Rant..Re.TV License!!!

2»

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pedantic part of my post. In the UK It is spelt Licence Not license.

You beat me to it. I would put this in the top 10 of mispelled words. It does my head in! I know - I need to get a life.... :D
    Licence is the noun, license is the verb.
    I think the confusion comes because in the US it's license for both. Another Americanism creeping into our lives! :mad:
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, it is obvious you know nothing about the law regarding TV Licensing so I will bid you farewell.

I think the point Babe Rainbow was making is he might not need a TV Licence if he doesn't watch live broadcast TV.

Nobody likes an uber-pedant.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, the guy downstairs has made a calculated decision to remain unlicensed. You made a decision to be licensed. Both those decisions were made independently of the other, you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to be mad at your downstairs neighbour.

Advice: Be at peace about your own decision and stop minding other peoples' business.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He might not be getting "away with" anything. Anyone can quite legally watch shows on Catch Up TV via BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4od and demand5 without needing a TV Licence.

Does anyone on here know for a fact that He is watching TV as it is broadcast?

Pedantic part of my post. In the UK It is spelt Licence Not license.
    They have no legal right of entry PERIOD without a search warrant and they are very rare.

It seems that a lot of people think because you have a telly you must have a Licence, This is simply not true.

Owning a "telly" means nothing legally, a telly could be used for lots of other things, watching DVDs, Video Tapes, Catch Up TV etc.

Pedantic part of my post. In the UK it's "full stop", not period.:D
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I think the point Babe Rainbow was making is he might not need a TV Licence if he doesn't watch live broadcast TV.

Nobody likes an uber-pedant.

Please allow me to clarify, Hypno.

That wasn't my point, it was TragicDoggie's point and of course, he is absolutely correct. And I did actually know that before. I'm not sure where he got the impression that I didn't but anyway...

MY point is; that is not what is suggested in the OP's post, which indicates that, in his (the neighbour's) words, he is "getting away with it" which in turn suggests that he thinks he DOES legally need one. This means he either does watch live broadcasting ( either on tv or computer ) or he doesn't but is under the impression that he legally needs one to watch catchup but doesn't care.

My original point, in my first post, is that what the neighbour does and his reasons for so doing should have no impact on what the OP does.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but just to clarify what you seem to saying.

If your not paying your TV licence because you don't legally require one then you are a "low life" according to you.

Is that really what you are saying?

absolutely not, im simply pointing out that the as the OP is paying their licence, i wouldnt be concerned about anybody else

let them get caught...a fine and a criminal record..
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    absolutely not, im simply pointing out that the as the OP is paying their licence, i wouldnt be concerned about anybody else

Thank you. I am so pleased to hear that.

I would be very bad if you thought of me as a low life just because I don't have a TV Licence.

I will be able to sleep a lot better tonight :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have no legal right of entry PERIOD without a search warrant and they are very rare.

That is exactly my point! If they have evidence that you are watching or recording live television they can apply to the courts for a warrant and then legally they can enter. They need to prove it and that is virtually impossible!

Just the pedant in me but saying no right PERIOD without a search warrant isn't actually no right PERIOD is it! Also, in the UK we don't use the word PERIOD in this context! Sorry, uber-pedant!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Or my the person opens the door, and the person says tv licence, and the tenant says no thankyou and closers the door, just like you do with all other door to door salesman.