£19 at ticket - have Vue gone insane?

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i go to vue at stratford westfield a couple of times a month and never once seen anything like this.

As I said earlier in the thread, they were doing it at the Westfield London Vue on Thursday and it was very annoying. Basically, every 20 minutes or so we could hear the outer door of the screen bang, then the inner door would open and a member of staff would stand in the doorway and watch us for half a minute, then he would back out and we'd hear the outer door bang again.

This was in a very small auditorium that only seats 48 so the door is close to the seats. Maybe it's not so noticeable in the large screens where the door is down the end of a corridor. Also this was a relatively quiet film (even with Vue's deafening sound system) so it was easy to hear any intrusive noises.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    That's me that is, i could have a sip of juice, and within mins i'm bursting.

I went to a BBC symphony orchestra concert a few weeks ago, and got caught short. On the radio there was a wait to begin the second half...that was ME running back to my seat with a red face. :o

Hahahaha! :D It's hell, I have to sit at the end of the row.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In Vue they have a member of staff that comes into the film at random intervals to check that nobody is recording the movie illegally. The problem is, they are over cautious and come in every 20 minutes or so which can be extremely annoying as they aren't always quiet. What makes things even worse is they use these night vision goggles and you can sometimes see the light shining from it directly into your line of vision. They take ages standing at the end of each row looking at each patron too! There was an article about it a while back.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2009/08/07/8179-1550/
    I'm not a regular cinema goer but have never seen this. I guessing it's for the bigger/busier cinemas only?
    Forum Member
    We never attend the cinema now, waiting for Skyfall to become available on BT Vision and the most it will cost is £6, the cinema is far too pricey ticket wise.

As for Flight, saw a bootleg copy and it was boring.
    I'm not a regular. It's once or twice a year and that's if there are a group of us going for a big film.
    Last year it was Skyfall and Batman.

My mate acquires movies from other sources and we watch at somebody's house.

I don't usualy bother because i've got Sky Movies. I don't care if i'm 1 or 2 years behind. I pay for it so would rather stay at home and watch something from there :D
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not a regular. It's once or twice a year and that's if there are a group of us going for a big film.

I don't usualy bother because i've got Sky Movies. I don't care if i'm 1 or 2 years behind. I pay for it so would rather stay at home and watch something from there :D

It's a shame that you and others feel like that. I'm not going to get into an argument about piracy, but for me there's nothing like watching a film at the cinema.

Thank god for cineworld and the unlimited premium card. It makes going to the cinema a bit more feasible on a regular basis.You also go and see a film you may not otherwise do, I've uncovered some gems in the last few years that I may have missed otherwise.
    Forum Member
    The main reason is I pay for Sky Movies. There are 3 or 4 premiers a week and then all the other older movies.
    There's also Film4 and other channels.

So there are plently of movies there to watch that I haven't seen before.
    Like I said, I save the cinema for the big, big movies that a group of us will go to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason is I pay for Sky Movies. There are 3 or 4 premiers a week and then all the other older movies.
    There's also Film4 and other channels.

So there are plently of movies there to watch that I haven't seen before.
    Like I said, I save the cinema for the big, big movies that a group of us will go to see.

Oh I have Sky too, I totally understand what you are saying, but in my opinion seeing the film on the big screen adds to it. I haven't gone as much in the last 2 months because of work and moving house, so I've been watching on Sky Movies, but it just doesn't beat the cinema, I've really missed it.

Obviously the cinema is better if you go at off peak times and days, you get a much better experience. No idiots!

I guess it's just horses for courses really. Some people love the cinema and go often, some prefer to stay in the comfort of their own home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a regular cinema goer but have never seen this. I guessing it's for the bigger/busier cinemas only?

The Vue's I have attended have all been 10+ screen cinemas so that might be it. I assumed they'd be policing the bigger releases during the opening week but it appears to be completely random. When I went to see Drive it was absolutely packed and they just did their regular checks but during The Ides of March on it's last week they went the full nine and were coming in constantly with the night vision googles, which I found a bit OTT as there were less than 8 of us in there! Never experienced it at any other cinema apart from Vue.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    For £19 I would want a smoking section,a ride home and a guarantee that no morons would disturb me in any way,ever ;-)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those prices are awful, no wonder the cinema industry is struggling.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Those prices are awful, no wonder the cinema industry is struggling.

Is it struggling? I don't see many muliplexes closing down.

Vue at Westfield is a pretty good cinema. The Xtreme screens there are the next best thing to an IMAX screen, and they cost £14. Ok not at all cheap, but it often seems pretty packed.

The real cinema rip of is in the West End where its £20 plus. Ok the big screens at the Empire and Odeon are pretty impressive, but they charge the same £20 for sitting in one of the tiny screens round the back as well.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These days you can pick up a 50" plasma for well under £500. Just get an HD media player, download BR rips from the Pirate Ship, and sit 5ft away from the screen.

OK, I'll admit it's not quite the same, but a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run if you're a regular cinema goer. I don't have a cinema for 25 miles, so the TV option does fine for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    These days you can pick up a 50" plasma for well under £500. Just get an HD media player, download BR rips from the Pirate Ship, and sit 5ft away from the screen.

OK, I'll admit it's not quite the same, but a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run if you're a regular cinema goer. I don't have a cinema for 25 miles, so the TV option does fine for me.

Well I can understand that if you don't have a cinema close like you. Luckily I've got a cineworld within 20min walk of me or 5 min drive if I'm feeling lazy.

I don't understand why more cinemas don't do a members card that you pay for monthly.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And actually buying the ticket at Westfield is no cake walk, either.

Went to The hunger Games last year, and with 10 minutes to the credits, was stuck in the queue behind the locals loading up on small skips of popcorn and portable soda-lakes.
    They didn't have a dedicated box-office,you have to get in line at the concessions outlet.

That said , a helpful employee pointed me to the ice-cream stand, where there was no queue, and tickets to be had.

Makes sense.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow daylight robbery, my local movie house cinema you could take 6 people to see a 3d film for that price on a Tuesday and still have change :p
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We are having a Skyfall party, be about 15 of us watching it having a drink and pizza on a 55 inch screen with true dolby surround sound, total cost for beer/pizza and film is 60 quid, saving around 70 quid if we were to see it in the cinema and thats before treats/drinks and transport are taken into consideration.
    Forum Member
    Yea we do the same. Only about 4 or 5 of us though. But we get the booze in and order in.
    We also have theme nights. The good thing about being at home is that you can watch 3 or 4 movies in a row into the early hours.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really expensive it would have to be very comfortable seats and include food for me to pay that.

I love the cinema but I always get the most annoying people sit near me it puts me off. Last film I saw was the 3d titanic :o and two guys came and sat next to me and talked the whole film. I was too shy to tell them to STFU. And people that sit in front of you and look that their phones, argh! When I went to see public enemies we got a load of chavs in who shouted and laughed in all the quiet emotional parts of the movie. I am so unlucky at the cinema :D.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    £19? Bargain.

When I went to the "scene" in westfield it was £19.40 for Hobbit in 3D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having a Skyfall party, be about 15 of us watching it having a drink and pizza on a 55 inch screen with true dolby surround sound, total cost for beer/pizza and film is 60 quid, saving around 70 quid if we were to see it in the cinema and thats before treats/drinks and transport are taken into consideration.

How much was the set up though ;):D
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I don't understand why more cinemas don't do a members card that you pay for monthly.

There are far more Vue cinemas than Cineworld.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much was the set up though ;):D

Tv is a panny smart/freesat 3d cost £1500 in a sale,surround system set up was bought from shoplifters for a hundred quid, right price was around a grand, and its paying for itself because since we bought them we have had seven premiere theme nights watching films with friends rather than at the cinema.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why don't Vue do a card then? Really still doesn't make sense to me. If Cineworld can do it then so can the other cinemas.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Why don't Vue do a card then?

If you register with Vue's web site they send out surveys, most of which seem like a waste of time (have you ever heard of VIP seats, that kind of thing). But they have asked whether customers are members of any other cinema chains' discount schemes, so maybe they have considered it and rejected it.

The problem with Vue is they market their cinemas as a premium product rather than as a better product at a competitive price. So you can get cheaper tickets to an arthouse cinema with great picture and sound quality and a better atmosphere, or you can get cheaper tickets to an Odeon with great picture and sound but a naff atmosphere, or you can get cheaper tickets to a Cineworld with all-round naffness. And all of them will offer some kind of discount scheme. I think Vue have simply got it wrong, but presumably they make more money this way.
  • wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member

No there's not, Odeon has the most sites followed by Cineworld.