Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
Forum Member
✭✭
...this was a funny and clever line when it was used. I notice they only used it in the one episode though. They probably realised that if it was endlessly repeated it would quickly become tired, boring and just not very funny.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    blink and the children in need at the end of series 3?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the episode blink.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironicly the part of the line I thought funniest never seems to get quoted - its the way the Doctor realises he really cant describe time/space and trails off with "....stuff".
    :D
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Check_it wrote: »
    ...this was a funny and clever line when it was used. I notice they only used it in the one episode though. They probably realised that if it was endlessly repeated it would quickly become tired, boring and just not very funny.

I don't mind the phrase being used in its proper place - when it's describing events in the Doctor Who timeline that are very difficult to explain and put into words, but which DO theoretically make sense - it's just hard to explain them.

In those cases, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey is the perfect way of simplifying it.

However, it has become way too over-used and is now posted by people to explain plot holes, mistakes, and things that DON'T actually make sense. That in itself doesn't bug me (if they want to overlook plot holes that's their choice), what bugs me is that they don't even understand the difference in how they are using it, and how it's supposed to be used.

Rant over :)
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOOOOOOOL!
    Great line! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    I prefer "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" Jon Pertwee said it every week at some point.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way Captain jack tries to exaplin time in the TW episode 'To the Last Man'. I'm trying to find it, but he uses a piece of paper!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey....stuff. It reminds me of the scene in Austin Powers when they are questioning Austin's timeline. The Colonel replies something like:

"I wouldn't worry about any of that Austin. Just sit there and enjoy the story *turns to camera* and the same goes for you"
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    welshmed wrote: »
    Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey....stuff. It reminds me of the scene in Austin Powers when they are questioning Austin's timeline. The Colonel replies something like:

"I wouldn't worry about any of that Austin. Just sit there and enjoy the story *turns to camera* and the same goes for you"

I disagree. The quote from Austin Powers is a fun way of saying "None of this really makes sense, but just sit back and enjoy" ( Which I completely AGREE with, btw).

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey," on the other hand, is not a way of papering over plot holes or bad continuity - it's more a simplified way of saying "it DOES make sense, trust me, but it's too complicated to explain."

:D
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tis a great line. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only bit that makes me cringe in ""Time Crash" involves the use of that line. It's when Doc 5+10 say it in tandem and 10 then goes to do a high five which 5 ignores.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only bit that makes me cringe in ""Time Crash" involves the use of that line. It's when Doc 5+10 say it in tandem and 10 then goes to do a high five which 5 ignores.:eek:

The only thing I didn't like about Time Crash was how they turned Five into a complete thickwit. I mean, how dim is someone who has someone shouting "I'm you!" in his face in the middle of an unrecognisable TARDIS after a crisis of two TARDISes mergin, but still doesn't realise until Ten says "Sorry mate, you still haven't"? :eek: It was funny and everything, but if they ever do another one I'd like to see Five actually be able to do something rather than just looking like an idiot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I don't mind the phrase being used in its proper place - when it's describing events in the Doctor Who timeline that are very difficult to explain and put into words, but which DO theoretically make sense - it's just hard to explain them.

In those cases, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey is the perfect way of simplifying it.

However, it has become way too over-used and is now posted by people to explain plot holes, mistakes, and things that DON'T actually make sense. That in itself doesn't bug me (if they want to overlook plot holes that's their choice), what bugs me is that they don't even understand the difference in how they are using it, and how it's supposed to be used.

Rant over :)
    TBH, its main use since blink has been by fans trying to explain something they don't understand when they believe it is too complicated or saying that they just suspend their belief.
    I mean in Time Crash - it was basically that a nod back to blink and the huge uasge of that line on the net.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I didn't like about Time Crash was how they turned Five into a complete thickwit. I mean, how dim is someone who has someone shouting "I'm you!" in his face in the middle of an unrecognisable TARDIS after a crisis of two TARDISes mergin, but still doesn't realise until Ten says "Sorry mate, you still haven't"? :eek: It was funny and everything, but if they ever do another one I'd like to see Five actually be able to do something rather than just looking like an idiot.

Although the episode was just a bit of fun , I wondered whether that had anything to do with the timelords not being around anymore. Even so , 10 did realise Yana was the master once the FOB watch was opened in Utopia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the episode was just a bit of fun , I wondered whether that had anything to do with the timelords not being around anymore. Even so , 10 did realise Yana was the master once the FOB watch was opened in Utopia.

That's all very well, but he was shouting "I'm you, I'm you!", not to mention Five himself said "It's as if two TARDISes have merged".

But yup, I know it was just a bit of fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's all very well, but he was shouting "I'm you, I'm you!", not to mention Five himself said "It's as if two TARDISes have merged".

But yup, I know it was just a bit of fun.

Perhaps it was a form of denial from Doc5 , that he didn't want to end up like Jarvis Cockers Manic brother!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it was a form of denial from Doc5 , that he didn't want to end up like Jarvis Cockers Manic brother!

LOL :D that is exactly what I was thinking....well apart from the Jarvis bit, I was thinking more skinny boy in suit....also No 5 was the youngest the Doc had been for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time....so maybe it was a bit of jealousy too;)....

In all fairness there wasn't a bit where the 5th Doctor openly said...."Oh yes, you must be me...." he just carried on....so yep I would go for the whole denial thing
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <<<
    >>>

Seconded. Once was funny, twice was bloody annoying and smug.

Pertwee only said "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" in The Sea Devils, and later on his return in The Five Doctors!