James Corden, the same in everthing he does

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
James is a success - there's no doubt about that.

He's increasingly getting more and more Hollywood movie roles. That said, his acting range is limited to playing himself. I saw him as Paul Potts in One Chance (2013). And basically, nothing like Paul Potts, but a lot like James Corden.:o

James' new movie role is The Baker in Into The Woods (2014), acting alongside Meryl Streep.

Streep acts brilliantly as The Witch, and Corden, again, acts brilliantly as...Corden.:D

Luckiest man in the world.

Comments

• Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah he's a bit hit/miss. I just see James Corden. But there must be some appeal
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Yeah he's a bit hit/miss. I just see James Corden. But there must be some appeal

I think he's a trier. But he can't escape James Corden.
  • ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the acting equivalent of Ed Sherian the same old same old :(
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    I suppose you saw him on Jonathan Ross then? Acting himself again! :D
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like James but I know what you mean.

I found out a few days ago he landed the hosting gig of The Late Late Show in America, like how does he manage it? I do think he is funny though.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I can't see how he can possibly follow Craig Ferguson in that chat show.he is not one bit funny,imo.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad others agree re James Corden. He only ever plays himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if he got the role of Hitler.

Wow, that's amazing he has landed the hosting gig of The Late Late Show in America'

Only time will tell if he falls flat on his face like Piers Morgan. :D
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Whatever people think of him, he's been remarkably successful for a fat lad. I like him.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever people think of him, he's been remarkably successful for a fat lad.

I think being fat can be a boon for doing comedy.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    For some stars, it's their sameness that keeps them in work. You always know what you're going to get when you cast Arnie, Jim Carey or Ray Winstone. They've never been hired for their acting ranges.

Viewers work out whether they like the person or not, and then those who do watch everything they do. If enough people fall into the 'like' category, producers want to hire them and keep using them.

Cordon has just the kind of brash, immodest personality that Americans like on TV. I can see why they'd think he might work there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but if you're gonna play Paul Potts, then at least TRY to capture some of Paul's personality - or lack of it.

Don't just play James Corden - especially if you're James Corden.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    He's awful and his success baffles me, at least he's finally been ditched from the Brit awards
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of this but I did think he was good in The Wrong Mans, and am really glad to see it back on the telly tomorrow.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched Begin Again with Kiera Knightly. James Cordon...............playing James Cordon..............just wearing a hat and holding a guitar.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's funny. Steryl Mreep always play Steryl Mreep.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really got an axe to grind with James Corden but like others in this thread, I'm a bit mystified about the level of success he's having. I have the same feeling with Martin Freeman.

"Smithy from Gavin & Stacey and that guy from The Office are cracking America. Them?!"
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never a fan (although I loved the whole essemble piece of G & S) but I saw him on stage in One Man Two Guvnors and he was genius.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally find him talentless, annoying, tedious, smug and monotonous. He ruins everything he appears in! I just wish he'd disappear, never to be seen again.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I just wish he'd disappear, never to be seen again.

How about him slimming to average in compromise? That half-grants your wish!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most actors play themselves.

Streeps, day-lewises, pacinos, oliviers are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Gervais played himself in 2 night at the museum films
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think being fat can be a boon for doing comedy.

Yes, and if it's beneficial for a female's public persona to be perceived as down-to-earth. For example, Adele was portrayed as a "real woman" and an antidote to sexy popstars - I don't think she'd been half as successful if she was a healthy weight and looked like a regular popstar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of this but I did think he was good in The Wrong Mans, and am really glad to see it back on the telly tomorrow.

He plays James Corden in that, too. :D
  • mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has great emotional gravitas in Into the Woods, I was not a fan prior but he gives a spectacular performance in it. It will definitely be one to look out for he had some serious chops in nailing scenes that are quite sad and added a lot of warmth to the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    Yes, and if it's beneficial for a female's public persona to be perceived as down-to-earth. For example, Adele was portrayed as a "real woman" and an antidote to sexy popstars - I don't think she'd been half as successful if she was a healthy weight and looked like a regular popstar.

Disagree. Her voice and music have range and great. She would be a success regardless of her waist size.