Options

Letters after my name?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That conjured up an image I really could have done without – you actually tell people you do that? :eek: Any vacancies, or should that be "openings"? :D

I hear proctology can be highly lucrative!!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a particullary pompus prat who lives in our village and always puts Bsc after his name, even on the most insignificant things.

When my daughter Amy was about 7 she was reading something he had printed with his name and then Bsc. She innocently said, in a loud voice in front of a lot of people, "Graham, when did you get your bronze swimming certificate? I've got my gold one now"

That certainly brought him down a peg.......I didn't know where to look!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Mine would be Sarah_cs BA PGDL PGDLP PGCE but that just makes me look like a dilletante!

Which of course I'm not.......honest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My business card would not be long enough for all my letters. :rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked in Customer Service most of my working life after a BA (waste LOL) , I can safely tell you most people will think you're a pretentious t*at if you did,

Though it isnt as bad as my pet hate, hyphenated surnames!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hyphenated surnames used to be very rare and you took notice when you saw one but now in these increasing times of unmarried parents, they tend to give their child both of their surnames even if they don't sound right together. It just looks so stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A past colleague of mine insisted on everyone calling her Dr (insert name) because she had a Phd. I heard her on the phone to her bank once getting quite shirty with them and saying, it's not Ms (insert name) it's Dr (insert name)!!

It didn't go down well.
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    debbiesian wrote: »
    A past colleague of mine insisted on everyone calling her Dr (insert name) because she had a Phd. I heard her on the phone to her bank once getting quite shirty with them and saying, it's not Ms (insert name) it's Dr (insert name)!!

It didn't go down well.

If I'd done a PHD I'd also insist on people calling me Doctor! Then again, I think a solar-powered fan-hat is cool.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    When I graduate with my 2nd degree I will be BAMA

Your other names arent LANGA DING DONG are they?.....:D
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Your other name arent LANGA DING DONG are they?.....:D

Haha! :D:cry:
  • Options
    ChoochyChoochy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    It looks pretentious unless it's relevent to the letter you're writing/line of business you're in. I can put letters after my name but unless I return to the industry I gained my qualifications in it is pointless. For example, my dad was FRICS and because he was a surveyor it showed clients his qualification.
  • Options
    ChoochyChoochy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    Hyphenated surnames used to be very rare and you took notice when you saw one but now in these increasing times of unmarried parents, they tend to give their child both of their surnames even if they don't sound right together. It just looks so stupid.

Hyphenated surnames came about when a child from one family of money and power married another with the same credentials.
  • Options
    GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll put my letters after my name - BEd (Bachelor of Education):o

I did my degree in Bradford and we were nicknamed the Bradford Beds :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am too embarrassed to use my letters or the courtesy title.

I also keep my degree certificates hidden away in a tatty envelope at the back of a drawer :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Examinus wrote: »
    If I'd done a PHD I'd also insist on people calling me Doctor!

Problem was every one of her colleagues had at least a first degree but none of us ever mentioned them.
    Then again, I think a solar-powered fan-hat is cool.

:):)

Funny thing was, a few years after I stopped working with this Dr person, by coincidence my sister bought a house from her. My sister was under the impression she was a medical doctor because of her insistence on being addressed by her title!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote: »
    I am too embarrassed to use my letters or the courtesy title.

I also keep my degree certificates hidden away in a tatty envelope at the back of a drawer :o

I lost mine years ago! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debbiesian wrote: »
    I lost mine years ago! :o
    :eek: What if you need them? (like a job application to prove your credentials) Can you order a replacement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: What if you need them? (like a job application to prove your credentials) Can you order a replacement?

Yes you can, I had to order replacements once but then I lost them again!! You have to pay but it's not too much. I've only been asked to produce certificates once in my whole career.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    It's not the British thing to do old chap, but I'm told some European cultures judge you by your qualifications, and it therefore helps to blow your own trumpet (oo-er) when dealing with them.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

My Uni charges 40 quid. It also has a website announcing who got what so with luck I can get away with waving a driving licence.
  • Options
    HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Examinus wrote: »
    Because I have a degree now does that mean I can put letters after my name when filling in forms?

You can, but most people dont, it looks a bit pompus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    It's not the British thing to do old chap, but I'm told some European cultures judge you by your qualifications, and it therefore helps to blow your own trumpet (oo-er) when dealing with them.
    I think in Germany they are quite keen on the whole qualifications thing.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in Germany they are quite keen on the whole qualifications thing.
    Well, yes, you do have Herr Direktor and Herr Doktor and Herr Professor.

And slightly off topic, only German could produce Dampschifffahrtsgesellschaftsdirektorsstellvertretersgemahlin, which can be translated as steam-navigation-company's-manager's-deputy's-wife. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Choochy wrote: »
    Hyphenated surnames came about when a child from one family of money and power married another with the same credentials.

I know, and that is why people used to have to take notice. But now, every Tom Dick and Harriet are doing it.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris chow wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it on, i don't with my own BSc. I think it looks a bit sad. PhD looks OK though. One day i might have one of those so then i would use it :D
    But with a PhD you don't generally put them after your name do you? You have the title Dr. instead.