Sarah Kennedy

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss K gets a thumbs up from me today for playing that brilliant Victoria Wood song.Really cheered up a grey morning

Wow Victoria Wood... I am sorry this is not what R2 should be about now!
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Wow Victoria Wood... I am sorry this is not what R2 should be about now!

Actually, you're wrong. Radio 2 is a 'music and entertainment' station. Comedy is, and always has been, part of Radio 2's remit.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Radio 2 should be playing Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Harry Connick Jr etc, ie. quality not cr*p.
    Forum Member
    Please define the music you regard as 'crap'.
    Forum Member
    Please define the music you regard as 'crap'.

Anything by Victoria Wood for one example.
    Forum Member
    Victoria Wood isn't a pop artist, though. There's nothing wrong with 'comedy records' being played. Years ago, Radio 2 played comedy records performed by the likes of Terry Scott, Kenneth Williams and Les Dawson, for example. Harmless humour and fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Radio 2 should be playing Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Harry Connick Jr etc, ie. quality not cr*p.

I agree with that, Comedy should be used only on one of the new BBC digital stations 7 maybe.
    Forum Member
    Radio comedians

Michael Bentine (1922–1996), (The Goon Show)

Dick Bentley (1907–1995) (Take It From Here)

Tim Brooke-Taylor (born 1940) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That

Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

John Cleese (born 1939) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Jimmy Edwards (1920–1988) (Take It From Here)

Graham Fellows (plays the characters Jilted John, John

Shuttleworth and Brian Appleton)

Cyril Fletcher (1913–2005)

Ronald Frankau (1894–1951)

Graeme Garden (born 1943) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Jeff Green, (The Green Guide to..)

Joyce Grenfell (1910–1979)

Deryck Guyler (1914–1999)

Tony Hancock (1924–1968) (Hancock's Half Hour)

Tommy Handley (1892–1949) (ITMA)

David Hatch, (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again)

Kenneth Horne (died 1969), (Round the Horne, Beyond Our Ken)

Roy Hudd (born 1936) (News Huddlines)

Jo Kendall, (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Bill Kerr (born 1922) (Hancock's Half Hour)

Betty Marsden (1919–1998)

Spike Milligan (1918–2002), (The Goon Show)

Chris Morris, (On The Hour)

Richard Murdoch, (Much Binding in the Marsh)

Stephen Murray (1912–1983) (The Navy Lark)

Joy Nichols, (Take It From Here)

Bill Oddie (born 1941) I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again

Jon Pertwee (1919–1996) The Navy Lark

Bill Pertwee (born 1926) (Beyond Our Ken, Round the Horne)

Harry Secombe (1921–2001), (The Goon Show)

Peter Sellers (1925–1980), (The Goon Show)

Mark Steel, (The Mark Steel Solution, The Mark Steel Revolution, The Mark Steel Lectures)

Hugh Paddick (1915–2000)

Leslie Phillips (born 1924) (The Navy Lark)

Dennis Price, (The Navy Lark)

Ted Ray (1905–1977)

Al Read

Kenneth Williams (1926–1988) (Round the Horne)

I'm sure a lot of Radio 2's older listeners remember the above and would like to hear them replayed on the network, though BBC 7 covers this.
    Forum Member
    I agree with that, Comedy should be used only on for one of the new BBC digital stations 7 maybe.

Then you clearly do not understand Radio 2's remit. Radio 2 is not a pop station. It has always featured speech programming i.e. comedy, drama and topical debate.

If you want wall-to-wall pop then switch to Heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Wood isn't a pop artist, though. There's nothing wrong with 'comedy records' being played. Years ago, Radio 2 played comedy records performed by the likes of Terry Scott, Kenneth Williams and Les Dawson, for example. Harmless humour and fun.

Yes but it's moved on from that, the R2 audience is now younger and more in tune with today's music and even comedy, If u want comedy ask the likes of Paul Whitehouse, Alan Carr to do a guest show.
    Some people would have the likes of Joyce Grenfell back on the station if they could.
    Forum Member
    Yes but it's moved on from that, the R2 audience is now younger and more in tune with today's music and even comedy, If u want comedy ask the likes of Paul Whitehouse, Alan Carr to do a guest show.
    Some people would have the likes of Joyce Grenfell back on the station if they could.

Alan Carr and Paul Whitehouse are Radio 2 regulars.

I think Radio 2 should broadcast a vintage comedy hour on Sundays. 1.00 - 2.00pm would be ideal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio comedians

Michael Bentine (1922–1996), (The Goon Show)

Dick Bentley (1907–1995) (Take It From Here)

Tim Brooke-Taylor (born 1940) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That

Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

John Cleese (born 1939) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Jimmy Edwards (1920–1988) (Take It From Here)

Graham Fellows (plays the characters Jilted John, John

Shuttleworth and Brian Appleton)

Cyril Fletcher (1913–2005)

Ronald Frankau (1894–1951)

Graeme Garden (born 1943) (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Jeff Green, (The Green Guide to..)

Joyce Grenfell (1910–1979)

Deryck Guyler (1914–1999)

Tony Hancock (1924–1968) (Hancock's Half Hour)

Tommy Handley (1892–1949) (ITMA)

David Hatch, (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again)

Kenneth Horne (died 1969), (Round the Horne, Beyond Our Ken)

Roy Hudd (born 1936) (News Huddlines)

Jo Kendall, (I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue)

Bill Kerr (born 1922) (Hancock's Half Hour)

Betty Marsden (1919–1998)

Spike Milligan (1918–2002), (The Goon Show)

Chris Morris, (On The Hour)

Richard Murdoch, (Much Binding in the Marsh)

Stephen Murray (1912–1983) (The Navy Lark)

Joy Nichols, (Take It From Here)

Bill Oddie (born 1941) I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again

Jon Pertwee (1919–1996) The Navy Lark

Bill Pertwee (born 1926) (Beyond Our Ken, Round the Horne)

Harry Secombe (1921–2001), (The Goon Show)

Peter Sellers (1925–1980), (The Goon Show)

Mark Steel, (The Mark Steel Solution, The Mark Steel Revolution, The Mark Steel Lectures)

Hugh Paddick (1915–2000)

Leslie Phillips (born 1924) (The Navy Lark)

Dennis Price, (The Navy Lark)

Ted Ray (1905–1977)

Al Read

Kenneth Williams (1926–1988) (Round the Horne)

I'm sure a lot of Radio 2's older listeners remember the above and would like to hear them replayed on the network, though BBC 7 covers this.

You just maybe my point R7 cover this, leave R2 for great new or classic music... but back to Sk, she has no idea about good music, so has to go
    Forum Member
    Sarah Kennedy appeals to 5 million Dawn Patrollers. Therefore, her presence on Radio 2 is justifiable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Kennedy appeals to 5 million Dawn Patrollers. Therefore, her presence on Radio 2 is justifiable.

I think most listen as there is no other station to choose from without adverts, it is not a matter that she is liked, but it is habit, I bet when she is given the sack..apart from the 2 or 3 on here, there not be much of a outcry. Mind I will miss the silly mistakes she makes, won't miss her snobby out of touch presenting.
    Forum Member
    I don't think Radio 2 bosses see things from your perspective!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Radio 2 bosses see things from your perspective!

Just a matter of time, I mean they hacked 1/2 from her, leaving just a hour, so that how much they value her!
    Forum Member
    It makes me wonder what will happen when Sarah Kennedy is on leave or throws a sickie. Seems pointless dragging someone in to cover for an hour!
    Forum Member
    I think most listen as there is no other station to choose from without adverts, it is not a matter that she is liked, but it is habit, I bet when she is given the sack..apart from the 2 or 3 on here, there not be much of a outcry. Mind I will miss the silly mistakes she makes, won't miss her snobby out of touch presenting.

Exactly myscimitar, Radio Two is the default station. In many areas of the country it's the only station (apart from Radio One) that is easy to hear on a portable radio.
    Forum Member
    Where is your evidence Radio 2 is the default station? :confused:

5 million people tune into Sarah Kennedy every day. If she is that bad then I am sure they would switch the radio off or put on a CD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is your evidence Radio 2 is the default station? :confused:

5 million people tune into Sarah Kennedy every day. If she is that bad then I am sure they would switch the radio off or put on a CD.

First thing waking up, you want music on, news reports etc. I don't know many people who have a CD player's next to their bed.
    Forum Member
    First thing waking up, you want music on, news reports etc. I don't know many people who have a CD player's next to their bed.

It's easy: switch the radio off when you wake up. :rolleyes:

And I was referring to people having CDs in their vehicle - not by their bed.
  • sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most listen as there is no other station to choose from without adverts

Apart from Radio 1, Radio 3, Radio 4, Five Live, 6 music, 1 Xtra, BBC local radio, Radio 7, Five Live Sports Extra and the BBC Asian Network
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidekick67 wrote: »
    Apart from Radio 1, Radio 3, Radio 4, Five Live, 6 music, 1 Xtra, BBC local radio, Radio 7, Five Live Sports Extra and the BBC Asian Network

Note with the same sort of music range
  • sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note with the same sort of music range

Doesn't matter - it's a choice of alternative ad-free stations. You can't have it both ways - don't try to state as a fact that people are listening as they have no alternative.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidekick67 wrote: »

The majority of those stations are only available on DAB or by listening online, or via Freeview or Sky. That leaves just four stations as an alternative to the lamentable SK. Radio 1 is just too loud at that time in the morning. Radio 3 is heavenly but makes me want to stay in bed. Radio 4 is good if you want to be up to date with current affairs. BBC Local is not for me. A phone-in recently was "Phone in if you're Swedish!" :D
This discussion has been closed.