Who Decides What Films Are Shown Each Week?

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
My local six screen Cineworld has for some strange reason decided not to show Hitchcock. Out of this weeks three big film releases I would have thought Hitchcock is the biggest release. And yet this Cineworld is showing both Warm Bodies and I Give It A Year but not Hitchcock. They did have an unlimited exclusive showing of it one night which seems even more odd. So who exactly makes these decisions? Is it the cinema manager? Or a team at head office? Why should one town get the film and another is denied it? Especially with quite a high profile release like this.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My local cinema has "Hitchcock", "Life of Pi","Quartet", "Wreck It Ralph" but no "Warm Bodies".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Erm, this weeks THREE releases? Wreck-It-Ralph, Hitchcock, I Give It A Year, Warm Bodies (and those are just the big ones, excluding re-releases)
    As well as Bullet to The Head, Hyde Park on Hudson, Flight, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Quartet
    and the continuation of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Life of Pi
    with Run For Your Wife and This is 40 opening on thursday

Hitchock is an indie biopic competing against that lot, it doesn't really stand a chance...
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have two Cinemas in your town/city, the Box office films will appear in both but the smaller films will complement each other by having that the other does not and vice versa.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    My local six screen Cineworld has for some strange reason decided not to show Hitchcock. Out of this weeks three big film releases I would have thought Hitchcock is the biggest release. And yet this Cineworld is showing both Warm Bodies and I Give It A Year but not Hitchcock. They did have an unlimited exclusive showing of it one night which seems even more odd. So who exactly makes these decisions? Is it the cinema manager? Or a team at head office? Why should one town get the film and another is denied it? Especially with quite a high profile release like this.

1 - Is there any other Cineworlds in your area as that can influence if they show it or not.

For example Aberdeen has 2 Cineworlds one in the City Centre and one at the beach when the City Centre cinema is running out of room it moves the older films to the beach cinema. Some releases have not been shown at the beach because of this causing capacity problems films like The Impossible and Hitchcock have not been shown at the beach.

2 - Wreck It Ralph is the weeks biggest release selling out most of it's performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    The Distrubutor negotiates with the cinema, and they come to a deal on what film is shown

Films are decided on demographic, so it would be silly to show Hitchcock of the area consist of young teenagers with 2 universities close by with several high schools.

The distributors get things spot on 95% of the time, from experience they are very precise with their timings and selections.
    Forum Member
    Meanwhile, Fox’s Hitchcock opened with a $955,000 (£608,835) debut from its 407 sites to chart eighth.
    See, this is what I mean about how precise they are, new film like Hitchcock came in at number 8, extactly why they didn't release it at some sites or keep it in the small screens.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    The Distrubutor negotiates with the cinema, and they come to a deal on what film is shown

Films are decided on demographic, so it would be silly to show Hitchcock of the area consist of young teenagers with 2 universities close by with several high schools.

The distributors get things spot on 95% of the time, from experience they are very precise with their timings and selections.

Strangely enough I live in Eastbourne, a town that is famous for being populated with over 60's! So you would think Hitchcock would be ideal.
    See, this is what I mean about how precise they are, new film like Hitchcock came in at number 8, extactly why they didn't release it at some sites or keep it in the small screens.

Really surprised about this. I was away in Rochester at the weekend so got to see Hitchcock there and it was hugely entertaining. I thought it more entertaining than Les miserable which I saw last week and thought it was heavy going and far too long.
    Forum Member
    A quick google shows you have a Curzon Cinema in Eastbourne, presuming most of the older folks would prefer to go there than the multiplex.

Are the two cinemas stores quite close by? If so that's probably the main reason then.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    A quick google shows you have a Curzon Cinema in Eastbourne, presuming most of the older folks would prefer to go there than the multiplex.

Are the two cinemas stores quite close by? If so that's probably the main reason then.

The Curzon is in the middle of the town centre. Its been there for about 75 years. The multiplex is about 6 miles from the town centre in the harbour area on one of those out of town sites a lot of these multiplexes are in. So I wouldn't say they are nearby.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And it's showing Hitchcock!

However it doesn't appear to be part of the Curzon chain of cinemas for older folks but an independent that shows multiplex-type films a little after the multiplexes have shown them.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I would have thought the Cinema manager would decide what films to show - and he will be concerned about Bums on seat - if you have an Art Cinema (Norwich in Norfolk is lucky it has Cinema City for this) then see if they are showing Hitchcock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Argo came out my local Cineworld didn't have it on, I badgered them on Twitter a few times and they said it might be on if it does well. it finally appeared after a month on release! They only gave it one showing a day I think too, and now look at it, winning awards left and right!

(Wakefield Cineworld btw)