Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    So will I. First thing on Monday morning straight from iTunes. :D:D

Your money will still be going to Simon Cowell. :(
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he?:eek: perhaps someone like Alesha should come out and dis Simon Back:D
    " X-Factor is gettin on my wick"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether the money goes to Cowell or not is irrelevant. I have no problem with the man being rich, he's worked hard and made good deals for what he's got.

What I do have a problem with is s*** singers getting a No.1 album with precisely no effort involved on their part, and then having to listen to it every 10 seconds on the radio and in shops.

So RATM it is :D
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samiskim wrote: »
    Apparently Simon Cowell has been reported saying no-one will watch the Strictly Semi-Final. He displayed a bad case of sour grapes last year when Strictly won Best Entertainment Show.

I have news for Simon - I will be watching Strictly on Saturday and then switch over and see the remainder of X Factor.

I personally feel he is jealous of Strictly's success and deals with this by dissing the programme.

Message to Simon Cowell - I can't speak for the rest of Britain but I will watch Strictly - semi-final, final and Christmas Special - and if it clashes with X-Factor then my loyalties are with glitter balls and sequins. :D

Reasons to think Cowell is a prat part fifty million - I find him fairly odious to begin and this just builds on my dislke (btw - anyone else think that if something unpleasant happened to the entire panel of Britian's Got Talent it wouldn't be a tragedy?). Cowell is obviously ignoring the several million who do watch Strictly and message to Cowell - I wouldn't watch the X-factor unless I was paid a lot of money to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether the money goes to Cowell or not is irrelevant. I have no problem with the man being rich, he's worked hard and made good deals for what he's got.

What I do have a problem with is s*** singers getting a No.1 album with precisely no effort involved on their part, and then having to listen to it every 10 seconds on the radio and in shops.

So RATM it is :D

Which does nothing to solve your problem as the reason the shit singers will be on the radio every 10 seconds is because Simon Cowell has built an empire which allows him to create that situation.

You say whether or not the money goes to him is irrelevant and you don't have a problem if it does, when that's exactly the thing that has created the situation that you do have a problem with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katrinap wrote: »
    Which does nothing to solve your problem as the reason the shit singers will be on the radio every 10 seconds is because Simon Cowell his built an empire which allows him to create that situation.

You say whether or not the money goes to him is irrelevant and you don't have a problem if it does, when that's exactly the thing that has created the situation that you do have a problem with.

I thought this might come up. My response is that I can do nothing to stop Cowell being rich because of such singers, but I can do something to stop those singers polluting my ears.

I believe the RATM campaign was started to stop the TXF song being no.1, not to bring down Simon Cowell and all he stands for.

So the reason I have no problem with a man being rich for the reasons he is rich is that I can do nothing about it at all. I keep this in perspective by doing something about the things I can change.

Right, now i've been all rational about it, I'd like to say I think your response was snidey, patronising and rude and that you should grow up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

Will it? :(

I think it's the symbolism of trying to ruin the X Factor chart stranglehold that is the most appealing to me. :D For months X Factor related songs (usually by the celeb guests) end up rocketing into the top 10 purely because they performed on X Factor, don't get me started on Cheryl Cole. :D

I think Brucie should make a really subtle mention about this facebook campaign on tomorrow night's show. Give simon cowell a taste of his own medicine. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this might come up. My response is that I can do nothing to stop Cowell being rich because of such singers, but I can do something to stop those singers polluting my ears.

I believe the RATM campaign was started to stop the TXF song being no.1, not to bring down Simon Cowell and all he stands for.

So the reason I have no problem with a man being rich for the reasons he is rich is that I can do nothing about it at all. I keep this in perspective by doing something about the things I can change.

Right, now i've been all rational about it, I'd like to say I think your response was snidey, patronising and rude and that you should grow up.

In what way was it snidey, patronising or rude? Did I use insulting language towards you? Did I belittle your position on the issue? Did I mock you in some way? The only comment I can see which could be judged as being any of the things you mention is telling another poster to "grow up".

If you don't like someone challenging your view, you shouldn't be on a discussion forum. Calm down and have the debate, or don't, but there's no point getting abusive.

My position - and I'm taking extra care to try and express this in a way that can't be interpreted as some kind of attack against you - is that it is illogical to try to stop a product being successful by channeling more money into the business that makes that product. And if that point of view offends you, then I'm truly sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's unfortunate that the song picked to champion this X Factor backlash is a Sony one but I'm still all for it!

They have dominated and ruined the charts at Christmas for long enough. Awful bloody noise they make, and that ruination of one of my favourite songs last year was the final straw. :mad:

Plus I quite like Killing in the Name of anyways :D
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Has he?:eek: perhaps someone like Alesha should come out and dis Simon Back:D
    " X-Factor is gettin on my wick"

On a Radio4 interview on Woman's Hour this week, Alesha said that her loyalties were with the BBC.:)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cowbell isn't jealous, quite the opposite. He can't hide how pleased he is with XF ratings. That must be a lot of money for ads and phonecalls, so now he can buy himself whatever he does not have yet for Christmas. Island or something.
  • Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member

No it won't. It'll be going to Sony - which isn't a Simon Cowell company - and the band. Simon Cowell owns Syco which is distributed by Sony but he certainly doesn't own Sony which is a multi-national company.

There is rather a lot of music around at the moment which is on the Sony label, but it certainly isn't lining Mr Cowell's pockets, much as he might it to.

Definitely a case of sour grapes as far as I can see. Why would he even mention Strictly unless he's still worried about it. There are still 8 or 9 million people every week who are watching Strictly and a lot of those aren't watching the XF at all (myself included). I agree Strictly hasn't been as good this year, but equally neither has the XF by what I read in the papers. Three fairly nondescript finalists who no-one will remember after their one obligatory Christmas single and an album of covers out next year, then oblivion!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Force Ten wrote: »
    No it won't. It'll be going to Sony - which isn't a Simon Cowell company - and the band. Simon Cowell owns Syco which is distributed by Sony but he certainly doesn't own Sony which is a multi-national company...

Fair point, you're right. I was thinking about how the funds would continue to support his business, but of course that's not the same as him receiving the funds directly.
  • Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    The funds won't even support his business. Syco is a completely separate company that just happens to be distributed by Sony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony is not Simon Cowells company, Syco is thats under Sonys umbrella as is Rage Against The Machine, does Simon Bowel make money off PS3?

in other words Sony owns Cowell and Rage.

Buy it if you like, he was very very agitated at the press conference!

79p and money goes to the homeless! :D

As I would happily pay good money to annoy Simon Cowell that is actually a total bargin :D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think Simon is jealous, far from it. His show is getting MASSIVE ratings, ratings that TV people were saying were impossible to get now that we live in a multi channel era.

I watch the X Factor and I dont take it seriousley. I see it as more of a panto than anything else. But they do get some major intenational stars for the Sunday show and its this that is pulling the viewers in. Compare the likes of Robbie Williams, Lady GaGa, Mariah Carey, Beyonce etc to the old has beens that Strictly have on, its no contest is it? I dont ever hear people talk about Strictly outside of this forum really, but I do hear people talk about the X Factor all the time. On the bus, in the street, in Cafe's/pubs etc.

However I really dislike the way the show has ruined the Christmas #1. It was a big tradition in this country.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think Simon is jealous, far from it. His show is getting MASSIVE ratings, ratings that TV people were saying were impossible to get now that we live in a multi channel era.

I watch the X Factor and I dont take it seriousley. I see it as more of a panto than anything else. But they do get some major intenational stars for the Sunday show and its this that is pulling the viewers in. Compare the likes of Robbie Williams, Lady GaGa, Mariah Carey, Beyonce etc to the old has beens that Strictly have on, its no contest is it? I dont ever hear people talk about Strictly outside of this forum really, but I do hear people talk about the X Factor all the time. On the bus, in the street, in Cafe's/pubs etc.

However I really dislike the way the show has ruined the Christmas #1. It was a big tradition in this country.

I dislike that fact that most Xfactor first singles are usually cover versions.

Shows a lack of originality, and produces cynicism in me, that SC is not confident enough of his own "product" to risk a song which has not already proved popular to an earlier listening audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell has now said that he thinks the RATM campaign is a personal attack on him, whereas I think most people are actually making a personal attack on the music that would otherwise be No.1.

He's also admitted that most Xmas No 1s are rubbish...unwittingly opening up the field for a bit more abuse, I think :D
  • IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isopap wrote: »
    I've only ever watched the X-Factor when I visit friends who insist on watching it, I have never watched it on my own TV and don't plan on doing so. I refuse to watch a programme that makes money for a man who makes a living from being nasty to people :mad:

I will also be buying that Rage Against the Machine song next week :D
    Nooo!! As others have said that's a Cowell scam (allegedly).

If there has to be a muppet singing a cover version at number one for christmas, then let it be this one!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell has nothing to worry about from Strictly, that's true. The two shows have gone head to head and XFactor is well and truly on top.

I presume he was nudged into making the Strictly comment. Either way, it was somewhat childish, pointless and about as witty as a brick through the window.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of years ago Simon said he loved SCD and always taped it to watch so am surprised at this comment if indeed he did say it!

I am very fickle and one minute I hate Scowell with a vengeance then actually quite like him (draw the line at fancying him though!!)

While I do agree his shows churn out some dross we can hardly class them all as no hoper wannabees thinking Will Young, Leonie Lewis , JLS , and SuBo and many more who may not have made it in the music industry but are doing very well in the west end!

I agree about tired old covers but the reason is very simple for the winners song theydon't know who is going to win therefore have to do something generic which will sort of suit all voices and there is also the time schedule to get it out for xmas.

As for SCD, this is the first year i have been really tired of it. i hated the 2 hour shows(prob due to my short attention span!!) and am tried of the silly jokes and backbiting between the judges. The only highlight for me this year so far has been Flavia and Vincents Argentinian Tango and that is sad.

I won't be buying XF winners single and nor will i be buying any other unless I hear a song that I really love and thinks deserves a number one xmas slot. It doesn't sit well with me to buy a record out of spite

*gets off soapbox and returns to corner*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Never watched X factor and don't intend to start

Likewise.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    A couple of years ago Simon said he loved SCD and always taped it to watch so am surprised at this comment if indeed he did say it!

Not only that, he said he wanted to buy the format from the BBC. I have to admit, I do wonder what it would be like if Simon got his hands on it? Im sure the production values would go through the roof and it would be much more polished and slick. He does really know how to make a crowd pleasing show and pull in the viewers.

I think he'd get rid of Bruce as well, which would be a good thing imo. He's not afraid to make changes and then hold his hands up and put them right if they dont work out. For example when he sacked Louis Walsh and replaced him with that American dance prat. He realised quickly it was a huge mistake and brought Louis back. This is something the BBC dont want to admit. They made a massive mistake with Alesha, but instead of holding their hands up they put up this pretence that its all OK and decide to stick by her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I only every watch the 1st round of auditions on X Factor, but they've managed to ruin that now with having an audience for them. Hope they revert to the old, unacompanied, method for next year, else I probably won't bother at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a quote from Simon when the news that the shows were gonna clash came out in Sept: X-Factor producer and judge Cowell, who admitted he likes Strictly, said: "I don't think there are any other shows people are passionate about right now - and it's crazy that they're up against each other."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Simon-Cowell-Says-ITVs-X-Factor-Should-Not-Go-Up-Against-BBCs-Strictly-Come-Dancing/Article/200909315384638

Simon Cowell would have loved to have created Strictly as a format no matter what he says about it, today, tomorrow or in the future, it holds the Guinness World Record for the most successful global format, sold to 38 countries.

Truth be told he could work wonders if he was given Strictly to revamp.. It'd be a very different show if he was the boss.