Options

In The Zone by Britney (2003) vs. Rated R by Rihanna (2009)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Now this may sound like an odd comparison but bare with me!:p

These two albums are the most personal by both artists to date - and I judge this by both have writing credits on nearly all tracks - and both were forged when Britney and Rihanna had difficult personal lives. And more convinientaly, they're both Britney and Rihanna's fourth albums:D

The two of them are known for dance pop songs that could be deemed as 'generic' and 'forgettable' by some, but on ITZ and Rated R I think the two of them opened up quite a bit and made an album very personal to them that they both worked hard on and were proud of. Commercially, In The Zone sold 10 million worldwide (I think!) and Rated R sold 3 million (again, I think!) but this means nothing to how good they are but it's just another comparison!

But which one do you prefer?

I'm a bit unsure really as I love the dark side to Rihanna on Rated R but I loved seeing Britney as a songwriter on In The Zone and how diverse that album was with so many genres thrown in.

I think I'm gonna have to go for In The Zone!

Your thoughts?:p

In The Zone by Britney (2003) vs. Rated R by Rihanna (2009) 45 votes

In The Zone
46% 21 votes
Rated R
53% 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a Britney fan and Rated R is by far and away my favorite Rihanna album so an easy choice to me.

It always baffles me why Fire Bomb was never released as a single
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Britney fan and a Rihanna fan (Far, far more of a Britney fan though, I'll be honest). It has to be In The Zone for me. I have both albums, and I think I uploaded the Rihanna album to my iPod and deleted half the tracks after a few listens. I still listen to In the Zone. I don't like angry music though, which is Rated R. In The Zone is just really easy going and sensual. Pretty cool! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good points both of those albums were artistically best work yet. but different styles like britney's was pop oriented while rihanna's was way more on r&b and reggae sounds. so i will say maybe in the zone is the best maybe but i liked rihanna's song rude boy.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely In The Zone, but maybe I'm biased because I'm a Britney fan and I'm not familiar with Rihanna's albums (I like her but have really only listened to the singles).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I prefer RR as a whole album, but ITZ's singles slay.

Toxic and Me Against The Music were defining moments in pop, and Everytime is more personal and impressive than any ballad Rihanna has ever done. Plus Britney wrote it (as much as Rihanna has credits on TT, I'm not entirely convinced she did much writing), so major props there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer RR as a whole album, but ITZ's singles slay.
    Toxic and Me Against The Music were defining moments in pop, and Everytime is more personal and impressive than any ballad Rihanna has ever done. Plus Britney wrote it (as much as Rihanna has credits on TT, I'm not entirely convinced she did much writing), so major props there.

I totally agree with the BIB. If I was going to listen to a whole album, I would rather listen to Rated R but Britney's singles from that album are amazing.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I love both albums but I tend to listen to Rated R in full more than In The Zone.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I perfer listening to Rated R, but Britneys singles from ITZ were brilliant. Me Against the Music should have been so much bigger than it was.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the zone.
  • Options
    mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Blackout the most personal?

Songs like POM, GM and Freaksow related more to her situation than the songs on ITZ.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In The Zone for me.

Here comes the showdown, wooaahhh!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russian Roulette is a mile ahead of any Britney slow song, every time is the only one that may come close. Also love Fire Bomb & SIL, only really like the first 3 singles from ITZ. So Rated R gets my vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I perfer listening to Rated R, but Britneys singles from ITZ were brilliant. Me Against the Music should have been so much bigger than it was.

That's was a #1 in Australia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I love them both!They're 2 of my favorite pop/urban pop albums of all time!I can't really compare, because 'RR' is dark and more urban, while 'ITZ' is poppier, electro and heartfelt but not in the same way as 'RR' :cool: I hope that they will both return to that sound (and that brave attitude towards experimenting with their craft).
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate in the zone at all the singles were good toxic & everytime but the only other good tracks were breath on me
    & touch of my hand I got that boom boom and outragous were dire as for the writing britney admitted in an interview the first proper song she wrote was everytime.
    I suspect any credits with her name on it were litarly like one line or something.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the zone is definitely better, a much more diverse album with many genres and a few cool collabs, plus some really sexy songs like Toxic, touch of my hand, breathe on me, outrageous etc, just an awesome all around, ballanced album.
  • Options
    smashboxsmashbox Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITZ it's hit songs will be remembered far longer than any track of RR. Britney had some amazing sings on that album.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    In The Zone... But i think it should of been between Blackout instead of ITZ :p