What is your opinion of all-boys and all-girls schools?

AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think they are a good or bad thing?

Did you go to one?

Personally I think they are unbalanced and leave young adults slightly unprepared to face the world when they leave school.

Comments

• fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I would find it difficult to comment not having a personal experience but I imagine there are some positives and negatives.

It must be difficult to be segregated from the opposite sex but on the other hand, it's probably less complicated.

Sorry, not much of an opinion that really is it?
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to a mixed primary but an all girls secondary.

Girls are horrible.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to an all girls school and I think I would have found boys to be distracting. I know girls can be disruptive, but I think boys tend to be worse.
    I think research shows (or at least it did when I was at school) that girls tend to do better in an all girls school, wheras boys tend to do better in a mixed school rather than all boys.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Did you go to one?

Personally I think they are unbalanced and leave young adults slightly unprepared to face the world when they leave school.

I went to a mixed primary school and all girls secondary school. I definitely wouldn't change that.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member
    I went to an all girls school and I think I would have found boys to be distracting. I know girls can be disruptive, but I think boys tend to be worse.
    I think research shows (or at least it did when I was at school) that girls tend to do better in an all girls school, wheras boys tend to do better in a mixed school rather than all boys.

I'm sure there are distractions in a mixed school (though there might be more focus on hot teachers) but it does help with social skills for the "real" world. Particularly for those who don't really have hobbies involving both sexes.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

Did you go to one?

i think it depends on the child and the school.

i think i would have done much better at a single sex school.

my first husband was a public school boy and boarding prep before and he`s proper ****ed up. though some of that`s due to the parental separation.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it depends on the child and the school.

i think i would have done much better at a single sex school.

my first husband was a public school boy and boarding prep before and he`s proper ****ed up. though some of that`s due to the parental separation.

What happened to him at school which you think has this effect?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    What happened to him at school which you think has this effect?

i think it was just the lack of family warmth and unit really, he`s a very cold fish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I'm sure there are distractions in a mixed school (though there might be more focus on hot teachers) but it does help with social skills for the "real" world. Particularly for those who don't really have hobbies involving both sexes.
    It is kind of unnatural to be seperated from the opposite sex, but still I don't believe that any girl would have problems interacting with males when they leave an all-girl school environment.

I don't have kids but if I had a daughter (which I'd love to one day) I would be sending her to an all girls school and no going out with her mates on weekdays, and no boyfriends til after gcse's.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to an all girls school for the first two years of secondary school and hated it. It wasn't so much that it was a single sex school, though that was weird, it was because most of the girls at the school were from a very different background to me. A large number of them were from wealthy families and lived in the more well off parts of town and I was from a low income family living in a council maisonette. I was very happy where I lived, and felt comfortable there, but when I went to that school I felt like I didn't fit in at all. My last three years of secondary school were spent at a mixed school, after we moved to another part of the country. I didn't want to move but I have happier memories at that school than I do of the all girls school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have kids but if I had a daughter (which I'd love to one day) I would be sending her to an all girls school and no going out with her mates on weekdays, and no boyfriends til after gcse's.

Thats a joke right?
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History tells us segregation is seldom a good thing.
  • Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent 5 months in an all girls school. Buggers caught me eventually.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member

:D:D. Bet you were popular with the girls though.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol :D
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that the bullying is worse in single sex schools, don't know how true it is though. I don't like the idea of segregating boys and girls myself - IMO it isn't natural.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Thats a joke right?
    No it isn't. It worked for me. I'd want the same for my daughter. You do what you want with yours.

*actually I wrote 'weekdays' by mistake - I actually meant school nights. The rest still applies.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never went to one but they were probably better for education.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to an all girls school, I had a great time, I wouldn't have swapped it for anything.

I can't say I was ever unbalanced or my mates were, I often see my old school mates in town, everybody very much happily married!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nickelback wrote: »
    I went to an all girls school, I had a great time, I wouldn't have swapped it for anything.

I can't say I was ever unbalanced or my mates were, I often see my old school mates in town, everybody very much happily married!!! :)
    Same here!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think so. Particularly in this age of all things digital and electronic.

Even though we didn't have all things digital and electronic in my time, it didn't stop some of us from having boys as friends, foes, crushes and boyfriends. And pen pals. :D

Seriously though, it depends on each person.

I had the aptitude to fit in anywhere, so I was able to fit in an all-girl boarding school, just as well as in a mixed-sex boarding school. My parents chose my schools on the basis of my personality and aptitude. For example, they knew I wasn't that keen on sports so they made sure I wasn't put in a sports-oriented school.

Some kids weren't so lucky as they ended up in unsuitable schools. There was a few in my own schools. They struggled. Homesickness, shyness and so on. Some learnt to adapt and eventually could fit in well, but there were some that still couldn't. Easy to see why some don't regard those years so highly.

All that said, I did notice one significant difference between the single-sex environment and the mixed-sex environment. The single-sex environment tended to create a strong sense of competitiveness, bluntness, trust and kinship. Everyone was equal in many respects, which made it easy for some to compete against each other.

In the mixed-sex environment, it was usually the boys that dominated. But some girls and boys cared almost too much about how they might be perceived, especially by the ones they liked, which often affected their academic performances. I didn't see this that often in the single-sex environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't. It worked for me. I'd want the same for my daughter. You do what you want with yours.

*actually I wrote 'weekdays' by mistake - I actually meant school nights. The rest still applies.

Good luck with that, once she hits the teens you'll have a struggle getting her to comply. Kids reach a point they want to do their own things and not be stifled by over dominant parents. They will also grow to resent it

What happens if you end up with a son instead of a daughter?
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to one, terrible idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Good luck with that, once she hits the teens you'll have a struggle getting her to comply. Kids reach a point they want to do their own things and not be stifled by over dominant parents. They will also grow to resent it

What happens if you end up with a son instead of a daughter?
    I don't resent my strict upbringing. In my culture that's how we do.
    Same with a son if I were to have one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't resent my strict upbringing. In my culture that's how we do.
    Same with a son if I were to have one.

You might not resent it, that doesn't mean that any child you have will feel the same way you did.