping those players they would still be under the cloud of possible relegation and then you could have snapped up all those players for 30m

Next season don't matter it's the next 10 20 30 seasons and the sort of money they bought in means they don't have to worry about the future of the club so much
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southampton have hit he jackpot with the 110 million cask injection they have received.

They are a team that will never win the prem league, so all the fans want is to continue their run in the top league and this money should, if they don't do a spurs and waste it, see them cement their place for the next five years.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    The Shaw fee is all about his potential - same with Lallana although he is in his mid-20s I think.

At least Saints have the money now so can re-build their squad before the season starts rather than losing key players in August like so many clubs do.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    richparr wrote: »
    Looking on the bright side, they will be one of the richest clubs in the 'Championship' next season. :)

Next season they'll be in the PL.
    Forum Member
    It's pretty unprecedented what they have done, I can only see relegation as a result.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be gutted as a Southampton fan shirt term at least, they are gonna loose there spine of the team.

Out if the players going its Lambert tgat has surprised me, He has signed for Liverpool, but even if they sell Suarez, they are likely to be another striker, Lambert will be a sub player, which could blow England chances
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    At least Koeman has a mountain of cash to build his own team, which is what new managers usually want to do.
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    At least Koeman has a mountain of cash to build his own team, which is what new managers usually want to do.

They don't normally like to do it having just lost nearly all their best players though. With Rodriguez injured as well they are going to start the season with possibly their best 5 players gone.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are Soton players worth what they are likely to be traded at? Yes if that's what the market demands, that they have a bunch of British players has contributed to this - expect more of the same for Jay Rodriguez, Nat Clyne, Sam Gallagher and a few others in the next couple of seasons.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They will struggle to find decent replacements.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It saddens me to see the Southampton squad being picked apart like carrion by the bigger teams. What chance of a smaller team (like Derby under Clough) ever winning the Premier League when this is what happens when they produce a talented group of young players?
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they could tell players to see out their contracts but in truth that era is over.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Blue half of Hampshire will be very happy if they get relegated lol.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Well they could tell players to see out their contracts but in truth that era is over.

TBH They'd rather pick up the inflated fee for these stars rather than lost anyone for free.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    It saddens me to see the Southampton squad being picked apart like carrion by the bigger teams. What chance of a smaller team (like Derby under Clough) ever winning the Premier League when this is what happens when they produce a talented group of young players?

There is zero chance of it happening anyway. Or are you suggesting that Southampton could have won the PL eventually?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    naquada wrote: »
    £110m Surely, not £113.

But yeah, the players are worth it, to Southampton at least. It seems like every year, one TV deal or another is paying the clubs more money. This just means there is always going to be more money in the pot, with the same number of players available.

I have no doubt that they won't all be successful at their new club. Hopefully Shaw will kick on and become one of England's greatest, while anyone who joins Liverpool or Arsenal will turn into an embarrassment. But maybe I'm biased.

Why specifically those clubs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

Bar Lambert, which is still good business for Southampton won't be challenging for anything , the other two players have been sold over value, so I would say its a win for them. The club also has a good academy as is good at buying players so I suspect they won't be fighting against relegation next season.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not one has/will be sold for their accurate value. So, no. They're not worth that much.

Southampton have done well to secure such great deals, and the investment is a bonus. But they can't replace the team cohesion between the four longer serving players, with new additions. As for the quality of players they can expect to attract, factoring in: The loss of significant players, new manager and club stature is difficult to say. They may very well struggle, if players decide if their potential to grow has been diminished by the loss of recent players.

I think they'll finish about 13th, if they now stop hemorrhaging players.