Options

Singers you are baffled as to why they have so much success?

Comments

• Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maverick Sabre.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    I know, the Adele fans can't take it when anyone critisizes Adele so make out that she's the best musician in the world:rolleyes:

I'm certainly not an Adele fan. Personally I found 21 a huge disappointment as it is too commercial straying into Phil Collins, Simply Red, Celine Dion territory compared to her wonderful debut 19.

But your defence of Britney Spears whilst attacking Adele is quite frankly a fail on epic proportions.

Firstly, Adele debut album 19 contained 12 tracks including a cover of the Bob Dylan standard Make You Feel My Love. Of the other 11 tracks she wrote 6 of the tracks by herself; and the other 5 were co-written, four of which with one other songwriter. So in Royalty Points terms she wrote 60% of her debut album.

Her second album 21 contains 11 tracks including a cover of The Cure's USA#2 hit Lovesong. The other 10 tracks were co-written with the likes of Dan Wilson, Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder, Fraser T. Smith, Eg White & Greg Wells. So in Royalty Points terms she wrote 45.45% of her sophomore album.

Hence to date every original composition on her first two albums involved her songwriting involvements, and all bar one exception those tracks were self penned or co-written.

Contrast that to Britney Spears whom has NEVER recorded a self penned song on any of her studio albums, whom on her last three albums:

On Blackout she partially wrote 2 tracks, one with three other songwriters, and the other with 4 other songwriters. So on this 12 track album, in Royalty Points terms she wrote 3.75% of the album.

On Circus, she partially wrote 3 tracks, one co-penned effort, one with three other songwriters, and the other with 4 other songwriters. So on this 13 track album, in Royalty Points terms she wrote 7.31% of the album.

On Femme Fatale, she was not involved in writing any of the 12 tracks on the standard version of the album, nor any of the additional 4 tracks on the deluxe version. Hence in songwriter Royalty Points terms she wrote 0.00% of the album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I agree with your argument for Adele maninthequeue.

My answer for this is someone I have just watched. Saw Cher Lloyd's "With Ur Love" Ft Mike Posner. I hate her songs, rubbish songwriting. But then this "Mike Posner" guy was standing there, gave a few poorly written lines about first and second base and then bowed out.

There are many more, but that's one I've just watched.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Posner isn't really successful... He had that one sort-of-hit but it was nothing major. His voice is dire, he just breathes his lyrics.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;55367233']Professor Green - his first few songs sounded like joke songs and he ruined a few classics, his rap voice is awfulll. Although nowadays he's trying to be more serious in his songs.

I could never stand him. I remember when I Need You Tonight came out - it was played on TV a lot and even worse it got stuck in my head. Horrendous song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm certainly not an Adele fan. Personally I found 21 a huge disappointment as it is too commercial straying into Phil Collins, Simply Red, Celine Dion territory compared to her wonderful debut 19.

But your defence of Britney Spears whilst attacking Adele is quite frankly a fail on epic proportions.

Firstly, Adele debut album 19 contained 12 tracks including a cover of the Bob Dylan standard Make You Feel My Love. Of the other 11 tracks she wrote 6 of the tracks by herself; and the other 5 were co-written, four of which with one other songwriter. So in Royalty Points terms she wrote 60% of her debut album.

Her second album 21 contains 11 tracks including a cover of The Cure's USA#2 hit Lovesong. The other 10 tracks were co-written with the likes of Dan Wilson, Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder, Fraser T. Smith, Eg White & Greg Wells. So in Royalty Points terms she wrote 45.45% of her sophomore album.

Hence to date every original composition on her first two albums involved her songwriting involvements, and all bar one exception those tracks were self penned or co-written.

Contrast that to Britney Spears whom has NEVER recorded a self penned song on any of her studio albums, whom on her last three albums:

On Blackout she partially wrote 2 tracks, one with three other songwriters, and the other with 4 other songwriters. So on this 12 track album, in Royalty Points terms she wrote 3.75% of the album.

On Circus, she partially wrote 3 tracks, one co-penned effort, one with three other songwriters, and the other with 4 other songwriters. So on this 13 track album, in Royalty Points terms she wrote 7.31% of the album.

On Femme Fatale, she was not involved in writing any of the 12 tracks on the standard version of the album, nor any of the additional 4 tracks on the deluxe version. Hence in songwriter Royalty Points terms she wrote 0.00% of the album.

Why does me critisising Adele yet liking Britney got anything to do it? I never said I didn't like Adele because she writes her own songs and I like Britney because she doesn't:confused: Whilst I don't like Adele and find her annoying - partially due to her being everywhere which is not her fault - I do think that she's talented, and I also think Britney is talented. You seem to spend your time putting down Britney at every oppurtunity and while I accept you don't like her, a lot of people do.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Olly Murs success baffles me. He has an ok voice, but nothing spectacular, his songs are pleasant and listen-able enough, and I can appreciate that his 'cheekie chappie' personality appeals...but why he is scoring hit after hit ahead of other artists baffles me.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Quite a few but the main one is Rihanna. Terrible voice, she sings very nasally and isn't even good looking which is the main thing pop stars can fall back on. I really don't understand how people can willingly listen to her 'music'.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think olly murs is a good singer heart skips a beat is a great single however he is slightly overhyped.
    Jessie j one of the best singers in years but her image is over the top however I love her songs except do it like a dude,
    Cheryl cole why? can't sing if it wasn't for the backing of simon cowell would never have made it as a solo act.
    Black eyed peas without fergie would be very average.
    All those dire rappers tiny tempah,professor green,ne-yo.
    I remember back in the 90's when people could really rap.
    LL cool j,missy,lisa left eye lopes,salt n pepa etc.
    Rihanna ok nothing special again overhyped.
    pixie lott terrible singer why do they say she has a good voice.
    kesha awful
    britney can sing well when she wants to most of the time dosen't relies on good producers.
    christina aguilera love her music but over sings everything same goes for leona lewis.
    the wanted dire need I go on bring back the eighties when we had the likes of annie lennox,alison moyet,marc almond good singers that didn't need auto-tune.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    My main one has to Adele. Common as muck woman, dull songs, no stage presence yet she sells thousands of albums every week and I just don't get why everyone likes her so much:confused:

Who are yours?

Agreed. I can't believe that she continues to sing in the way that she does. She is doing so much damage to her voice by shrieking the way she does. I'm not denying that the girl has talent, she just needs to know how to sing correctly.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Madonna,Robbie Williams
  • Options
    Delicious11Delicious11 Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce
    Drake
    Adele
    Lady Gaga
    Britney
    LiL Wayne
    Florence and the Machine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I'll probably get some flack for this, but Florence + The Machine - I find Florences voice very overbearing, it's kind of shrieky and then especially the chorus of 'Shake It Out' (first verse I like) It just sounds like she's screaming. She is really starting to take off in the states, but despite my opinion, I commend her for doing it herself - writing/co-writing her own songs, and not using guest features.

Florence is incredible and reminds me a little of Kate Bush. I'm a huge Florence fan but on the other hand I do understand why others wouldn't be so keen
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;55367233']

Professor Green - his first few songs sounded like joke songs and he ruined a few classics, his rap voice is awfulll. Although nowadays he's trying to be more serious in his songs.

Don't forget Read All About It was a clear rip off of Eminem-Rihanna.

If an alien heard the 2 songs, it would think it was listening to the same song. In fact, i think so too at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie J!
    Her success is actually astonishing, she just emerged from nowhere, then bam shes rolling out hit singles, and giving performances on shows like Britains got talent!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering her gigantic success, it has to be Adele for me. I just don't get her. Her voice doesn't connect with me at all. I appreciate she has talent but not enough to justify the sales of 21.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    Black eyed peas without fergie would be very average.

I agree. They probably would improve without her. Although I'm not sure they ever attain 'average'. They'd still have Will.I.Am.A.Clown in there, stinking up the records.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Beyonce
    Drake
    Adele
    Lady Gaga
    Britney
    LiL Wayne
    Florence and the Machine

the top one, glasto, her itv special and live at roseland + the 2011 billboard awards performance showed you how wrong you are. if it was easy performing like that, everyone would do it. she earned her $ fair and square (she was the creative and vocal centrepiece of DC).
  • Options
    Aatif1992Aatif1992 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Plan B absolutely dated music and boring and tinie tempah. Hmm who else? Erm...can't think at the moment.
  • Options
    Aatif1992Aatif1992 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Oh yes now that I have thought about it Will Young I am baffled at his success
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    Black eyed peas without fergie would be very average

There was no fergie on BEP first two albums..they was so much better then, they turned rubbish when she joined..she ruined them.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be Adele. She's got a great voice and she can write a good song....but those sales in this climate are absolutely obscene and it is a bit mystifying. Good on her though, not a fan but I don't begrudge her success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really confused bout Adele, she is a bit of a mum singer so plenty of people will buy her stuff and think its really heartfelt. I do think she has a great voice, looking forward to when she grows up and starts getting more about the music and less formulaic.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Not really confused bout Adele, she is a bit of a mum singer so plenty of people will buy her stuff and think its really heartfelt. I do think she has a great voice, looking forward to when she grows up and starts getting more about the music and less formulaic.

there have been loads like her. shes nothing special.
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I'll probably get some flack for this, but Florence + The Machine - I find Florences voice very overbearing, it's kind of shrieky and then especially the chorus of 'Shake It Out' (first verse I like) It just sounds like she's screaming. She is really starting to take off in the states, but despite my opinion, I commend her for doing it herself - writing/co-writing her own songs, and not using guest features.

Also, Jason Derulo. Funny enough I loved half of his first album, but with his second album it was just so generic and sounds like every other electro-pop/r&b songs we have out at the moment, he's is like the poor mans Chris Brown/Usher. He isn't good live either, it consists of him letting the background music do all the singing as he throws in unnecessary runs everywhere

Have to agree with you on both counts. Florence I find to be incredibly screechy and shouts as opposed to singing. Jason Derulo I find to be completely pointless.