Which TV Would you get?

HI

My Toshiba 42x3030D has started playing up and now has a line going a long the screen so might get a new TV.

I really like these two

http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/lg-47ld450-47-hd-1080p-lcd-tv-with-2-hdmi-and-freeview.html?src=aff&ptnr=affiliatewindow&of_uid=9719e8a2-e0f4-4873-9cbc-5a31124cdb67

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003G2DITY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I am also open to others but must be

over 42in or more
1080P
And no more than £650

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Just bought the 42" version of the LG and I'm very pleased with it.

Available for £399.99 from Currys on special offer. Excellent value for money.

Paul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I have the 50inch monster, it's very good indeed. Picture quality is superb (once you fiddle the settings to your preference), plenty of inputs and even the DIVX playback works from USB flash drives.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should add TV will be used for Sky HD and some PS3 gaming so will the Plasma be OK with this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I should add TV will be used for Sky HD and some PS3 gaming so will the Plasma be OK with this?

Plasma is more susceptible to screen burn than LCD but it could be a problem on both types if static logos are displayed for long periods. The real danger period is during the initial burn in, usually the first 100 hours or so.

I use my PS3 daily, i watch a lot of BBC News 24 etc. and don't have a problem with burn in. You may get some temporary ghosting but it generally disappears after a minute or so of switching channels. It isn't generally a problem with onscreen logos on commercial channels due to the constant advertising breaks.

Just don't leave static images on screen for hours on end and you'll be fine.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought screen burn with plasma was pretty much a thing of the past ?

Anyway, I have a 50" LG plasma and am very satisfied with it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,437
    Forum Member
    Plasma is more susceptible to screen burn than LCD but it could be a problem on both types if static logos are displayed for long periods. The real danger period is during the initial burn in, usually the first 100 hours or so.

LCD's can't get screen burn, they don't work in that way - it's only Plasma (and CRT) that do. So there's no concern with an LCD, and no disclaimer in the warranty (unlike a Plasma).

But a little care for the first few months with a Plasma is all that's required - once 'burnt in' chances of screen burn are drastically reduced.

I take no precautions with my old Plasma at all, it's well past 'burn in' and no longer a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now found an LG 50PK590 which has 4x HDMI so is more handy for me at £650.

Also this one

Samsung PS50C550
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peejay33 wrote: »
    Just bought the 42" version of the LG and I'm very pleased with it.

Available for £399.99 from Currys on special offer. Excellent value for money.

Paul.

Have one myself from Comet for £399 also ..amazing value .LG must have loads of these to offload as they are about £379 £399 everywhere, must be the cheapest 42" plasma on the market at present .After a bit of twddling with settings I'm getting amazing picture quality via my virgin HD box .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCD's can't get screen burn, they don't work in that way - it's only Plasma (and CRT) that do. So there's no concern with an LCD, and no disclaimer in the warranty (unlike a Plasma).

But a little care for the first few months with a Plasma is all that's required - once 'burnt in' chances of screen burn are drastically reduced.

I take no precautions with my old Plasma at all, it's well past 'burn in' and no longer a problem.

Don't know if it's still the case but up to a couple of years ago it is in the warranty conditions of Samsung LCD TV's! I suspect though they used a common set of conditions in the warranty for both LCD & Plasma :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the LG 50PK590 for £550 which seems like a great price.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the LG 50PK590 for £550 which seems like a great price.

Where from as that is a cracking price??

The LG 50PK350 is actually the same panel as the 50PK590 but is the better performing tv as the higher models in the range have a bug that effects black levels and introduces undefeatable forced sharpening in some scenarios but I doubt the average user would even notice it. LG are supposed to be working on a fimware fix but so far nothing has materialised.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    For a screen that size I would opt for plasma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still like the LG 50PK590 only thing is before I order I need to know if it will be OK with channels like Five and Living.

Also I have some DVDs which are not in wide screen like Star Trek so if I was to watch these with the black bars on the side will it be OK?

As I don't like to stretch pictures.

And my room can be bright in the day but can close the curtains but have read LCDs are better for bright rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV has got a line down the bottom and you can see this in the picture.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs319.ash2/59979_468990748335_603968335_6522382_2095824_n.jpg
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still like the LG 50PK590 only thing is before I order I need to know if it will be OK with channels like Five and Living.

Also I have some DVDs which are not in wide screen like Star Trek so if I was to watch these with the black bars on the side will it be OK?

As I don't like to stretch pictures.

And my room can be bright in the day but can close the curtains but have read LCDs are better for bright rooms.

My LG has no problem upscaling from DVD, builtin freeview or virgin cable TV. I am sure the TV can be set to not mess with aspect raitio. If you want to watch with black bars, then no problem.

As for room brightness, for sure the the darker the room the better but as long as their no direct sunlight on the screen then I have not had a problem with my plasma. I think as several people have said, for larger screen (50" and above) then plasma is definately the way to go.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my local curry's megastore (leicester) has just reopened and has a opening offer (among others) of 50" LG for £499

my wife says we dont need another TV unfortunately
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My choice would be a Panasonic Plasma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the LG 50PK350 in the end as people seem to be having more problems with the K90.
    I noticed the set in Curry's had some dead pixels but my one seems to be fine.

And it had gone down £50 since I last looked at it.
    Have read that I should not play any channels with bright logos on for the first 100 hours but after this it should be OK?

So far the picture is so much better than my old set even on SD.

I also needed this set for the 1080P.
    And the Blacks are great.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the LG 50PK350 in the end as people seem to be having more problems with the K90.
    I noticed the set in Curry's had some dead pixels but my one seems to be fine.

And it had gone down £50 since I last looked at it.
    Have read that I should not play any channels with bright logos on for the first 100 hours but after this it should be OK?

So far the picture is so much better than my old set even on SD.

I also needed this set for the 1080P.
    And the Blacks are great.

Image retention will vary greatly from panel to panel so my advise is set the tv up to your liking and simply use it as intended - if you have any problems with image retention apply a wee bit of common sense and use the features included with the TV to combat it.

Simply stupid applying the worst case scenario to your TV when you may not need to. Simply pop it into Cinema/Movie mode and enjoy.;)
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For sure take the reflective nature of plasma screens very seriously.
    We bought a 42" Panasonic plasma which had to go back because watching even with a chink of light coming in was awful.
    Even a small lamp at night was a huge problem reflecting off the screen and as we simply don't have the option to move the furniture around it had to go.

Swapped for an LCD and all is well.