Ferguson too 'distraught' to face media

Comments

• Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    Exactly.
    Isn't making yourself available for interviews / media after the match compulsory under UEFA rules anyway?

Ferguson had no obligation to appear at press conference after the match, that's a bit of a football myth

United only had to send a representative, which is what they did with Phelan
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could have turned up, shown some grace and humility and said, whilst disagreeing with the sending off, he accepts that sometimes these things go against you.

He could have praised Real Madrid for a good perofrmance and his own team for their performance and said he can take positives from the match.

He'd never dream of acting in such a classy manner though.

Your obviously deeply upset that Fergie didnt turn up for interviews - its causing you a lot of distress I see.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many Ferguson threads do we need?

The cynic in me says this is another having a pop thread.

Too many have a pop at Fergie threads at the moment - its very sad.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe that match was the last 'big' game of his managerial career. I would have been distraught too.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that match was the last 'big' game of his managerial career. I would have been distraught too.

Why do you say that?:confused::confused:

I really don't get where all this talk of him retiring in the summer has come from to be honest.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really don't get where all this talk of him retiring in the summer has come from to be honest.

Wishful thinking?

Some redtop newspaper for 5 year olds said so

Mr "unnamed club source" said so

or more then likely it was on that font of all knowledge that is the social media
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is 'maybe' not in vocabulary?I haven't said anything about him retiring in the summer. He could still be manager for the next 3 years, and what would be the chances of us drawing a side like Barca or Real again? Those kind of nights aren't guaranteed every season just because you're in the CL.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is not as black and white as some say.

It is difficult to defend him for simply not turning up. By not doing so he makes himself fair game for criticism regardless of his feelings.

Had he turned up for interview and criticised the referee I am confident that most objective souls would have seen his point even if not all of them agreed.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 'maybe' not in vocabulary?I haven't said anything about him retiring in the summer. He could still be manager for the next 3 years, and what would be the chances of us drawing a side like Barca or Real again? Those kind of nights aren't guaranteed every season just because you're in the CL.

Well we faced Barca in two finals quite close together, (in 2009, and 2011), and now Real in 2013, so maybe not guaranteed every season, but those are still within your time frame.

It all depends on the draw really, (and of getting out of the groups of cours), we have been particularly fortunate not to have played Real for a number of years, who knows, we might play them next season as well, or we might not, but the possability is most of the time there though.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could have turned up, shown some grace and humility and said, whilst disagreeing with the sending off, he accepts that sometimes these things go against you.

He could have praised Real Madrid for a good perofrmance and his own team for their performance and said he can take positives from the match.

He'd never dream of acting in such a classy manner though.

Hang on a second, when has he ever done that after losing a game?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Typical of the crimson faced bad loser that he is I'm afraid. He's more amenable when things go HIS way. The minute they don't - the dummy is spat out and Phelan is wheeled out to speak to the press instead.

His antics last night after the sending off were an absolute and utter disgrace - shameful actually. How he was ever considered to be knighted is beyond me when you consider his behaviour most of the time.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest here, what poor sucker would have wanted to take that interview bullet?
    Forum Member
    Let's be honest here, what poor sucker would have wanted to take that interview bullet?

Gabriel Clarke, he's very good regardless of the situation
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the bloke 12 or something? It's a game of football mate. Worse things happen every second of the day around the world than a team getting knocked out of a football competion.

Grow up Ferguson you complete and utter clown.

It's a press conference mate. Worse things happen every second of the day around the world than someone not talking to some journalists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's a press conference mate. Worse things happen every second of the day around the world than someone not talking to some journalists.

Excellent point :D

Anyway it shows how much he cares still which I think is great, it's hardly like he hit someone like our class act of a manager :rolleyes:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many Ferguson threads do we need?

The cynic in me says this is another having a pop thread.

and why not? Your average football manager gets used to losing with grace.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he was happy to be interviewed at halftime....................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah. All the stuff happened in the second half.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Well yeah. All the stuff happened in the second half.

Yeah I know but halftime interviews aren't the norm
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Yeah I know but halftime interviews aren't the norm

They are in European games.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    It was weird yesterday at the press conference.

Ferguson was so upset he shaved all his hair off, forgot he was Scottish, and was calling himself "Mike"

I'm worried about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    and why not? Your average football manager gets used to losing with grace.

Sleep deprivations is not good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've misread the use of average there.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    Typical of the crimson faced bad loser that he is I'm afraid. He's more amenable when things go HIS way. The minute they don't - the dummy is spat out and Phelan is wheeled out to speak to the press instead.

His antics last night after the sending off were an absolute and utter disgrace - shameful actually. How he was ever considered to be knighted is beyond me when you consider his behaviour most of the time.

Hes more amenable when things go his way? Well that makes him unique doesnt it?

He was Knighted for being incredibly good at what he does.
    Forum Member
    Ferguson had no obligation to appear at press conference after the match, that's a bit of a football myth

United only had to send a representative, which is what they did with Phelan

UEFA charge Man United

I stand corrected :p