Options

Gin & Tonic

venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This lovely weather has got me craving a G&T or two!

I like it made with Hendricks gin, Fever Tree tonic, ice and a slice of cucumber. I've got all the necessary ingredients for my favourite G&T so I might treat myself later.

How do you like yours? Or do you think it's a horrible drink?

Comments

• Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Bombay Saphire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I love gin but hate tonic! I have it with lemonade and a slice of lime. Have you been to the Gin Garden at The New Ellington hotel in Leeds? Spoilt for choice there.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't really like gin and hate tonic.

I'll have gin in a cocktail with other spirits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah1982 wrote: »
    I love gin but hate tonic! I have it with lemonade and a slice of lime. Have you been to the Gin Garden at The New Ellington hotel in Leeds? Spoilt for choice there.

I haven't been yet but it is on the list of places to go! I've had a look at the menu and I really wouldn't know where to start, there are that many!

Gin was the first alcohol I got horribly drunk on and it took me 20 years to be able to enjoy gin :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't abide gin, this weather for me is all about an ice-cold beer. A Peroni or a Corona and lime. Or even a well chilled glass of Pinot Grigio.

(not that I am drinking at the moment, I am currently on the water !!)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I tried a G&T for the first time on holiday this year and it won't be something i'll be repeating.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My preferred summer tipple. Take a tall glass, add a whole lime chopped up, add lots of ice, a large shot of Tanqueray No 10, and fill up with Schweppes slimline tonic. Beautiful!
  • Options
    tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My preferred summer tipple. Take a tall glass, add a whole lime chopped up, add lots of ice, a large shot of Tanqueray No 10, and fill up with Schweppes slimline tonic. Beautiful!

Mmmm sound good, ideal on a hot sticky day like today, might just go and do that now (but with Bombay Saphire) :)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Limes are often on special offer in our market, so you can get ten or twelve in a net for a quid. When they do this, I buy a few nets, chop them all up into chunks and freeze them for lime ice cubes to go in gin. My preferred mixer for this is ginger ale.

Though I have recently discovered a Morrison's own brand flat lemonade. It is very lemony indeed and makes a stupendous mixer for gin.
    This is a better choice than gin and lemoncello, which is utterly delicious but rather too alcoholic for anyone who's supposed to be even remotely sensible. :D

In the pub, I just got for a G&T and when I find myself in anywhere that does reasonable cocktails, I always tend to go for something gin-based.

My name is Espresso and I am obviously a gin fiend.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Blackwoods Gin for me - so smooth you can drink it neat ;)
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try Fever Tree Tonic, it is wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like good gin, but you have to pay the price for it in and out.
    I have tried all sorts of gin in my time and now take it without cucumber, lime or lemon as I feel it taints the taste of the gin rather than compliment it.
    Fever Tree Tonic is a must for me, again it comes at a price, but I feel a price worth paying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    This is a better choice than gin and lemoncello, which is utterly delicious but rather too alcoholic for anyone who's supposed to be even remotely sensible. :D

Have a look at this site.
    It has some amazing cocktails on it that are Limoncello based.

I have a good friend who is a Mixologist and travels the world teaching his art within a certain hotel chain, his cocktails are amazing.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I bought some Fever Tree tonic tonic earlier, then got home and found out I had no gin, dammit. :(

Ne'er mind I'm happy enough with my beers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I bought some Fever Tree tonic tonic earlier, then got home and found out I had no gin, dammit. :(

Ne'er mind I'm happy enough with my beers.

That's what happened to me the other day. Bought the Fever Tree and came home to find the tiniest bit of Tanqueray left so I went back out and bought a bottle of Hendricks :D

I used my Nectar points so it only cost me £1.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    That's what happened to me the other day. Bought the Fever Tree and came home to find the tiniest bit of Tanqueray left so I went back out and bought a bottle of Hendricks :D

I used my Nectar points so it only cost me £1.

Tanqueray is my fave gin of all time. Never tried Hendricks though... I hear it's nice..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Love gin but I can't have many otherwise it sends me loopy. My favourite is Liverpool gin, Fever Tree (the best tonic ever) and a slice of watermelon. Couple of those on a hot day is just heaven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Limes are often on special offer in our market, so you can get ten or twelve in a net for a quid. When they do this, I buy a few nets, chop them all up into chunks and freeze them for lime ice cubes to go in gin. My preferred mixer for this is ginger ale.

Oh - WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS ??????

It never occurred to me to freeze chopped up limes or lemons for that matter.

So gin, frozen lime chunks and ginger ale is a good wee drinkie? What proportions do you suggest?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drink whiskey - single malt, neat.
    But OH likes a G and T, with Juniper Green organic gin, indian tonic water, ice and a slice of either lemon or lime.
    Very traditional.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Caorunn for me at the moment. Very aromatic and works with almost any fruit in it.
    I've given up on Gordons and cheapo stuff like Bombay Saphire for the moment. I've got Blackwoods, Caorunn, Hendricks, Boe and The Botanist on the go at the moment, depending on how I feel. The trouble is that diet tonic isn't very nice and I can't do the full sugar version (which is also why beer and cider is mainly out as well)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Oh - WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS ??????

It never occurred to me to freeze chopped up limes or lemons for that matter.

So gin, frozen lime chunks and ginger ale is a good wee drinkie? What proportions do you suggest?

I saw Gordon Ramsay suggest this and thought it was such a simple idea. I've told lots of people to do it since.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I love a good gin & tonic. It's a much under-rated drink.

For me, it is 50ml of Bombay Sapphire with 100ml Fever Tree tonic water; gin first, then ice, then tonic. Garnished with a lime wedge; as limes vary so much in flavour, it is worth adding a bit at a time to get the taste right.

I always make it in a rocks glass that I've chilled in the freezer and the tonic is from the fridge. I also use a single, large ice cube as this melts far more slowly so you get less dilution of the drink.

I have tried other gins and usually have Tanqueray (much more of an alcoholic bite to it) and Hayman's Old Tom (sweeter, so great for a Tom Collins - that's where the name comes from- or Gin Rickey) as well as Bombay Sapphire on hand. However, I find Bombay Sapphire quite well-balanced and a good all-rounder.

Gin has seen a welcome renaissance in the UK in recent years and there are some terrific artisanal gins out there. I have to say I haven't tried them as I don't drink gin straight and it is daft to put such a product in a cocktail.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Tanqueray is my fave gin of all time. Never tried Hendricks though... I hear it's nice..

Not Plymouth Dry, old boy? :p
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I think gin is a bit of an acquired taste. I used to hate it, but I like it now.

I'm not keen on Schweppes tonic - I find it a bit sweet and not bitter enough. Fever Tree tonic is great, but I'm currently in love with Bottle Green's Elderflower and Pomegranate tonic. I thought it would be too sweet and sickly but it's delicious. Just a hint of elderflower and the pomegranate is just to give it its pale pink colour. So pretty! It's lovely with vodka too.
  • Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received some Adnams gin for Christmas. It is delicious! I think Waitrose sell it.