Options

Did Caster throw the race?!

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
Forum Member
Colin and Denise think so. Michael Johnson's not buying it!!

Comments

• Options
    pinkiepie232pinkiepie232 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    whatever happened, i'm baffled she didn't destroy them cos she can.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Colin's talking out of his backside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her tactics were awful.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    She didn't look as if she was trying that hard TBH
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd side with Johnson. He seems far more down to earth and analytical with his comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whatever happened, i'm baffled she didn't destroy them cos she can.
    It was a fast pace but she ran 1.57 in the semis and barely looked put out. And in the final she had way too much in reserve. She was never going to catch a fast finisher like Savinova with that much distance between them. Borzakovsky used to run like that when he was younger but he would make his move far earlier.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so. She did something like this last year at the world championships,almost as if she wasn't trying. I think all the controversy has really effected her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Colin's talking out of his backside.
    Not entirely. When Caster came back from her 'gardening leave', in many of her races on the circuit she jogged round mid pack all the way to the finish line and it really looked like she wasn't trying. But it's hard to believe she wouldn't in a final especially as she'd already showed her hand in the semis.
  • Options
    pinkiepie232pinkiepie232 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I think so. She did something like this last year at the world championships,almost as if she wasn't trying. I think all the controversy has really effected her.

if true, that's really sad. I feel sorry for her. Those ba***ds really ruined her methinks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's possible she is afraid of the attention winning might give her, which would mean more controversy and questions; but I think she used poor tactics if she wanted to win.
  • Options
    lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is some truth in what Colin says,Semenya was hanging at the back for no reason as it wasn't a fast start, i think her head isn't right and has let the controversies affect her running.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she thought the huge and noisy crowd would boo her if she won. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lightblues wrote: »
    I think there is some truth in what Colin says,Semenya was hanging at the back for no reason as it wasn't a fast start, i think her head isn't right and has let the controversies affect her running.
    It may have been panic rather than deliberately throwing the race. Will be interesting to see if her coach speaks publicly about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see why. It's not like she was a drugs cheat or anything.
    The crowd has been generally respectful, even when Gatlin recieved his medal.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe she realises she has an unfair advantage over other female athletes & still wants to compete but doesn't want to deny someone a gold medal?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh stuff and nonsense
    she didn't win and that's it!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Why would she throw the race? Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't normally agree with Jackson's analysis but Caster did run a strange race, especially after looking so in charge during the semi. And her power in the home straight suggested the race would have been hers if she had followed Savinova - who ran an excellent race btw.

And, though this might be reading too much into it, Caster looked even happier than the Savinova when she stepped onto the podium - as if she'd done exactly what she set out to do. TBH, after all she's been through I really wouldn't be surprised if she did throw the race to avoid more media scrutiny. God knows she's had enough.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was absolutely zero chance of that happening, and I don't see how any athlete who'd been around the stadium would think so either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a weird race but she is still very young and inexperienced so I think it was more likely to have been a genuine tactical error rather than losing on purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't normally agree with Jackson's analysis but Caster did run a strange race, especially after looking so in charge during the semi. And her power in the home straight suggested the race would have been hers if she had followed Savinova - who ran an excellent race btw.

And, though this might be reading too much into it, Caster looked even happier than the Savinova when she stepped onto the podium - as if she'd done exactly what she set out to do. TBH, after all she's been through I really wouldn't be surprised if she did throw the race to avoid more media scrutiny. God knows she's had enough.
    If she'd won it comfortably in 1.55, the first question some journos would ask is, is the hormone treatment effective enough? There wouldn't be much praise for the win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They also said Dobriskey looked like she cruised her semi final and had plently left to be a medal contender. Look what happened to her.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was there when she ran in the heats and she got a huge cheer when she was announced. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she wants to win by the smallest margin possible, which is easy to get slightly wrong. She got it wrong in Daegu as well. To what degree it's subconscious or deliberate is hard to say. My own feeling is that she could win easily, but there could obviously be issues with that.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was. Almost WR pace.

SHe looked amazing in the semi, but awful the rest of the year. Im not sure of she run that fast in the end either, just everyone else slowed down