goto
    http://www.spaceweather.com/

no solar flares at present
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943) - 8/10
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I'm watching Love Actually at the moment.

It's an essential nearer to Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 8/10
    Steve Rogers wants to be a soldier, he wants it so bad that he agrees to become part of an experiment to create a race of super soldiers who will fight against Nazi Germany in the war. Unfortunatly for the allies Rogers is the only one created and as such isn't of much use so becomes a stage act in order to encourage the public to buy war bonds. But he soon tires of this and sets out to rescue hundreds of pows who are being held by Hydra. A part of the axis but an organzation with its own agenda run by the Red Skull
    . The movie ticks all the comic book boxes. A neferious villian, a cleaner than clean hero, flag waving, massive war machines and of course superhero signature moves. A little bit of location trivia for you: The street that the newly transformed Rogers runs down whilst chasing the Hydra agent is in the city that I live in....No not New York but Manchester in the UK. Its called Dale Street and for a good few months it was close off whilst filming was taking place. It was chosen as a location because of the architecture which was thought to be right for the period.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In A Lonely Place (1950) - Humphrey Bogart, Gloria Grahame 7.5/10
    Kiss Of Death (1947) - Victor Mature, Richard Widmark 8/10
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Latin Quarter [1945]. Director: Vernon Sewell

6/10

Thriller with supernatural leanings and a climax familiar from horror cinema.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hobbit

10/10.
    Forum Member
    Lips of Blood (1975) 5/10
    As a child Frédéric had gotten lost one day and found himself in the ruins of a castle where he was befriended by a young woman. Twenty years later he sees a poster of the ruins and starts to remember that night which he has since forgotten. He starts to see visions of the young woman beckoning him but someone is trying to stop him from finding the castle. Meanwhile there are four vampire women, (two of them inexplicably nude beneath diaphanous gowns in the wind no less), who are determined to help Frédéric find the young woman. A typical Rollin vampire film more about style rather than story. The ending scene with the two naked on the beach made me laugh because Annie Belle visibly shivered in the wind. Perhaps vampires do feel the cold!
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Silent Night (2012) - 7/10

Schizophrenic, but enjoyable.
  • KathyFan12KathyFan12 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

10/10
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdNoctum wrote: »
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 8/10
    Steve Rogers wants to be a soldier, he wants it so bad that he agrees to become part of an experiment to create a race of super soldiers who will fight against Nazi Germany in the war. Unfortunatly for the allies Rogers is the only one created and as such isn't of much use so becomes a stage act in order to encourage the public to buy war bonds. But he soon tires of this and sets out to rescue hundreds of pows who are being held by Hydra. A part of the axis but an organzation with its own agenda run by the Red Skull
    . The movie ticks all the comic book boxes. A neferious villian, a cleaner than clean hero, flag waving, massive war machines and of course superhero signature moves. A little bit of location trivia for you: The street that the newly transformed Rogers runs down whilst chasing the Hydra agent is in the city that I live in....No not New York but Manchester in the UK. Its called Dale Street and for a good few months it was close off whilst filming was taking place. It was chosen as a location because of the architecture which was thought to be right for the period.

That annoyed me, as I used to cut down past the Cuba bar to go to work.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Act of valor - so-so.
    Forum Member
    Iron Man (2008) 8/10 "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" if there ever was an actor to play the role of Tony Stark then Robert Downey Jnr is the one. Its hard to imagine anyone else in the role! Filled with humorous touches and action packed! The movie starts off with the weapons maker being kidnapped by a terrorist group, (a group which works for someone as yet unseen in the Iron Man movies according to the Director), and forced to make a missle. However he builds a prototype suit that will enable him to escape. Thus Iron Man enters the world and immediately gets the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. An organization putting together a team of extraordinary people. In the meantime there is a traitor within Stark Industries who is responsible for orchestrating Starks kidnapping and they have their eyes on the new technology that powers the suit. This was the first movie filmed in the Avengers series of movies.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Midnight in Paris in fact I thought it was not a bad film at all and gave it a 7 out of 10.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red State

Didn't think I'd like this but it was a great film. Michael Parks was exceptional in the lead, and it was great to see John Goodman again, haven't seen him in movies for a long time. Shame they couldn't have gone with the ending the Director originally wanted, that would have been off the charts.

7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    The Hobbit 10/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I am watching the Total Recall remake right now, and they really did go right ahead and take the heart and soul of the original, throw that away and come up with this souless boring film with characters you don't give the tiniest toss about. The whole film is shot in dull colours and with that gimmick beloved of JJ Abrams, strips of blue light everywhere. Really over that one now. There's absolutely no humour whatsoever which it is in dire need of.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got round to watching The Dark Knight Rises and it was bloody fantastic. Better than The Dark Knight imo. I was a bit in awe of everything tbh so 10/10.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8/10
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Reef - tense little companion piece to open water 7/10
    Stake Land - well done indie vamp flick let down by lack lustre third act 6/10
    Forum Member
    The Incredible Hulk (2008) 8/10 Not really a sequel to Ang Lee's version and not really a reboot either more a sideways slant in order to make it fit in with the Avengers series of movies. There is no Hulk origin story here its General Ross chasing Banner whilst creating a supersoldier who develops into the Abonimation leading to the inevitable showdown between the two Gamma monsters. TV's Hulk, Lou Ferrigno, gets another cameo as he did in the 2003 movie as does the TV shows piano theme tune, even a reporter called Jack McGee gets a mention. Theres a lot of CGI work here as there is in a lot of these superhero movies and I know it is not liked by everyone but the way I see it, it's just another tool used by movie makers. Both sound and colour also had its detractors when they were first developed.

The Man With the Golden Arm (1955) 6/10 Frankie Machine is released from prison and has great plans. He's kicked the drug habit and has taken up the drums, he even has a stage name, Frankie Duvall! But old habits die hard and pretty soon he mixes with the old gang. Meanwhile his wife keeps a secret the consequences of which when found out by Frankies dealer could lead Frankie back to prison and the death penalty. A 50's melodrama with a great performance from Sinatra who portrays Machine's helplessness as he slides back into drug use in a believable way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Submarine
    A bit of a typical paint-by-numbers indie film with all the usual issues (relationships, fitting in at school, family issues, love etc) and the usual types of setting, characters and dress-sense, but it’s still a very good watch and is brilliantly directed by Richard Ayoade (Moss from ‘The IT Crowd’). The script is subtly amusing and the two leads are very impressive indeed – although I had never heard of either before watching – and carry the film perfectly. Yasmin Paige is also kinda cute! As mentioned, it’s all a bit predictable and by the numbers for what you expect for an indie film including the ending – but nevertheless it’s a great little film and a good watch. 7/10

Shallow Grave
    Think I have a new personal favourite Danny Boyle film! Easily his best work imo (pushing ‘28 Days Later’ into second place lol). Soundtrack is brilliant and the theme is incredibly creepy and eerie and helps with the tension, which is high throughout. Eccleston is his usual brilliant self and Ewan McGregor is very impressive – a show stealing role imo. Kerry Fox is also very good. Keith Allen also brings his usual acting flare to the proceedings in a sadly short-lived role. As with all Danny Boyle films, it is directed brilliantly and the script is top stuff with some great dark humour in there. The themes are also very good – murder, friendship, greed, trust etc. The ending is also brilliantly done, very downbeat but amusing as only Danny Boyle and a few others can be. Nice, simple twist but a great ending. For such a small budget it’s executed brilliantly. “Oh yes, I believe in friends. I believe we need them. But if one day you find out you can’t trust them anymore, what then? What then…?!” Apparently I can nail that last line :D Great stuff! 10/10

The Bourne Legacy
    There is a Matt Damon shaped hole in this movie. Rachel Weisz is annoying as hell, but cute as the doctor. I liked the way it overlapped with parts from 'Ultimatum' in order to drive the story forward – best part of the writing imo. Renner’s character’s journey seems a bit too similar to other films out there and far more pedestrian than Jason Bourne’s in the first three films. Renner may have the muscle-bound image as a soldier/tough guy compared to Damon, but it is far harder to care for his character when he is not as good an actor as Damon and his story isn’t as strong as Bourne’s. The action is amazing though (that jump down that narrow alley to save Weisz’s character is a particular highlight), the locations fit well and the score is amazing as always (shame they put that awful cover of Moby’s ‘Extreme Ways’ on the end credits though – criminal!) it’s just the plot and the not-very-well-acted lead that let the film down. As an action film it's pretty decent but as a Bourne film it's terrible. 5/10

Taken 2
    Me boy Liam Neeson ripping bad guys heads off! This should have been great but it sadly wasn’t. Imo they have TAKEN the piss with this film! The first was hardly realistic in certain areas but was a very likable action movie with a strong underlying aspect to the plot. This has a decent setup but a crap follow-through. The rest of the movie feels like a complete retread of the first and imo it’s a totally unnecessary sequel. Even Neeson seems fed up; his character even says something like “I’ve had enough of this!” – Too true! Another thing, Maggie Grace playing a teenager in the first film was a stretch but I could overlook that, here it’s just insulting to believe her character is still a teenager. Grace is too old for the role. Has to be said that Neeson is great in it though, it’s just the rest of the film that is a major letdown. The first film was a very good action film (with numerous OTT elements granted) and a guilty pleasure, this one just feels like a rehash to try and relive the popularity of the first one. Another unnecessary sequel imo. 3/10

No Country For Old Men
    Based on the novel. The plot is wafer thin but is executed brilliantly for the first three quarters of the movie, it’s the last quarter where it falls apart slightly and fizzles out rather than going out on a high. The lack of showdown is also pretty poor. That being said, there is some solid direction and camera work by the Coen brothers, the setting is great, the minimalistic soundtrack is used to great effect, even if it’s as far from Hollywood as you can get and the actors and actresses work their socks off throughout. While the other talent involved is good – Kelly MacDonald shines, Josh Brolin is quality and Tommy Lee Jones is as good as ever even in a pointless role – the star is very much Javier Bardem. He is brutally amazing with his hypnotic thousand yard stare and gravelly voice as the antagonist. The scene in the shop with him and the coin toss and the scene in the hotel rooms are brilliant stand-out moments. In all, I have no problem with the bad guy winning; it’s just the writing for the final act feels so sloppy and out of place. Tommy Lee Jones (no matter how good he is) could have been cut also. The film is still pretty decent and the acting, setting and direction are amazing! This truly is a modern western on the surface with dark themes underneath. The ending aside, it’s worth watching for various reasons, especially just to see why Javier Bardem bagged himself all those awards (too many to list!). Points deduced for the poor ending I’d give this: 7.5/10

That’s me finally up-to-date with all the movies I had stockpiled to watch! Back to doing active stuff now I guess :D
This discussion has been closed.