The X Files Returns - How will they make it work?

thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure that I am not the only one who was incredibly excited - and a little surprised - at the announcement of a new six episode run of The X Files.
I was a huge fan of the original series - seasons 1-5 especially - and enjoyed both movies so a new season, however short, is great news.

One thing I think we can agree on is that things got a little messy towards the end of the run and in I Want To Believe. The mythology of the show wrapped itself up in knots and the business of Scully's child and Mulder and Scully's relationship only complicated things further.

If they want this new season to appeal to new fans, six episodes is a relatively short time to cram in all that backstory - but they need to do some groundwork otherwise it's going to appeal just to the diehard fans.

Also, 2012 has come and gone I wonder if they will address the supposed colonisation?

Do you think that they will continue the mythology of the original run or focus on something new? The wording of the announcement "telling these six stories" makes it sound as though standalone episodes are possible.
Maybe separate cases connected in some way?

Comments

• Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost track near the end.

I know Mulder disappeared at some point & replaced by another guy but god knows after that!
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it hope sky1 pick it up and show it soon after U.S,
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope there's not too much story-arcing,
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just have them livign normal life like they were in the 2nd film, a case comes up, mulder looks into it as curious(skully doesnt care)

and the case leads them back to the original invasion plans and they investigate further from there to find out why it didnt take place on dec 12th as planned.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

You lasted longer than the writers ;)
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

I know Mulder disappeared at some point & replaced by another guy but god knows after that!

Wasn't he replaced by the guy who is now head of Scorpion? If so, I presume he will not be returning as that show is one of this year's big hits in the US.

Or am I misrecalling?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he replaced by the guy who is now head of Scorpion? If so, I presume he will not be returning as that show is one of this year's big hits in the US.

Or am I misrecalling?

yes he is also in terminator 2.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    For the last week or so I've been re-watching the last 2 seasons. It has reminded how the mythology episodes went from being amongst the most interesting and exciting in the first few years to being, well, plain silly is not too strong a phrase. Whatever the writers were thinking in the shows concerning the birth of Scully's baby, for example, with all those heavy-handed references to christian mythology, it was just like bad parody.

I'm looking forward to the new episodes but nevertheless mindful of how much the mythology lost its way. Standalone episodes were generally fine up to the end although I did miss Mulder.
  • SyrenaSyrena Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that we get to see the 6 episodes here in the UK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syrena wrote: »
    I hope that we get to see the 6 episodes here in the UK

Same here, and if we do most likely it will be on sky 1.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite liked the episodes with the 2 new leads,I was finding the whole Alien/government conspiracy stuff a bit tedious by then and quite frankly was glad to see less of Mulder at that point.
    The series had a great run but went on too long can't see a good reason to bring it back.

Though I will probably have a gander if it is shown here:(
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    The series had a great run but went on too long can't see a good reason to bring it back.

Running out of ideas for new shows perhaps.

One suggestion I've read is it will help drum up interest in the older episodes so they can make more money from selling the rights.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't rule out Netflix or Amazon TV. But hopefully it will be on sky one or FOX.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe to have closure on the main arc. It didn't went on for too long for me, I enjoyed all the seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) Super excited now ! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out Netflix or Amazon TV. But hopefully it will be on sky one or FOX.

:) Excited I am ! :)
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    For the last week or so I've been re-watching the last 2 seasons. It has reminded how the mythology episodes went from being amongst the most interesting and exciting in the first few years to being, well, plain silly is not too strong a phrase. Whatever the writers were thinking in the shows concerning the birth of Scully's baby, for example, with all those heavy-handed references to christian mythology, it was just like bad parody.

I'm looking forward to the new episodes but nevertheless mindful of how much the mythology lost its way. Standalone episodes were generally fine up to the end although I did miss Mulder.

Got to agree with this. Series 9 William was in constant danger as he was almost being hyped as the second coming. Just totally silly and impossible to take seriously. I also agree that the stand alone/MOTW episodes were the best in the later series. I think I'd enjoy 6 MOTW episodes for this reboot to get us back into it and encourage new viewers.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    I did miss Mulder.
    quite frankly was glad to see less of Mulder at that point.

Regarding the situation regarding Mulder later on, I felt he was the shows biggest hinderance. The writers lacked the confidence to simply let him go after Duchovny proved a bit problematic (for reasons that may be entirely justifiable, I've never read much into it). It faced a bit of an identity crisis, and I say that as someone who loved Seasons 8 and 9, but they were at their strongest when Mulder was gone. Introducing Doggett and subsequently Reyes gave the show a breath of new life, and Scully and Skinner were welcome consistency. I even feel they had to work the mythology around him, as it had to pander to his superfluous presence near the end of Season 8 - the season had started well with a very classic sense of eerie chills and interesting standalones. Season 9 got this right for me too, though was let down by a lack of resolution despite having all the pieces in place to give one.

Even the movie I Want to Believe didn't seem quite sure of what it wanted to do with Mulder and Scully. Regardless of the actors, the characters were in very different places. The relationship felt forced and lost the subtleties it had held throughout the previous nine seasons (far too domesticated for my liking, not to mention bleak and dreary), and Scully wasn't even interested in what was going on for the most part - the two shared many scenes, but didn't seem to share a single moment together in that last film.

I can wish for the return of Doggett and Reyes, a resolution to the mythology, a return to filming in Canada and so on... but what this Miniseries needs to get right is the Mulder-Scully dynamic. Have them both back as agents, genuinely investigating, and doing the job that made them sci-fi icons. Keep their relationship subtle, underplay it even. Just get that right, and then a better story is likely to fall into place no matter what.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the last couple of seasons. Robert Patrick is great, his relationships with Scully, Reyes and Skinner were interesting. Just a shame Doggett and Reyes seemed so out of place in the mythology episodes, they were fine in the standalone episodes. Tbh it didn't take that long for me to stop missing Mulder. He quite annoyed me when he came back. The whole "super soldier" direction was pretty crappy, but it was still better than most television. I think the last couple of series missed some of the interesting side character as well; Deep Throat, X, Cancer Man, Krycek etc. I know some of them died in the storyline, but the point is they weren't adequately replaced in the last few series.

Of this new series, I'm just hoping its all to do with the colonisation. No standalones as they don't have the episodes to waste. Maybe finish with a movie or feature length finale. Now that I think about it, what the hell was the point in the last movie? lol
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the last seasons had their moments and dogget and reyes were fine BUT mulder was missed no doubt about it.

x files is MULDER and SCULLY, and these 6 episodes can have cameos from others but should center around the 2 agents majority love most.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact they are doing just 6 episodes and the talk about different stories gives me hope that we will see a return of the 'monster of the week' part of the series.

The X-Files had the main plot arc with the extra terrestrials and alien abduction but it really shined when it explored different types of supernatural goings on.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 8 improves on repeat viewing I found, but Season 9 for me was the worst season. Apart from the obvious being no mulder, but also Scully was pushed into the background. She was only ever prominent in the mythology episodes but there several episodes where Scully would have perhaps a few scenes. Even in the episode when the Lone Gunmen died, Scully appeared briefly at their funeral, which was very disheartening as Scully knew the Lone Gunmen better than anyone who was still in the show. I found an article a few years ago around the time X Files finished for good, and GIllian Anderson remarked she didn't like season 9 because of what little material they gave her. I did love Dogett and Reyes, especially Reyes. They never felt like Mulder and Scully 2.0. I didn't enjoy the standalone episodes at all. They were poor and very forgettable, which was a shame as X-Files was famous for it's standalone episodes more than anything. The only episode I really truly liked was the episode when Reyes had a car crash and she ended up in a purgatory place. That does actually rank as one of my fav episodes, and it also proved to be the only episode where Reyes took centre stage.

As much as I adore the show and can talk anyone's ear off about it, I don't want new adventures and a new mythology. I just want a end to the stories. I want an end to Mulder and Scully's story. If the show ever did continue with two new agents, I would be so up for that. But i hope these six episodes are not left open ended. They should primarily serve as a wrap up to Mulder and Scully's story.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they might revisit some of the monster of the week episodes that were left open ended.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as 'there must be some scientific explanation for this, Mulder...' is in at least one episode, we're good. :cool:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they might revisit some of the monster of the week episodes that were left open ended.

I hope not
    I loved X Files for it's ambigious endings