Options

What's wrong with Tom?

ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed on the forum poll this week that Tom Chambers is languishing third from the bottom, with more votes only than Cherie (who has already left) and Lisa (who didn't dance very well this week by judges scores). In a week where Tom did an entertaining salsa with relatively few mistakes, why is he not higher up?

I've heard the smug tag touted around a lot, but what is it about Tom that people find unappealing? Why does he not inspire the same loyal following that some of the others do?

And in previous years, people (e.g. Emma Bunton) who scored highly with the judges but didn't do well on the polls here ended up being voted into the dance off as soon as the couple numbers started dwindling. Is this Tom's fate this year?

Comments

• Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with Tom?

How long have you got?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres nothing wrong withg Tom. Hes better then Austin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with Tom?

[Huge gap]

How long have you got?

So what don't you like about him? :)
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was popular on that programme Holby and would have lots of fans.
  • Options
    novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    theres nothing wrong withg Tom. Hes better then Austin.

agreed!! He's my favourite. Thoroughly enjoying it all, working hard, full of bounce and happiness. And able to laugh at himself and give full credit to Camilla for her brilliance!
    :D
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His latin is stronger than Austin's, but there's nothing particularly loveable about him.
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    And in previous years, people (e.g. Emma Bunton) who scored highly with the judges but didn't do well on the polls here ended up being voted into the dance off as soon as the couple numbers started dwindling. Is this Tom's fate this year?

This is a more indicative poll - it usually tallies with our polls, but this year it's been more predictive than our DS poll.

(Sorry there's no site url - I can't cut and paste the poll and the url at the same time!)

Who was your favourite week 9 couple?

Rachel & Vincent
    435 28.1%

Austin & Erin
    297 19.2%

John & Kristina
    243 15.7%

Tom & Camilla
    213 13.8%

Christine & Matt
    130 8.4%

Jodie & Ian
    99 6.4%

Cherie & James
    73 4.7%

Lisa & Brendan
    56 3.6%

Number of Voters : 1546
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I'm going with:

smug, himbo, no-personality-of-his-own-like-most-actors-and-Camilla-as-well

Other than that, he's delightful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His latin is stronger than Austin's, but there's nothing particularly loveable about him.

But what exactly is he missing? Charisma? Big muscles?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom is an actor....he probably has worked to hard in all his life........lol lol
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with him personally in my view but he dances in a very weird camp way which I think would put a lot of women off and also the men who are interested.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's impressed me week in week out with his dancing. He's the only one that's had solid good weeks. And everytime he's on ITT, I think he comes across as decent guy. I don't dislike him, but I just like other contestants more :) I'm drawn to people who are a bit more grit and mess. Tom is almost too perfect.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going with:

smug, himbo, no-personality-of-his-own-like-most-actors-and-Camilla-as-well

Other than that, he's delightful.

Smug - I don't think.

Himbo - That having no brains. I think you find that's rugby players who've been kick in the head too often.

No Personality - sweet and charming is what the rest of us call that.

Camilla - one of the best pros on the show.

Sounds like a winning package to me.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that poll - very interesting. Does it vary a lot from week to week?

It's funny because earlier today I was wondering why there doesn't seem (to me) to be a very active 'appreciation' thread for Tom, considering his ability, looks, etc. But I think he's much more popular than you'd think from reading DS. Most people I know mention him as their favourite or second favourite.

I think there is maybe a lack of chemistry between Tom and Camilla. I also have to confess that last Saturday he was dancing the salsa (very well and not pulling a face) but I couldn't enjoy it and the thought that went through my head was 'You're so not Gethin.' I couldn't help it, that was what I thought. I'm not saying that feeling is affecting anyone else, but it must be affecting me to some extent.

John Barrowman saying he had obviously had training and it wasn't fair won't have helped either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tom is nice, but I dont like Camila, never have......the dances always seem to be about her not her student.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »

It's funny because earlier today I was wondering why there doesn't seem (to me) to be a very active 'appreciation' thread for Tom, considering his ability, looks, etc. But I think he's much more popular than you'd think from reading DS. Most people I know mention him as their favourite or second favourite.

I think there is maybe a lack of chemistry between Tom and Camilla. I also have to confess that last Saturday he was dancing the salsa (very well and not pulling a face) but I couldn't enjoy it and the thought that went through my head was 'You're so not Gethin.' I couldn't help it, that was what I thought. I'm not saying that feeling is affecting anyone else, but it must be affecting me to some extent.

John Barrowman saying he had obviously had training and it wasn't fair won't have helped either.

Tom self tauight a tap routine. Its nothing professional.

I think the last two weeks he is starting to have chemistry with Camilla. I think it was hard early on considering he was getting married (in case you forgot that little nugget!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought his salsa was brilliant and he is a far more natural and superior dancer to Gethin.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gethin was probably not as good technically on that particular dance but I did prefer his. I could always believe in his and Camilla's partnership but TomCam don't quite gel the same way for me.

I also think just possibly the fact of his previous dance experience puts some people off albeit subconciously. At the end of the day, many more people really like the contestants with no performing background as it's much more of an achievement when they do well. I call it the Emma Bunton Syndrome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, many more people really like the contestants with no performing background as it's much more of an achievement when they do well. I call it the Emma Bunton Syndrome.

So how come Alesha won?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with him personally in my view but he dances in a very weird camp way which I think would put a lot of women off and also the men who are interested.

That it for me as well, comes across as a really, really nice bloke off the dance floor, on the dance floor somehow manages to dance in a smug, camp manner and as for the face pulling :eek:

I'm not even sure how you can dance in a smug manner, but he somehow manages it :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CASPER1066 wrote: »
    I think Tom is nice, but I dont like Camila, never have......the dances always seem to be about her not her student.

Karen seems to also inspire the same negative feelings as Camilla for people on this fourm - but that didn't affect Ramps's popularity. I wonder how many people would be put off a celebrity just because of their professional partner?
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Tom self tauight a tap routine. Its nothing professional.

Just to be clear - I'm not saying Barrowman was right, I'm just saying that his saying it does not help Tom.

And thinking again, I'm not sure that the 'already could dance' perception is hurting Tom that much - I think it affects women celebs much more. As I say everyone I know likes him very much.

As for Gethin - it's personal taste. His salsa was a shock and felt thrilling and exciting. I don't think Tom gives the same feeling of breakthrough, or someone dancing outside themselves, obviously difficult when you're already very good - but I can see that he's technically excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hes only two votes below christine.
    I like Tom, hes not my favourite but i dont think he deserves this "smug" title hes been getting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't get this at all. So do Matthew Cutler, Ian Waite and even Brendan Cole all dance in this 'camp' manner . whatever camp dancing is.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was kinda neutral to him in the beginning. His AS was amazing, but his paso, though very competent, had the strangest expression! Even he admitted he's overdone it.

He said he'll 'act from within' for his Tango. Let's see if he can 'win me over' this Saturday with his Tango.

Other than that, he's actually quite a pleasant sort of person.