In Demand (EMAP Big City)

First thoughts:

Far, FAR better than the rather dated "Music Control" on the other side.

Rich and Luce work well (as they should after so long!)

Nice to hear some station specific links as well.

Not so keen on networking, but at least its decent programming.

Comments

• Scotty_BScotty_B Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds rubbish, great way to destroy once great stations like Radio City. Not pretty much unlistenable to from 7 - 2 with this load of rubbish and pete bonehead price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Nowhere near as good as Phoneboy from Hallam FM or Rob Ellis and Debbie Mac who used to do this slot on 103. They are arm wrestling now, it sounds absolutely stupid
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arm wrestling on the radio now, fascinating to watch... oh wait...
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Few problems with the ad breaks on Viking, they were either too long for the gap or not planned properly. Bring back Ian Skye - oh but then on another thread there's news about him anyway.....
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich and Luce were great on Trent FM. A great loss to GCap.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty_B wrote:
    Sounds rubbish, great way to destroy once great stations like Radio City. Not pretty much unlistenable to from 7 - 2 with this load of rubbish and pete bonehead price.

Indeed Scotty_B - EMAP should be hanging their heads in shame for this - fancy Radio City coming from Manchester every evening.

Oh for the great old days of Great Easton Express followed by Downtown.

This pap will be off on Wednesday one assumes when the mighty Reds take on Chelski..
  • Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    This is the show´s web site :

http://www.indemand.fm/
  • srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed Music On Demand, and yes In Demand is actually an improvement on that.

But as someone said, the likes of Phoneboy, Debbie Mac et al who used to do local evening show's were probably much better.

As soon as Bam Bam started on Capital, I have barely listened to this show anyhow. It's pale in comparison - which probably backs up the counter-argument.
  • Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    The show is not bad at all.

In fact, its only a change of names between The UK´s most wanted and In Demand.

That is the kind of show I need since The Mix was axed on satellite and Music Control was only possible online.

There were some problems with the advs. yesterday. Today´s show is perfect and without blanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich and Luce were great on Trent FM. A great loss to GCap.
    G-Cap should have stuck them on Music Control themselves, to keep hold of the pair.

Would have sounded much better than at present with Kevin.
  • Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this still from Key 103?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this still from Key 103?
    It is indeed still coming live from Manchester, yes.
  • grimupnorthgrimupnorth Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These networked shows now appear on Hallam Fm, in place of Phone boy and Nick Margerrison.

NM was fired after 6+ years at Hallam FM (in a pretty shabby way if the description in his blog of his last night there, is anything to go by) .

In South Yorkshire, Hallam's a strong local brand . It's a shame they've chosen to go for a less local feel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    These networked shows now appear on Hallam Fm, in place of Phone boy and Nick Margerrison.

NM was fired after 6+ years at Hallam FM (in a pretty shabby way if the description in his blog of his last night there, is anything to go by) .

In South Yorkshire, Hallam's a strong local brand . It's a shame they've chosen to go for a less local feel.

Don't you know?

Emap, like any radio group, don't care about keeping listeners to their local stations. They only care about maximising their profits.
    If they can operate their radio business on the cheap then they keep their shareholders happy - and that's simply all there is to it.
    Of course they need help to get away with this, so the idiots at Ofcom let them get away with taking the 'LOCAL' out of LOCAL RADIO.

These stations all did very well on their own originally - to say that they need to do networking to operate effectively is merely a poor excuse for them to get away with producing radio programmes on the cheap.

Same for the other groups too. They don't give two figs about their local audiences - they just care about running a business on the cheap.
    It means we all lose out because our listening choices become limited, but Ofcom don't seem to think that matters.

How rather short sighted.
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just known as Most Wanted a week ago and a surprise turn to The Hits Radio last night to find Rich and Luce actually presenting and sounding live.

The show is well put together from what I heard. Sure it takes away the localism that Radio City, Viking etc all had but this is what the future of commercial radio is looking like (unfortunately/fortunately).

Though on the GCap side of things:
    Music Control on the GCap Network needs a change and a female co-host with Kevin. He's souding good but his show is lacking a bit. Also, wish they would bring back 'Core Control' ..

Anyway, to end this post. Give In Demand a few weeks, some of you may even begin to like it.
  • grimupnorthgrimupnorth Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Give In Demand a few weeks, some of you may even begin to like it.

I don't think I can be bothered. :rolleyes:

It's not what I want to hear.

Zorb-Furble has a good point.

I liked the local feel of Hallam, especially the evening shows which included a phone-in. That went and now so has the identity of the station. I would rather listen to my iPod and automate my own choice of music rather than theirs. Shuffle stylie.

I think it's lazy of them to make everything sound the same. It doesn't show much imagination. If they can't be bothered why should I ?

I won't listen to much Hallam anymore. Theres better things to listen too.
  • Kev_AkasKev_Akas Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it's better then the old evening show on Metro, but I'm not interested in listening - my PC/MP3/CD player has had the dust blown off em. Wayne was great on Metro's evening show but I couldn't help feeling toward the end he was limited to what he could say, and what he could squeeze in between those 'No talk 'cripple' plays' - those bloody things are the worst thing they ever brought in, ever. If I'm out on the road heading to sites I want to hear some good crack on with the presenter, not "You're in the middle of another no talk triple play" over and over again - Galaxy gets my ears through the day now.

In my opinion as a listener they've ruined most of Metro with those triple plays. Brian Moore's afternoon show is ruined with those stupid triple plays, it's such a change listening to him in the mornings when he covers, he is actually allowed to talk! - and he's a tremendous listen then, so wasted in the evenings. Mark Thorburn (another great presenter) is also sadly limited to what he can squeeze in. Tis a true shame.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Networking in the evening is nothing new in Yorkshire. Even in the heavily regulated late 80s there used to be the 'Yorkshire Radio Network' in which Pennine (Bradford/Halifax/Huddersfield), Hallam (Sheffield/Rotherham/Barnsley/Doncaster) and Viking (Hull) used to share programming from about 7pm onwards.

Can anyone remember whether it carried on beyond 10pm?

I used to be a big fan of Tim Finlay who did the early evening slot:

www.adamfi.co.uk/Tim_Finlay.mp3

(1988 recording)

The legendary James Whale late night phone-in was another of example of northern networking from that era. It started off on Radio Aire in Leeds but later was networked across onto Red Rose Radio in Preston. Therefore reasonable mono reception of the show was available in much of Yorkshire and the North West.

Therefore, I used to listen to networked programming right through from 7pm to 2am in 1988!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found a couple more Yorkshire Radio Network clips. The first one was really strange. It was recorded off the 102.5 FM Pennine transmitter for Halifax/Huddersfield, yet the advert only mentions Radio Hallam and invites you to travel from Sheffield to Aintree to see Michael Jackson. Also odd was the choice of Radio Aire's James Whale for the voiceover! (as Aire was in different ownership at the time)

www.adamfi.co.uk/Yorkshire_Radio_Network_1.mp3

They even had a Yorkshire Radio Network news jingle:

www.adamfi.co.uk/Yorkshire_Radio_Network_2.mp3
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radamfi wrote:
    Can anyone remember whether it carried on beyond 10pm?

I used to be a big fan of Tim Finlay who did the early evening slot:

I'm not sure who, or if it was on after 10pm. I remember Tim Finlay on it. I think i remember Simon Hirst on overnights & Bruce Edwards aswell around 1993/1994 time as i used to work overnights & listen.

Did it come from Hallam or Viking?
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radamfi wrote:

The legendary James Whale late night phone-in was another of example of northern networking from that era. It started off on Radio Aire in Leeds but later was networked across onto Red Rose Radio in Preston. Therefore reasonable mono reception of the show was available in much of Yorkshire and the North West.

Yeah James Whale on Radio Aire in the 80's. Does anyone remember the "Whaley rap" that he did & released it in, i don't know, around 1988/89 ish? I still have it on 7 inch vinyl.

The mega sound of Radio Aire! :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    It came from Studio 2 at Viking and ran from 8pm until 6am.

The initial YRN weekday lineup was:

8pm - Tim Finlay
    12am - Steve Tong
    3am - Les Smith

Weekend presenters included Paul Massey and Diana Luke.

The ads were all networked too (which is why you heard an ad mentioning Radio Hallam on Pennine's 102.5 transmitter). In the studio Viking's ads had blue cart labels, Hallam's green and Pennine's red and each break contained ads from each station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted this from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Radio_Network

Sounds like the YRN was originally from Hallam but transferred to Viking when they became part of the group.

10 hours of networking a day for a heritage station sounds controversial now - had Digital Spy existed then, would we have complained?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    YRN never came from Hallam!

In later years, following Hallam's move to Herries Road, a networked service called Night Tracks was broadcast from Sheffield. The networked AM service (Classic Gold) was also relocated from Hull to Sheffield around the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YRN never came from Hallam!

Damn, Wikipedia! I've just going to make an edit...