Options

Why was Alfie getting so riled up by Max?

NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
Forum Member
✭✭
Not to sound critical, as maybe I'm missing something here or forgotten a little detail from the past. While Jim's family was angry with that speech, Alfie was about to stand up and do something right before Billy stopped him.

Was he very close to Jim? I remember he used to work at the Vic, was that when the Moons owned it the first time?

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    He probably just didn't think it was appropriate at a funeral (which really it wasn't) so wanted it stopped before it upset people.

I'd feel uncomfortable if i was in a funeral congregation and somebody started doing that, i'd want it stopped because I'd think it would upset the rest of the family and also the person doing it would regret it in time.

As part of the Undertakers he possibly thought it was even more his business until again, rightly, Billy stopped him. Because it isn't the hired helps place to stop something like that, it would be a famiy member. Like when Terry Raymond stopped Simon from attacking the Mitchell's at Tiffany's funeral if you remember that.

Alfie and Jim did live in the same Square for several years, during the time that Jim was friendly, non racist etc so possibly also didn't recognise the man Max was describing.

They weren't especially close no, but he will have known him as a regular at the Vic.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Because Max was well out of order. He wasn't talking to Jim, because he couldn't hear him. He was hurting Dot, Abi, Sonia etc., and all because he was upset over the stolen motors.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    He probably just didn't think it was appropriate at a funeral (which really it wasn't) so wanted it stopped before it upset people.

I'd feel uncomfortable if i was in a funeral congregation and somebody started doing that, i'd want it stopped because I'd think it would upset the rest of the family and also the person doing it would regret it in time.

As part of the Undertakers he possibly thought it was even more his business until again, rightly, Billy stopped him. Because it isn't the hired helps place to stop something like that, it would be a famiy member. Like when Terry Raymond stopped Simon from attacking the Mitchell's at Tiffany's funeral if you remember that.

Alfie and Jim did live in the same Square for several years, during the time that Jim was friendly, non racist etc so possibly also didn't recognise the man Max was describing.

They weren't especially close no, but he will have known him as a regular at the Vic.

BIB - Yeah I kind of remember Simon's speech at Tiff's funeral. He mentioned she always gave and never took. I know how popular Grant is on here, but it's worth remembering how violent and abusive he was to Tiffany. He bullied the poor girl right until her death. That was Grant's worst phase. Peggy also had a go at Dot when she mentioned Grant's bullying ways and said she'd have run away a long time ago if she was married to someone like that.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Because Max was well out of order. He wasn't talking to Jim, because he couldn't hear him. He was hurting Dot, Abi, Sonia etc., and all because he was upset over the stolen motors.

If my dad was anything like Jim, I would of had a word or two to say at his funeral!
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid scene
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    If my dad was anything like Jim, I would of had a word or two to say at his funeral!

Well in situations like funerals, discretion is the better part of valour. As i said in the episode thread, it really is a case where if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Or even just stay away out of respect for the people attending that did have love for the deceased.

But unfortunately, Max and Carol didn't have that option. As the children living close by, they had to organise it and even though neither of them wanted to do an eulogy due to their difficult relationships with Jim, they were forced into it by Dot.

He hadn't prepared an eulogy, he had to do it off the cuff and despite trying at first, he couldn't keep his own feelings, from his memories of his childhood to his current problems from spilling over.

It was the wrong thing to do morally, but i can understand Max here and feel sorry for him as he shouldn't have been made to do it in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stupid scene

What was stupid about it? Could you elaborate?
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Did Jim work at the Vic when Alfie was running it?
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Because he's Alfie Moon the cheeky loveable chappy and everybody is meant to think he's a stand up guy.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Just typical Alfie sticking his nose in where it's not wanted
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »

It's probably best to say it to his face when he's alive....he can't hear you when he's dead.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Probably because he liked Jim and thought that Max was out of order.

Even though Max and Carol knew a different Jim to Dot, Alfie, Patrick, Sonia and Abi, a funeral isn't really the right place to blow up like that!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    B*witched wrote: »
    Because he's Alfie Moon the cheeky loveable chappy and everybody is meant to think he's a stand up guy.

And he has a belt buckle to prove it!:-D