Midnight mass what church??

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Me and the family are planning on going to Midnight mass Christmas eve and we have a few churches near us and wanted to know what the best would be to go to?

We dont want anything heavy but we have a Roman catholic doing one tomorrow night and wanted to know if anyone has been to one and as we dont go to church any other time of the year would we be welcomed?

Also the same for Christmas day service please.

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Which religion are you?
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP: of course you'd be welcomed at the church, but this isn't about religion, is it? It's tourism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stay home in the warmth instead. eat some chocolate. bloody cold outside
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Which religion are you?
    I would say we don't really have one but we see going to midnight mass as part of Christmas and fun for the kids to sing carols.
  • frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you've got a Roman Catholic version ahead of you on Christmas Eve - I don't envy you. Could, and will, go on for hours. And hours. It's so you pay to get out of the damned place. Feign illness, become Muslims. Anything but

The Anglican version isn't any better. Go for a Lutheran church if you feel the need to be religious at Christmas time
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    frangipane wrote: »
    Well, if you've got a Roman Catholic version ahead of you on Christmas Eve - I don't envy you. Could, and will, go on for hours. And hours. It's so you pay to get out of the damned place. Feign illness, become Muslims. Anything but

The Anglican version isn't any better. Go for a Lutheran church if you feel the need to be religious at Christmas time

Their services literally took hours as well. The sermon could be an hour or two, and when Bach was at Leipzig, they would perform usually two cantatas either side of the sermon and most of those are around 20 minutes.

Not to mention that there are liturgically only very subtle differences between Eucharist (well, probably Common Worship order I) and the Catholic Mass and the Lutheran service is very similar. Eucharist from the Book of Common Prayer is subtly different, the most notable is that the Gloria in excelsis - omitted during the periods of penance in Advent and Lent - comes at the *end* of the service and not (as in CWI and the Mass) immediately following the Kyrie eleison, near the start of the service.

If you just want somewhere for your kids to sing some carols then I don't suppose where you actually go matters much...
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Head over to St.Oswald's in Bradford.

See my best friend do his thang at the altar. His first year as a curate
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Church of 10yo Malt Whiskey

A prayer to St Glenfarclas methinks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    The Church of 10yo Malt Whiskey

A prayer to St Glenfarclas methinks.

I'll sing off that hymn sheet.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shall be spending the Xmas Eve celebrating at the altar of my local!!!
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to a RC Midnight Mass. They're so much more dignified compared to the Anglican attempt.

The Midnight Mass at a RC church, usually lasts just over an hour.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going for your kids benefit, why not go to a non-denominational Church? I find they're much more family friendly than many of the straitjacketed Anglican and Roman Catholic churches.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I like my anglo catholic church when I feel the need to go. I haven't been since the last vicar went but he was lovely and always talked about his dogs and pets and loving animal stories I nejoyed his sermons at Christmas time as they always involved some merry jape with a naughty dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you phone them up and ask them what kind of midnight service they're having?

Years ago I used to go to a lovely village one where I lived which had carols and was very light. Then the vicar changed to a more 'high' church one. I wasn't very popular when I dragged my family along to a very serious, dreary service in the middle of the night!
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote: »
    Me and the family are planning on going to Midnight mass Christmas eve and we have a few churches near us and wanted to know what the best would be to go to?

We dont want anything heavy but we have a Roman catholic doing one tomorrow night and wanted to know if anyone has been to one and as we dont go to church any other time of the year would we be welcomed?

Also the same for Christmas day service please.
    Midnight Mass at my church is usually half full of happy drunks on their way home, so no one will notice that you don't normally attend. I've been a few times, but really don't see the appeal - might as well stay in the warmth and go in the morning instead.