1D magazine prints really horrible article about Caroline Flack

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony of the Daily Mail complaining about it - yeah, they're never horrible to women...

One Direction fans are ****ing crazy though.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trumpet101 wrote: »

This was doing the rounds on Tumblr ages ago. Daily Fail as quick off the mark as ever. :rolleyes:

Obviously it's a disgusting article that sums up a lot of people's hatred towards any woman that dares to act outside of an impossibly restrictive ideal, but I've read just as offensive things on the DM website in the comments and on here (not about Caroline per se - at the moment Tulisa seems to be the new female hate figure for the XF keyboard critics.)

Sadly, this article is nothing particularly new. The only difference is it's in a published, hard copy format.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    The irony of the Daily Mail complaining about it - yeah, they're never horrible to women...

One Direction fans are ****ing crazy though.

This wasn't written by a fan though? It's an actual journalist who wrote this...

And _elly001 I agree 100%, you can find comments like that all over the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    This was doing the rounds on Tumblr ages ago. Daily Fail as quick off the mark as ever. :rolleyes:

Obviously it's a disgusting article that sums up a lot of people's hatred towards any woman that dares to act outside of an impossibly restrictive ideal, but I've read just as offensive things on the DM website in the comments and on here (not about Caroline per se - at the moment Tulisa seems to be the new female hate figure for the XF keyboard critics.)

Sadly, this article is nothing particularly new. The only difference is it's in a published, hardcopy format.

Yeah but surely the "keyboard warriors" on the DM and on here are just that - trolls who hide behind their computer screens and keyboards firing insults at whoever they want.

This is really nasty and is printed in an official magazine, by an official magazine company - and it seems to justify or even fuel hatred towards Caroline. I can't believe it was ever approved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wasn't written by a fan though? It's an actual journalist who wrote this...

It was written by a professional journalist to appeal to One Direction fans. Somehow the author got the idea that Directioners like to insult the girlfriends of band members. No idea how they made that logical leap...

Not that the behaviour of crazy One Direction fans in any way excuses the journalist who wrote that, they're both awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but surely the "keyboard warriors" on the DM and on here are just that - trolls who hide behind their computer screens and keyboards firing insults at whoever they want.

This is really nasty and is printed in an official magazine, by an official magazine company - and it seems to justify or even fuel hatred towards Caroline. I can't believe it was ever approved.

We live in a culture where the vast majority of the publishing industry's entertainment source material comes from the internet. Yes, this 'journalist' (though I wouldn't genuinely award that title to them as I'm the sort of old-fashioned person who believes that journalism should be fuelled by integrity and authenticity) shouldn't have done this, that's perfectly obvious, but at some point we need to look at the bigger picture, and think about why this was ever seen as a good idea by the person who wrote it and the editor that approved it.

I doubt the magazine is 'official' - ie. approved by the band's record label or management team etc, and it's shameful that they might be making a profit from this kind of drivel, but they'll probably be able to claim freedom of press just as people on the internet claim free speech. They haven't written anything threatening about Caroline, so whatever you want to happen to this magazine probably won't come about any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have their own magazine? :o
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    We live in a culture where the vast majority of the publishing industry's entertainment source material comes from the internet. Yes, this 'journalist' (though I wouldn't genuinely award that title to them as I'm the sort of old-fashioned person who believes that journalism should be fuelled by integrity and authenticity) shouldn't have done this, that's perfectly obvious, but at some point we need to look at the bigger picture, and think about why this was ever seen as a good idea by the person who wrote it and the editor that approved it.

I doubt the magazine is 'official' - ie. approved by the band's record label or management team etc, and it's shameful that they might be making a profit from this kind of drivel, but they'll probably be able to claim freedom of press just as people on the internet claim free speech. They haven't written anything threatening about Caroline, so whatever you want to happen to this magazine probably won't come about any time soon.

I don't particular "want" anything to happen to the magazine and I have no deep feelings either way towards Caroline or 1D - but I do have an interest in how the press works and I have to say that I wonder too how it was ever seen as a good idea! At the end of the day, a reporter has suggested it, it's been approved by an editor, possibly a features/news editor as well, put together by a page designer, and presumably proof read before publication - and nobody thought, maybe this is taking it a bit far?! Bonkers.

Also, the DM run stories about women looking crap all the time and get absolutely slated for it on here (there was a thread on showbiz about it just yesterday), and this to me is no different. Except perhaps even more blatant.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't particular "want" anything to happen to the magazine and I have no deep feelings either way towards Caroline or 1D - but I do have an interest in how the press works and I have to say that I wonder too how it was ever seen as a good idea! At the end of the day, a reporter has suggested it, it's been approved by an editor, possibly a features/news editor as well, put together by a page designer, and presumably proof read before publication - and nobody thought, maybe this is taking it a bit far?! Bonkers.

Also, the DM run stories about women looking crap all the time and get absolutely slated for it on here (there was a thread on showbiz about it just yesterday), and this to me is no different. Except perhaps even more blatant.

Oh, I definitely agree that this is unacceptable. I hate the fact that it was ever approved, I just can't say I'm that surprised.

As you mentioned the DM website, it's probably worth pointing out that whatever people think about the stories they run there, and the way they present female celebrities, it's still one of the most clicked-on pages on the internet and that's all the Fail are interested in. Other publications and websites then try to emulate that themselves. Fuelled by some of 1D's more hysterical fanbase, they end up at the conclusion that this type of story will encourage readers to buy their magazine again.

I absoloutely think that this magazine should be made accountable; the only thing I'm trying to say is that they're not the only ones. We're raising a generation of kids who objectify women in increasingly alarming amounts, and people on the internet that think they're faceless, annoymous and entitled to their opinion on, for example, whether Tulisa is a **** or a chav need to realise that they're a huge part of this problem.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have their own magazine? :o

No!!

you know how businesses/publishers will put 1D on the cover and title/headline to lure readers.

everybody knows i love 1D but these people who want to profit from the boys this way -- i.e.printed magazine-- got it so, so wrong this time to try to feed on some fans' feelings.

i'm one with everyone this time: how could they print such a disgraceful, hateful article? they are no journalists!!:eek::mad::mad:
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did that article even get published??

Its so Horrible and Nasty towards Caroline she should definatly Sue that Magazine
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    How did that article even get published??

Its so Horrible and Nasty towards Caroline she should definatly Sue that Magazine

Cant Belive they're printing stuff like this
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an awful piece like. It was quite funny the stuff they said - but really really childish like. Only funny in that you wouldnt believe an actual magazine would say such puerile stuff. 'voodoo doodoo Caroline looks like a goat' - oh man!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What a disgusting and puerile article that amounts to bullying :mad: Worse is the fact a journalist wrote it. So what if Caroline dated 1 of 1D, she can date who she wants even if it was a big age gap :rolleyes:
    How the fivepenny fig did someone decide this nasty piece was suitable for publication? :confused::mad::eek:
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What a disgusting and puerile article that amounts to bullying :mad: Worse is the fact a journalist wrote it. So what if Caroline dated 1 of 1D, she can date who she wants even if it was a big age gap :rolleyes:
    How the fivepenny fig did someone decide this nasty piece was suitable for publication? :confused::mad::eek:
    The worrying thing is that this nasty bullying attitude is being fed to impressionable kids...:(
  • Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really horrible and immature. Lord of wee girls look up to them. Setting an awful example.. forgetting harry contributed to the relationship as well. Caroline has receive so much stick, leave her alone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really horrible and immature. Lord of wee girls look up to them. Setting an awful example.. forgetting harry contributed to the relationship as well. Caroline has receive so much stick, leave her alone

exactly ............. nasty, unnecessary article

personally I don't get the attraction with Harry, to me he's the least attractive in the group in both looks and personality .... how can the writer criticise Caroline's hair when Harry's is not disimilar to Subo's:cool:

Caroline's better off out of it as he seems to be the "fame ****" of the group
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I wonder if whoever published that article knows what they're doing... It's one thing to sit behind a computer screen and insult someone anonymously, but for a named magazine to do it... Seems like the type of thing they could potentially get in quite a bit of trouble for.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if whoever published that article knows what they're doing... It's one thing to sit behind a computer screen and insult someone anonymously, but for a named magazine to do it... Seems like the type of thing they could potentially get in quite a bit of trouble for.

That's what I was trying to say! Anonymous trolls will be anonymous trolls but a publication like this, putting it out there so blatantly, must surely face some repercussions?

It is bullying really, Caroline is a grown woman and I'm sure she can handle it but it really isn't nice.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly can one get "in trouble" or "sued" for that piece?

It's not like a defamatory sex scandal or something. Just juvenile jibes at age.