On Demand Services On Freeview?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
Forum Member
In the future will on demand services such as 4OD from Channel4 which is currently available through Virgin Media & online be available on Freeview?

Comments

• wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    NO ... Freeview is a DTT broadcasting service.

Could become available via one of the Hybrid DTT/IPTV services.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think on demand services can ever be supplied on Freeview itself as it's a one-way universal broadcast system with very limited bandwidth. The closest things are the +1 channels.

However, a combination of Freeview and something else, such as Freesat and/or TV over the Internet, could perhaps provide on demand services.

Doubtless a herd of experts will pounce on me immediately if I'm wrong.

John
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like above VoD is not possible, Well atleast not true VoD anyway.

Maybe Programmes can start every 15 minutes. Like on Sky. Even then Where's the B/W for that coming from?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrote: »
    Like above VoD is not possible, Well atleast not true VoD anyway.

Even then Where's the B/W for that coming from?

4oD could use More4 downtime (2am-9am) or Film4 downtime (4am-1pm) :D
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    4oD could use More4 downtime (2am-9am) or Film4 downtime (4am-1pm) :D

the only way to get 4oD on Freeview is if ya go to your local ASDA and buy a Freeview box with hard drive :D
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to that BBCi selector they were testing on 301/302 a while back?...
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to that BBCi selector they were testing on 301/302 a while back?...

not gonna happen, the space is gonna get used for bbc hd next year
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right. :)
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Space MAY be used; nothing is certain. Although the BBC has a proposal for an overnight HD service, it first requires approval both from Ofcom and the BBC Trust.

Neither is a foregone conclusion.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    On Demand.
    There is currently room for about 30 video streams on freeview.
    If ALL were to be used for On Demand (leaving NONE for normal channels), that means that it could simultaneously satisfy programme requests for a maximum of 30 users per main transmitter. (Actually the way regions work it is more accurately about 2 users per region plus 28 nationally identical streams).
    So depending how you look at it, that's about 500 maximum simultaneous requests.
    The cost of running On Demand for so few without the advertising revenue from the other millions would make this a non-starter.
    And the only way of deciding whose programme choice to transmit (broadcast, but probably scrambled, directed to limited recipients) would be who pays the most. Charge too much and nobody would use it, too little and be swamped with unfulfillable requests.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    There is a new Freeview OD service starting later this year. I don't know if existing boxes would be compatible though.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BBC+ thing, is that whats starting later? ive heard nothing about this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBCi Catch-Up TV details were available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/catchuptvtrial/ until the trtrial finished recently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

I know it sounds odd but I'm not allowed to talk about it, I'm under NDA:(