Can`t Afford a Flat? Move to Walford.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry golly2005, but I did listen to Shirley and she said that she had spoken to Denise`s landlord and he had agreed to rent her Denise`s old flat. Denise has a good job and I can`t imagine Chelsea would live in a dump. As Denise has two daughters it must be at least two bedroomed. Shirley might have money but she was very concerned to get a job so that she could pay the rent.
    When replying to posts you don`t show yourself in a good light by insulting other posters.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,052
    Forum Member
    First-Lady wrote:
    But how?

Look here this is a list of flats in and around London. None are under £100 today but if you check back in the week you will find a few.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?submit_type=search&search_form=map&bedrooms_max=99&tag=qs&order_by=price+desc&per_page=10&search_type=LL&price_to=175&bedrooms=0&location_ids=&keyword_value=Area+or+Postcode

How much are Council rents thesedays anyway? last time I had a council house was 2002 and we had to pay £95 a week then for a 2 bedroom. That was in Ealing!

Maybe more research is needed before people comment on things they seem to know little about. Its only the big flats in and around the rich areas of London that cost a bomb.

Believe me, if you want anything that has 2 or more bedrooms, you'll pay through your nose. We are also comparing these to how the flats look in Eastenders, and Denises was in very good condition.

A studio in the EE area is around £150 per week. Thats a studio with no bedroom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just last week we had Garry, Minty and Naomi deciding to buy their flat in desperation after trying to rent another flat. Admittedly they wanted 3 bedrooms, but it does seem strange that a week later Shirley rents a two-bedroomed flat on her own.
    Okay, so it is a Soap? how many of the posters on this site take it very seriously?
    Kids run away to London every day, the more it is pointed out that it is extremely expensive to live in London the better.
    Corrie is different, some areas near Manchester are still comparitively cheap.
    I do know what I am talking about, I lived and still have family in London and I now live near Manchester.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    golly2005 wrote:
    here we go again :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Viewers are entitled to a bit of realism occasionally, especially as EE likes to boast that it is the most realistic of soaps
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is a soap fantasy of working class London, in the same way corrie is a fantasy of working class northerners!

Look at all the strange things in soapland..........
    They are all skint most of the time yet are seen in the pub drinking pints and spirits!
    They all work within a stones throw of their houses!
    When it snows they act like theve never seen snow in their lives before!
    They have no friends outwith the local area whier they live/work!
    When a new person arrives in the soapland they have a 'secret' which will be revealed at a later point in front of lots of folk.

I could go on but you get the idea, its soapland, a kinda lego land fantasy!

............and the fact nobody in Walford appears to possess a washing machine!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    First-Lady wrote:
    But how?

Look here this is a list of flats in and around London. None are under £100 today but if you check back in the week you will find a few.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?submit_type=search&search_form=map&bedrooms_max=99&tag=qs&order_by=price+desc&per_page=10&search_type=LL&price_to=175&bedrooms=0&location_ids=&keyword_value=Area+or+Postcode

How much are Council rents thesedays anyway? last time I had a council house was 2002 and we had to pay £95 a week then for a 2 bedroom. That was in Ealing!

Maybe more research is needed before people comment on things they seem to know little about. Its only the big flats in and around the rich areas of London that cost a bomb.

That link is showing either studio's or one bedroom flats, and it's still equating to nearly 800 quid a month. As far as I'm aware Denise's old flat isn't council, a two bedroom, close to tube with good links to central London is going to cost a bomb to rent, in the area where I work which is further out, but has a decent tube link, when talking about a 2 bed you're talking 900 quid upwards, and 900 will only get you a shoe box.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact is that Gary and Minty, both in full time employment needed a third person in full time employment to help pay the rent on their flat, albeit it has 3 bedrooms.
  • hattersfanhattersfan Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moro_bar wrote:
    its ridiculous, she must be on like minimum wage for a few hours every morning b4 the pub opens.....yet she is renting a 2 bed flat in east london

hilarious

Even if she's being paid cash in hand it's likely that the pay will be about a fiver an hour. Let's say two hours a day without a day off and that's £70. That might just pay half a weeks rent even in that run down pat of the capital.

Ridiculous.
  • hattersfanhattersfan Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just last week we had Garry, Minty and Naomi deciding to buy their flat in desperation after trying to rent another flat. Admittedly they wanted 3 bedrooms, but it does seem strange that a week later Shirley rents a two-bedroomed flat on her own.
    Okay, so it is a Soap? how many of the posters on this site take it very seriously?
    Kids run away to London every day, the more it is pointed out that it is extremely expensive to live in London the better.
    Corrie is different, some areas near Manchester are still comparitively cheap.
    I do know what I am talking about, I lived and still have family in London and I now live near Manchester.

And why did Minty get so glassy eyed at the thought of being a part owner of the flat? Just a couple of years ago he was a Rachmanesque slum landlord who took great pleasure in brutally evicting his tenants. He then did the same job for Philth and was always handy with his fists and feet if anyone didn't pay up on time.

What happened to the bully's property empire and how did he turn into a comedy figure who is as soft as he is supid when he was previously such a vicious and streetwise character?
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    hattersfan wrote:
    And why did Minty get so glassy eyed at the thought of being a part owner of the flat? Just a couple of years ago he was a Rachmanesque slum landlord who took great pleasure in brutally evicting his tenants. He then did the same job for Philth and was always handy with his fists and feet if anyone didn't pay up on time.

What happened to the bully's property empire and how did he turn into a comedy figure who is as soft as he is supid when he was previously such a vicious and streetwise character?

He didn't own Kenwyn House, just ran it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,397
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote:
    Viewers are entitled to a bit of realism occasionally, especially as EE likes to boast that it is the most realistic of soaps
    Exactly. We all know it's not real, thank you very much. But soaps are supposed to reflect real life. EastEnders is about as far divorced from it as you can get.

I have to pay £500 a month rent for a shared student flat in a not particularly nice part of London. There is absolutely no way a part-time pub cleaner, probably earning £80 a week max, could afford the rent for a nice two-bedroom flat not far from Central London.
  • golly2005golly2005 Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry golly2005, but I did listen to Shirley and she said that she had spoken to Denise`s landlord and he had agreed to rent her Denise`s old flat. Denise has a good job and I can`t imagine Chelsea would live in a dump. As Denise has two daughters it must be at least two bedroomed. Shirley might have money but she was very concerned to get a job so that she could pay the rent.
    When replying to posts you don`t show yourself in a good light by insulting other posters.

so u trying to say that when shirley arrived in the square she has to be broke NOOO money what so ever , we dont know if shirley had a flat of her own before walford , it seems to me evreytime eastenders introduce new charecters someone wants to pick at it ...
  • theanchorage8theanchorage8 Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    golly2005 wrote:
    so u trying to say that when shirley arrived in the square she has to be broke NOOO money what so ever , we dont know if shirley had a flat of her own before walford , it seems to me evreytime eastenders introduce new charecters someone wants to pick at it ...

well we cant say for sure she had no cash...but she hardly looks like she does...she aint spending it on clothes anyway....freezing in this weather poor woman...

i agree though she could have cash from somewhere...we dont know the first thing about her...parents? bro/sisters?? im sure we will find out....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,397
    Forum Member
    golly2005 wrote:
    If they'd said that then fair enough. But they wrote in a way that suggested she couldn't afford the flat because she didn't have a job. But as soon as Peggy offered her a cleaning job, which would amount to little more than pocket money, she was suddenly flush enough to afford the rent for a fairly spacious two-bed flat. I don't think so. :rolleyes:
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    hattersfan wrote:

Very well remembered. A point I made to my family a month or so ago.
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    He didn't own Kenwyn House, just ran it.

Either way, he was still a thug and bully of lone women (remember Shirley number 1 with the cat 'boots'?). Now he's the soft and squashy 'unlucky in love' teddy bear type character.

Come to think of it, wasn't he responsible for killing 'Boots' and leaving it on Shirley's doorstep for her to find in a carrier bag?
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    No, that was another character called Gavin, he never interacted with Shirley at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,573
    Forum Member
    They seem to do this with many of the characters who they previously bring in as Mr Tough and Nasty.... Andy, Dennis, Johnny, all turned soft.

It seems to be only the women they like to keep evil ie Cindy and Janine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    its not real you know.... :)

Oh my God!
    All of us north of Watford thought it was a real-time documentary.
    Are you seriously telling us that Fat Pat is an actress?
    That I cannot believe. :)