Attack the Block is on .......

2»

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched the second half because I didn't know it was on, but I thought it was a brilliant film. I liked the bit at the end when Sam is in Moses's flat and she looks round and sees load's of kids toys and stuff and asks him how old he is. A classic scene.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shouldn't they have called the film defend the block?
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Aliens should have given Harry Brown a ring. Little gangsta lite chavvy morons wouldnt stand a chance then.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dexter Morgan is an anti-hero you can root for because even though he's a serial killer, he has some redeeming qualities and a "human" side.
    So do the chavs. Their humanity gives this film a flavour very different to typical Hollywood SF films. Made them seem a bit more real.

Seeing the film for the first time last night, I really enjoyed it. It was funny, in a "High Crusade" kind of way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I was actually surprised by this film, i quite enjoyed it. The main characters were incredibly annoying, but i found it entertaining just to laugh at them, especially the exaggerated chav speak (considering it's a "horror comedy" i assume that this was the intended reaction). That scene where they were all excited watching the aliens landing talking about "tooling" up" had me in stitches, lol.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I was actually surprised by this film, i quite enjoyed it. The main characters were incredibly annoying, but i found it entertaining just to laugh at them, especially the exaggerated chav speak (considering it's a "horror comedy" i assume that this was the intended reaction). That scene where they were all excited watching the aliens landing talking about "tooling" up" had me in stitches, lol.

I did love the irony of the brat pack laughing and sniggering at the upper class guy doing the chav speak.

I wasn't overawed by the film overall, there wasn't enough horror or comedy the main characters although fine still wasn't quite likeable for me and they weren't even anti-hero likeable apart from the kid with the hat. I probably won't watch it again but it was good enough to watch the one time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another negative view here. I stuck with it until they forced their way into the nurse's flat but I was already bored and irritated by the nonsensical dialogue from the kids. I gave up then. Disappointed as I was looking forward to it.

It did partly explain why the local morons here at Chez Ginge daub "Trust" and "Probz" on every flat surface for 3 square miles though. Turns out it IS because they are morons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the movie watched it with my kids. I could relate to the uk black Jamaican influenced way of speaking. Not sure how that makes them chavs?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it half-hour then gave up, found it boring and I couldn't understand a bloody word that was being said.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got round to watching this today.

Didn't really like the chav criminals or the aliens so pretty much a movie that had no likeable characters.

I reckon the movie could have been a lot better had they removed the chav, 'innit blood' element. Maybe 5 'normal' kids who weren't hoodie thieves.

The aliens weren't all that interesting either, massive black fluffy things with neon mouths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I avoided this film after seeing the trailer. The chavs put me off. I think I could only watch this film with the sound turned off and no subtitles.

It probably doesn't help that the dialogue is likely to be terrible too. You often find that a writer will write a character and then go completely over the top because they are writing wat they think they are like rather than what they actually are. So they may have a chav saying "innit" every other sentence, or a black character constantly speaking in a fake Jamaican accent when he/she was born in the UK and has never been to Jamaica.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Actors, eh? What's next, they'll be trying on different costumes and funny hats.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I avoided this film after seeing the trailer. The chavs put me off. I think I could only watch this film with the sound turned off and no subtitles.

It probably doesn't help that the dialogue is likely to be terrible too. You often find that a writer will write a character and then go completely over the top because they are writing wat they think they are like rather than what they actually are. So they may have a chav saying "innit" every other sentence, or a black character constantly speaking in a fake Jamaican accent when he/she was born in the UK and has never been to Jamaica.

Hahaha.... Thanks for the insight into the film you haven't actually watched :rolleyes:
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really disappointing movie - every year some average Britflick gets praised to the skies for being a brave new voice and taking Hollywood on at its own game, but is actually just a photocopy of a photocopy of a standard US genre flick. This was the 2011 version.