100Mb/s Broadband pricing

Just rang up to upgrade from 50Mb/s to 100Mb/s broadband and I was told it would cost an extra £23.50 per month (I'm on VIP50 package at the moment) plus £119 installation charge!:eek:

I thought it was only going to cost an extra £10. There is certainly no mention of £119 install charge on the web pages.

Comments

• StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit of a surprise. On their website it is advertised the the price 50Mbps was previously at, well that's how I see it as :confused:
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redpizza wrote: »
    Just rang up to upgrade from 50Mb/s to 100Mb/s broadband and I was told it would cost an extra £23.50 per month (I'm on VIP50 package at the moment) plus £119 installation charge!:eek:

I thought it was only going to cost an extra £10. There is certainly no mention of £119 install charge on the web pages.

It's because you are on VIP50 which has its discounts. Going up to 100Mb probably makes you lose the discounts (because a VIP100 doesn't exist yet).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Probably right. Virgin should have thought it through a little and introduced VIP100.

Even so, I'm certainly not paying £119 installation.
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    You shouldn't pay anything for upgrading to 100Mbit.

As far as I'm aware existing 50Mbit customers upgrading to 100Mbit get free installation and activation

There also is VIP 100
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Whats the price of VIP50 and what do you get, can no finf it on VMs website.

Thanks

JohnD
    Forum Member
    Just phoned customer services again and they quoted the same £23.50 per month. I asked about VIP100 and they said it didn't exist yet.

When I said the website says it is only £10 per month extra they passed me onto another team who said VIP100 does exist, and so I could have 100Mb for an extra £10pm plus £30 activation plus £40 installation.

After a bit of wrangling, I got the install for free as the guy who installed the 50Mb was useless and I did the install.

Long and short of it is that install is on 23rd December. No TiVo for Christmas but I got a consolation prize of 100Mb!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    You shouldn't pay anything for upgrading to 100Mbit.

As far as I'm aware existing 50Mbit customers upgrading to 100Mbit get free installation and activation

There also is VIP 100

If that is the case then I'll see if I can upgrade to from 50 to 100. If they say it's going to x amount to install then could I mention that the person has the wrong information ?
    Forum Member
    StevenNT wrote: »
    If that is the case then I'll see if I can upgrade to from 50 to 100. If they say it's going to x amount to install then the person has the wrong information ?
    Correct

If they do give the wrong information, please post it here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct

If they do give the wrong information, please post it here.

Thanks, I'll give them a call later on and see what they say :)
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent the prices wrong for 50meg anyway at 100 meg is 45 with a phone line and 35 without so wont 50 come down in price as 50meg users will be over paying for what they can get for 100meg
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    Arent the prices wrong for 50meg anyway at 100 meg is 45 with a phone line and 35 without so wont 50 come down in price as 50meg users will be over paying for what they can get for 100meg

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, especially given that you got the with and without landline prices wrong for 100Mb.

It's £45 for standalone 100Mb and £35 with the landline.....

...and it's £35 for standalone 50Mb and £25 with the landline.
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok slap hands but the point is speed im i right to say 100meg is just a tenner more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    Ok slap hands but the point is speed im i right to say 100meg is just a tenner more

No, that's wrong. According to the VM website it will be the price what 50Mbps was. 50Mbps would drop in price, the lower tiers I don't know about.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did the price change for virgin broadband by cable ?
    As I have 20mb at this time and pay £35 for it and would like to know if virgin would give a repayment back to the time of broadband changes.

Thanks
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They dont give repayments back.

If youre on some package, example VIP, and the contract started 2 years ago, youll find that youre paying more than you should for 1 or 2 of the services compared to their new tariff's. You have to phone them about getting it for cheaper - current day prices.

They dont do it automatically unless you take the broadband alone - without any other service.
    Forum Member
    No, that's wrong. According to the VM website it will be the price what 50Mbps was. 50Mbps would drop in price, the lower tiers I don't know about.
    Eh?

100Mbit is and has always been more expensive than 50Mbit

50Mbit has dropped by £3 only. It used to be £28/£38 and is now £25/£35 (for new sign ups)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?

100Mbit is and has always been more expensive than 50Mbit

50Mbit has dropped by £3 only. It used to be £28/£38 and is now £25/£35 (for new sign ups)

I was going by what is said on the website and what is advertised openly is cheaper than what we pay for 50Mbps. It says on my dad's bill 50mbps @ £45 before the triple play bundle discount. Where on earth did they get £45 from then? If it was 100Mbps I'd understand that logic :confused:
    Forum Member
    I was going by what is said on the website and what is advertised openly is cheaper than what we pay for 50Mbps. It says on my dad's bill 50mbps @ £45 before the triple play bundle discount. Where on earth did they get £45 from then? If it was 100Mbps I'd understand that logic :confused:
    Yes, but the prices advertised are AFTER the bundle discounts.

100Mbit I believe shows on the bill as over £50 before the discounts are applied.

It's just the way the pricing structure works at present
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but the prices advertised are AFTER the bundle discounts.

100Mbit I believe shows on the bill as over £50 before the discounts are applied.

It's just the way the pricing structure works at present

Thanks, it's a bit annoying to be honest and can cause inadvertent mistakes.

It would be nicer if on the bill it just list the 3 services this house pays for (for example) with the prices we ACTUALLY pay for. I hope VM are looking at that for a future billing overhaul :confused:

In short lose the discounts section on the bill it just complicates the bill.
  • stargazer600stargazer600 Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Thanks, it's a bit annoying to be honest and can cause inadvertent mistakes.

It would be nicer if on the bill it just list the 3 services this house pays for (for example) with the prices we ACTUALLY pay for. I hope VM are looking at that for a future billing overhaul :confused:

In short lose the discounts section on the bill it just complicates the bill.

I totaly agrea because when you are trying to split the bills in a shared house it becomes a bloody nightmare and you can never tell if you are being over charged or not, knowing them over charged because they have never given a toss about long term existing customers as I have found out recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totaly agrea because when you are trying to split the bills in a shared house it becomes a bloody nightmare and you can never tell if you are being over charged or not, knowing them over charged because they have never given a toss about long term existing customers as I have found out recently.

Yes I found that as well. When we signed up to NTL (as VM was known as back then) in 2001 we had the 3 services and only the internet service changed in speed over the years.

When I looked at it closely a couple of years ago I found we were overcharged for quite some time (maybe years) and called up and argued strongly and eventually got that changed. We managed to take up the "Tripple XL" bundle at the time so got much more for less (work that one out) and also got the crappy NTL Pace box replaced for the V+HD.

VM's billing department need to get their act together as you can easily find you can overcharged for months or even years in some cases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    The whole billing system is designed to get you to keep ringing up and sign up to new contracts every year. That is the only way to keep getting the best possible prices.
    Forum Member
    Just got phoned back by Virgin to tell me that they got the pricing wrong...

Activation is free! So VIP50 to VIP100 costs an extra £10pm with no activation fee and £40 installation fee (which I got for free).

Virgin CS are getting better!
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the billing is rubbish, we are on the XL bundle package (XL TV, Broadband and talk unlimited) however the bill still shows the XL broadband element at £37 a month, with an XL discount that I believe the majority relates to the broadband element. Our total XL package is £61 a month and I don't believe this is 100% correct, anyone know?
    Forum Member
    redpizza wrote: »
    Just got phoned back by Virgin to tell me that they got the pricing wrong...

Activation is free! So VIP50 to VIP100 costs an extra £10pm with no activation fee and £40 installation fee (which I got for free).

Virgin CS are getting better!
    Glad to hear it got all sorted.

Although as I said earlier the actual offer for existing 50Mbit customers to go to 100Mbit is both free activation and free installation.