Mary Portas collection at House of Fraser

chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
Forum Member
Anyone yet had a look at her fashion range which has just been launched?

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Mary+Portas/MaryPortas,default,pg.html

I remember her starting a campaign on her website ages ago asking for 'real' and 'grown up' women to contact her with suggestions so that her collection could give 'real' and 'grown up' women what they wanted but couldn't get currently on the High Street.

Then she went quiet because David Cameron had employed her as an advisor or something.

Well, the Mary Portas range is here.

And is it my imagination or is every item on there designed to suit Mary's own body shape?

So much for giving 'real' and 'grown up' women a choice.

The trousers are mostly really skinny drainpipes.
How many can get away with that style?

And even if they can, there are loads of them available on the High Street.
So what's so different about Mary's new collection, then?

I can't see anything different.

And I'm rather disappointed.

I really thought Mary would at least give us some trousers that fit.

These ridiculous low slung hipster style ones with skinny legs have been monopolising the high street for far too long now.

To be fair, she has a pair of ankle boots on there that I like but at £110 I won't be in a hurry to get them.

There's a recession on, Mary.

Some of us are looking for lower prices than that.

Am I alone in my thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come she gets a free ad on tv in a form of a tv show ? She just seems greedy now insted of trying to help people. Her own fashion choices scream fashion victim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I went to have a look at her 'collection' wheni was in london in August. I was NOT impressed at all, it seemed very self indulgent to me and a range of clothes only suitable for a woman of her body shape. I laughed at the shoes....great for if you travel in a taxi and are dropped outside your office and are sitting down all day otherwise completely impracticle. I picked up one coat and it was over £400 and such a high trend item that you couldn't wear next year as it would be out of date. Its about time that woman joined the 'real' world.

Oh i would love someone to put a collection together for woman who:

Have kids
    Are on their feet all day
    Walk to work
    Live in a rural area
    Are a pear shape and not stick thin and 6ft tall
    Is on a BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!

Then i would imagine they would make a small fortune.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manor-girl wrote: »
    I went to have a look at her 'collection' wheni was in london in August. I was NOT impressed at all, it seemed very self indulgent to me and a range of clothes only suitable for a woman of her body shape. I laughed at the shoes....great for if you travel in a taxi and are dropped outside your office and are sitting down all day otherwise completely impracticle. I picked up one coat and it was over £400 and such a high trend item that you couldn't wear next year as it would be out of date. Its about time that woman joined the 'real' world.

Have kids
    Walk to work
    Live in a rural area
    Is on a BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who did that would be fantastic. Especially if they accept not all short people are a size 8. sometimes you get short fat people who need clothes.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it looks like she completely ignored the women she was using as "testers" then. and since when was £400 an affordable price for a coat! :eek: What made me laugh was the way she was making out that women over 40 are ignored fashion-wise, but then had a sneering attitude about over 60s clothing and the type of women who buy them. As that woman who worked in HoF said, fascinators are very popular, Just cos La Portas doesn't like them, snotty cow.
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the program last night since i do rather like Mary Portas.
    However then when i looked online at the range of products i have to say i agree with all of you, she seems to have based all the clothes on herself & not "real women".
    I thought that woman on the show did right sending her a mannequin of her actual body, but Mary didn't seem too impressed with it... Would have been better if she had done a range based on that.
    As skinny drainpipe trousers don't suit everyone!

As for the prices :eek: I thought it was going to be "affordable" fashion!!! i wouldn't call £100+ for a blouse in any way affordable unless you are a very high earner!

I'm only in my 20s so not in her targeted market.. but i do think she's completely missed that market herself.. will be interested to see how long it lasts.....
    My mum is in that age range & there is no way she would pay the prices!
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    So it looks like she completely ignored the women she was using as "testers" then. and since when was £400 an affordable price for a coat! :eek: What made me laugh was the way she was making out that women over 40 are ignored fashion-wise, but then had a sneering attitude about over 60s clothing and the type of women who buy them. As that woman who worked in HoF said, fascinators are very popular, Just cos La Portas doesn't like them, snotty cow.

Yes she did completely ignore her testers.

And she fails to see the irony in the situation - she trumpets that real women over 40 are ignored by the High Street and then ignores real women over 40.

Her collection does NOT give real women any more choice.
    How many of her testers could be comfy in the trousers in her new collection?

Pear shaped ladies wouldn't get their thighs in them.
    Apple shaped ladies would get their thighs in them but wouldnt be able to fasten the zips.

And I'm not talking about obese ladies, either. I'm talking about REAL women.

As I said in my OP - before this show aired, I am really disappointed in her because I believed this collection really would cater for real women.

As I said, she's just produced a collection for her own body shape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    My mum watched the program and asked me to look up the collection online and let her see it...lets just say she was not bowled over..!

She said she wouldnt wear any of them in a million years unless she was going to a fancy dress party or going for a job as a circus clown AND they were ridiculously overpriced!

And my mum is supposedly the target market! Nice going, Mary! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Ive emailed Mary with my thoughts - how about everyone else does too?

She might take notice?
    Worth a try?
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive emailed Mary with my thoughts - how about everyone else does too?

She might take notice?
    Worth a try?

I doubt it. She'd probably think we are all ruffians, with no fashion sense!!! How did you get her email address? :confused:
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. She'd probably think we are all ruffians, with no fashion sense!!! How did you get her email address? :confused:

She's got a website and there a several email addresses on there for various subjects. One is about the High Street project.

I figured it was worth a try.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if I hadn't known it was MP clothing i would have just thought I was looking at a regular range in Debenhams or Dottie P's. Apart from the price of course, waaaay over priced for your average woman.

Style wise I would wear it, but I'm 35 so not quite in her target market.

I was quite looking forward to being able to relax and wear comfy clothes with elasticated waistbands when I get older and not worry about what I look like so much. By the time I get to that age it won't be acceptable.
    Forum Member
    On this week's tv show about this House of Fraser collection, Mary continues to ignore the women she recruited to help her create clothes to fit real women over 40.

Last week, one of her volunteers sent her a life size dummy of her own body shape so that Mary could take that into account when designing her clothing range.

Mary ignored it.
    Now that lady is trying on the clothes Mary has designed, and is finding nothing suitable and when she voices her opinion, Mary is ignoring her comments and the lady is being made to feel like she is just being awkward.

Maybe if Mary had taken into account the body dummy the lady sent and had listened to her requests then just maybe the lady might have actually liked something.

But she was shouted down.

Look, Mary, if you just wanted women with your body shape and who will just say yes to everything you say, then what was the point of asking women to volunteer for this project?

I have always enjoyed Mary's shows, and have always found her to talk sense.
    But since this clothing range came out and this tv series was broadcast I have found myself going off her.

She just seems to now be of the opinion that she is right and everyone else is wrong.

I'm thinking that Gok would be a better person to design real clothes for real women.
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that Gok would be a better person to design real clothes for real women.

He has, it was launched in Sainburys last week.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I've been watching the programme as I like Mary Portas and think she talks some sense most of the time but looking at her collection i'm not convinced your average 40/50 something would wear half of it(and that is nothing against them). There are a couple of really nice dresses but a lot of it would look like mutton dressed as lamb on your average 50 something woman. The Skinny leather trousers for example, just don't seem to me something that your average woman in her 50's (the target audience she was aiming for) would wear. It does look like Mary has done this all around what she likes and thinks people should wear.
    Forum Member
    And I'm beginning to think she doesn't REALLY want to hear people's opinions.
    She seems to just want to tell us what we should like.

Sorry, Mary. It doesn't work like that.

If you give us what we want we will buy.

But we won't buy just because it has your name on the label.
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »
    He has, it was launched in Sainburys last week.

oooh, he has?

I'll go and take a peek.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the ankle boots in Mary's collection - that's about all, but at #110.00 are way out of my price range.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Her clothes are seriously, seriously vile. How can she get away with pricing her products at a designer diffusion range price point when she is NOT a fashion designer?

Why would anyone want to emulate Mary Portas' style - she always looks like a fashion victim.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything like the stuff she had on telly, Im not interested... IM 64 and wouldnt wear the flowery shift dress, or shapeless tent she tried to make some women wear..
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    I like the ankle boots in Mary's collection - that's about all, but at #110.00 are way out of my price range.

There's loads similar on the net for a fraction of the price.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the women who wrote to her came in to test the collection and didn't like a single item. Instead of taking her criticisms on board Mary told her that the tester was making her upset, and she had spent a long time on that collection - the implication being that the woman had no right to dislike them.
    On this week's tv show about this House of Fraser collection, Mary continues to ignore the women she recruited to help her create clothes to fit real women over 40.

Actually she called it "terrifying" and began crying when she realised she was so out of her depth and had no idea how to cater for that body type!

We definitely need clothes made for all sizes and shapes of women but this collection is not the answer.

When the owner describes this as "the best dress in the collection" you know there's a problem:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/on/demandware.static/Sites-Site/Sites-hof-Library/default/00/BRANDS/M/MaryPortas/7EasyPieces/7-easy-pieces-01_01.jpg
    Forum Member
    One of the women who wrote to her came in to test the collection and didn't like a single item. Instead of taking her criticisms on board Mary told her that the tester was making her upset, and she had spent a long time on that collection - the implication being that the woman had no right to dislike them.

Actually she called it "terrifying" and began crying when she realised she was so out of her depth and had no idea how to cater for that body type!

We definitely need clothes made for all sizes and shapes of women but this collection is not the answer.

When the owner describes this as "the best dress in the collection" you know there's a problem:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/on/demandware.static/Sites-Site/Sites-hof-Library/default/00/BRANDS/M/MaryPortas/7EasyPieces/7-easy-pieces-01_01.jpg

Yep, she's definitely been rumbled.

I emailed her when the collection came out - back in August, was it?

Still no acknowledgement.

I thought the way she spoke to the volunteer lady who didn't like anything told us lots about the real Mary.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. The volunteer lady was a bit abrupt, perhaps rude, but Mary's reaction was no better and was really unprofessional.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manor-girl wrote: »

Have kids
    Walk to work
    Live in a rural area
    Is on a BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!

Try Oxfam.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not in Mary's target age range but I watched her shows and I've looked at the range on the website. I think that the 7 basics range is good - most of those clothes would suit multiple body shapes and are fairly age ambiguous.
    The rest of the range however, I can't really see any woman over 50 other than Mary herself and Anne Robinson wearing. My Mum and Auntie are both professional women who always look well dressed and styled - and I can't see them wearing a single thing in that collection. There's too much black, and I read that black is aging and drains the colour of your skin. Fine if you're a teenage goth filled with angst, but softer, warmer colours are supposed to be less harsh on the older complexion, and I guess that is why you don't see many ladies walking around in black leather skirts and trousers, wearing black eyeliner! I'm not saying that anybody over 50 should have to wear cardigans, pearls and elasticated waist trousers, but I don't see Mary's range becoming the new must-have clothing collection either. There's a middle ground between flowery blouses and black leather skinny trousers, and most of the women I know seem to have found it.
    I also think that most of the clothes are very overpriced, for what they are. If the range is for 'real women' then it should reflect a real woman's budget, and I don't think there are many people who could / would buy multiple items from Mary's range.
    I admire Mary's 'take no bulls*t' attitude, but I think that she might have misread her target audience.