Options

Simon Cowell Mocks Strictly

13»

Comments

• Options
    StrictlymadStrictlymad Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Force Ten wrote: »
    Maybe XF has trounced SCD in the ratings, but there are still 8 or 9 million people who happily watch Strictly every week and this obviously annoys Simon. How dare anyone watch anything apart from XF?:eek: The guy has developed a God complex and wants everyone to do what he tells them, including the artists on his show and all the public.

Well I've got news for you Mr Cowell. I've never watched the XF and don't intend to start now. It's Strictly all the way for me.:D

Could not agree more well said
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However I really dislike the way the show has ruined the Christmas #1. It was a big tradition in this country.

Me too. There once was a time when you didn't know who was going to be Christmas Number 1 until they announced it on Radio 1. You might not know the name of the song but you know who it is going to be (well I don't because I watched the sunday show for the first time last week but I'm sure eveyone else does)
    Boothy20 wrote: »
    I only every watch the 1st round of auditions on X Factor, but they've managed to ruin that now with having an audience for them. Hope they revert to the old, unacompanied, method for next year, else I probably won't bother at all.

This is the part I find most offensive. Before they even get to see the judges for the bit on the telly they have already been through 2 rounds of auditions with TV producers. So those people who are easy to laugh at because they are so terrible but think they are great are not quite as 'deluded' as portrayed as they have just passed 2 lots of audtions.

The whole show is so cynical and nasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    Lurksalot wrote: »
    Me too. There once was a time when you didn't know who was going to be Christmas Number 1 until they announced it on Radio 1. You might not know the name of the song but you know who it is going to be (well I don't because I watched the sunday show for the first time last week but I'm sure eveyone else does)

This is the part I find most offensive. Before they even get to see the judges for the bit on the telly they have already been through 2 rounds of auditions with TV producers. So those people who are easy to laugh at because they are so terrible but think they are great are not quite as 'deluded' as portrayed as they have just passed 2 lots of audtions.

Quite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the bit that gets me too. Don't they also get them back to have another laugh in the final?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isopap wrote: »
    That's the bit that gets me too. Don't they also get them back to have another laugh in the final?

Don't know about that I have only watched it a couple of times. Wouldn't surprise me though.
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly fan mocks Simon Cowell - have you seen your own haircut, Simon?!:eek::D
  • Options
    RomusRomus Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares what Cowell thinks! I never watch his programme anyway. From what I have gleaned in the press, he is a media wh*re and his programme is a mess regarding PR and gossip.

Wouldn't touch him or anything related to him with a bargepole.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    His rant about the facebook campaign to stop the X Factor winner getting the Christmas number 1 is brilliant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_10000000/newsid_10003400/10003411.stm

The fact that he has manipulated the Christmas number one since Girls Aloud won (must be six or seven years now) and that someone might outdo him is excellent. :D

Poor Simon, probably down to his last half billion ....
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Great post Boddism!

TA! Few spelling mistakes, but that tends to happen when I get passionate!:D

Thank F**K the Cowell crap is over after tonight ! (For a few months at least!:rolleyes:) How long before the public lose interest in him do we think??

(I reckon his shows will outlive Strictly tbh, which is sad as Strictly is infinitely preferable IMO..:rolleyes:)

Yes, I agree with the earlier poster. Strictly is tired....
    Its up to the producers to sweep out the cobwebs and that requires GUTS (and after the Arlene debarcle I dont expect much of that next year...):rolleyes:

Brucie to go to start with.... grand dame of showbiz he may be, and like others I feel affection for him, but his jokes and presentation just feels INCREDIBLY dated tbh... Ive been watching the US DWTS and its so much more contemporary feeling and sprightlier....

I think the key is MONEY here. Youre not gonna get high calibre celbs (dancers or singers) for strictly unless you are prepared to fork out for them and the BBC just havent the will or inclination to do that. Until the makers of Strictly get a backbone, make changes and put up some serious dosh the decline will continue (sadly...) :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    I think it's unfortunate that the song picked to champion this X Factor backlash is a Sony one but I'm still all for it!

They have dominated and ruined the charts at Christmas for long enough. Awful bloody noise they make, and that ruination of one of my favourite songs last year was the final straw. :mad:

Plus I quite like Killing in the Name of anyways :D

Im sorry but that version of Michael Jackson's "You are not alone" is like spitting in his grave!:mad::mad:

Cynical of Cowell to do that (But its for charideeee so thats OK!:rolleyes:) and their version is total arse wipe anyway!:mad:

I think theres a little confusion over Cowell benefiting from the RATM song. Not likley unless he has a stake in Sony itself (COULD DO?!!:eek:) For me this is more symbolic, that people are fed up with his monopoly and that people want to make a stand for less manufactured pop music.

I find Cowell's comments that not getting a number one might negatively affect his winner extremely cynical... If you didnt drop winners like hot cakes the minute sales dropped your "concern" might seem more genuine Simon!!

Everyone knows Simon hasnt found himself a Leona this year, so we might as well get this grim rigmarole over with asap. I actually feel sorry for these young singers... they're being sold a pup!:rolleyes::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the "laugh at the nutter" factor....:rolleyes:

Even Craig RH isnt this nasty!:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    TA! Few spelling mistakes, but that tends to happen when I get passionate!:D

Thank F**K the Cowell crap is over after tonight ! (For a few months at least!:rolleyes:) How long before the public lose interest in him do we think??

(I reckon his shows will outlive Strictly tbh, which is sad as Strictly is infinitely preferable IMO..:rolleyes:)

Yes, I agree with the earlier poster. Strictly is tired....
    Its up to the producers to sweep out the cobwebs and that requires GUTS (and after the Arlene debarcle I dont expect much of that next year...):rolleyes:

Brucie to go to start with.... grand dame of showbiz he may be, and like others I feel affection for him, but his jokes and presentation just feels INCREDIBLY dated tbh... Ive been watching the US DWTS and its so much more contemporary feeling and sprightlier....

I think the key is MONEY here. Youre not gonna get high calibre celbs (dancers or singers) for strictly unless you are prepared to fork out for them and the BBC just havent the will or inclination to do that. Until the makers of Strictly get a backbone, make changes and put up some serious dosh the decline will continue (sadly...) :cry:

Totally agree with you about the BBC's approach to their own global format success - Strictly Come Dancing.

For some reason the entire entertainment department in the BBC is incompetent, it's like it is run by inexperienced media graduates. The beeb really need to get an independent production company on board to co-produce strictly because I have no faith whatsoever in the BBC entertainment producers. :(

With regards to the budget, it has to be increased because these types of entertainment shows are bringing in the ratings these days and that is why the entertainment shows on ITV are so much more superior because they have bigger budgets. According to BBC commissioning the per hour budget for an entertainment show is £250,000, apparently X Factors per show budget is £1.7million. :eek:

How come the drama department can spend upto £1million per episode on Doctor who, but can't spend anything like that on big entertainment shows. :confused:

I despair. :(
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    A couple of years ago Simon said he loved SCD and always taped it to watch so am surprised at this comment if indeed he did say it!

I am very fickle and one minute I hate Scowell with a vengeance then actually quite like him (draw the line at fancying him though!!)

While I do agree his shows churn out some dross we can hardly class them all as no hoper wannabees thinking Will Young, Leonie Lewis , JLS , and SuBo and many more who may not have made it in the music industry but are doing very well in the west end!

I agree about tired old covers but the reason is very simple for the winners song theydon't know who is going to win therefore have to do something generic which will sort of suit all voices and there is also the time schedule to get it out for xmas.

As for SCD, this is the first year i have been really tired of it. i hated the 2 hour shows(prob due to my short attention span!!) and am tried of the silly jokes and backbiting between the judges. The only highlight for me this year so far has been Flavia and Vincents Argentinian Tango and that is sad.

I won't be buying XF winners single and nor will i be buying any other unless I hear a song that I really love and thinks deserves a number one xmas slot. It doesn't sit well with me to buy a record out of spite

*gets off soapbox and returns to corner*

Your post broadly sums up my views. I watch both shows and don't take either particularly seriously. However I'm enjoying TXF much more than Strictly this year and I can't wait for tonight's final (Joe FTW!)

Simon has said he'd love to own the rights to SCD/DWTS and even had a favourite during series 5 - he said he wanted Alesha to win. I don't blame him if he's since lost interest, but I know he still keeps an eye on DWTS as it's on at the same time as American Idol and even recorded in the same studio block in LA.

Regarding the RATM song, people are buying a Sony single on the back of a rather suspect campaign to sell a single no-one would be buying otherwise, in the misguided hope of displacing the Sony X Factor single from number one, which of course is never going to happen. Simon Cowell and Sony benefit because Sony gets the RATM sales they wouldn't ordinarily get, the Joe/Olly/Stacey fans multibuy the winner's single in panic, both singles get extra publicity in the run up to the Top 40 countdown therefore even more sales... It all happened last year with Hallelujah after a similar internet campaign (in the end Alexandra's version predictably outsold the [Sony] Jeff Buckley version by a ridiculous margin). If it makes anyone happier, then go ahead and buy it, but like last year Sony, Simon and the X Factor winner will have the last laugh.
  • Options
    Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Totally agree with you about the BBC's approach to their own global format success - Strictly Come Dancing.

For some reason the entire entertainment department in the BBC is incompetent, it's like it is run by inexperienced media graduates. The beeb really need to get an independent production company on board to co-produce strictly because I have no faith whatsoever in the BBC entertainment producers. :(

With regards to the budget, it has to be increased because these types of entertainment shows are bringing in the ratings these days and that is why the entertainment shows on ITV are so much more superior because they have bigger budgets. According to BBC commissioning the per hour budget for an entertainment show is £250,000, apparently X Factors per show budget is £1.7million. :eek:

How come the drama department can spend upto £1million per episode on Doctor who, but can't spend anything like that on big entertainment shows. :confused:

I despair. :(

I think they can spend a lot more on Doctor Who because they can then sell the actual show to numerous other countries, but with Strictly, they only get a licensing fee from other countries who then produce their own version - Dancing With The Stars.