Options

Teachers Strike - 24th April 2008 - Is your local school affected?

Comments

• Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, our school is closed - all years, including 11, 12 and 13, so even though our exams are merely 4 weeks away we're being denied a day of lessons.

I'm missing triple English - luckily, English is my best subject and we've already completed 5 modules - I'm pretty much guarenteed the grade I want. If I'd had history or geography I'd have been furious!
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't found out yet but if we are of i will be :sad: as it will mean i miss another geography lesson which is not good considering i miss a few lessons for the bank holiday anyway:( with the exams being very close
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least the roads will be quieter on that day :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »
    Just annoying big kids running around then :)

Even the teachers admit the younger years are the worst. They are sooo cocky its unbelievable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Even the teachers admit the younger years are the worst. They are sooo cocky its unbelievable

Having 2 in years 4 and 7 I agree, but probably will when they are in higher years too:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I hadn't heard anything about this at all, but then I'm in Scotland.
  • Options
    MutintaMutinta Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Nothing's been mentioned at my school so I'm assuming they're not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My school is not shut :(! I thought it was teachers had to go on strike if they were in that union .. I'm sure some of mine who are in it, are not! :S
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my sons school is shut:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    Students and parents are completely on opposite sides when it comes to school;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,543
    Forum Member
    I'd be angry if my school was shut - I've got a GCSE Maths exam in 3 weeks time and I need every lesson of it I can have.

If my teachers decided to strike then, I would be furious and would have some things to say to them. By all means strike in September or October but not at this crucial time of the school year !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jessicaar wrote: »
    My school is not shut :(! I thought it was teachers had to go on strike if they were in that union .. I'm sure some of mine who are in it, are not! :S

Nope teachers don't have to strike even if they are in that union, they have the choice. And a lot may not be with the NUT anyway, there are 3 or 4 major unions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    Alex91 wrote: »
    I'd be angry if my school was shut - I've got a GCSE Maths exam in 3 weeks time and I need every lesson of it I can have.

If my teachers decided to strike then, I would be furious and would have some things to say to them. By all means strike in September or October but not at this crucial time of the school year !

Shouldn't really matter when the missed lesson is, should it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is our buses, streets and shopping centres that will be affected.
    A day not to venture out then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the teachers in a certain union are on strike at my school and only few of them, my schools a grammar school with quite a good reputation so they get paid quite well I'd imagine.
    Anyway it sucks, we have to go into school but at least we'll get free periods instead of some of our lessons, they're always fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My school is closed to Year 7, 8, 9 & 10. I'm in Year 11. We are allowed to stay at home though as there will be no lessons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we're just waiting to hear from my kids school to see if they are on strike, but i think it will only be the teachers in the union that will be striking, so it may not affect all of the school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all schools will be affected in some way (but then again - thats the point isnt it?) but headteachers have to find out how many people are going to go on stike before they can work out what they are doing. A teacher that is in school that day won't cover for a striking member of staff which is why schools are having to close
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The secondary school here is not affected and all children are still in. The primary school years: 1, 4, 5 & 6 are off yet the Nursery, reception, years 2 & 3 are in. I have one starting in nursery class and one in year 1, so one will be in one will be off.

I can't understand how the secondary school is going to run unaffected if non striking teachers will not cover. They have around 1600 students there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope mine are in a different union im soo mad.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England only i take it?

Wales too.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter's 12 and at an all-girls Catholic secondary. She says they'll be told next Tuesday if they're off or not.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only year 7 affected in my children's school.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't affect the attendance figures. It should be treated as an enforced closure:)

A lot of schools aren't closing as some classes are in. If parents choose to keep other children off school who are in the open classes then it will affect the attendance.
    I can understand parents doing it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had a letter home......school as normal for my lot....Yippee! ;)